What do you do?

cc1963

Do you take your kids with you or leave them home? If you leave them home, what arrangements do you make? We are going on a 7 day cruise and the Grandparents will be with our son (he's 16) for all but two days and for those two days I'm going to ask his friend's mom if he can stay over at their house. This will be the first time in 16 years we've gone on a weeks' vacation without our son (its our 20th anniversary) and I'm alternating between being excited about having undivided time with my husband and guilt/nerves for leaving son home. :eek:

After your first time away from him, you will see how wonderful it is for you and you DH to have some real alone time. Our kids were 13 and 11 the first time we ever left them for more than an overnight at friends. We have no grandparents and aunts and uncles all work, so vacation was always family time. That was 2 years ago and we haven't gone away alone since, but we will within the next year. If we could manage it, we would do it at least once a year.

Last year, we left our kids for the first time, they were 8 and 10. I had to fly grandma in from across the country. The kids got to spend some quality time with grandma, and I got to spend quality time with their dad. We promotly scheduled a second vacation alone within a month of our return, now it is only 3 weeks away.

If you are like me, once you walk out the door, you will relax, all the details will be in place, and you will enjoy your week away. It really is good for the kids to experience change and life without mom and dad. I just wish I would have had the opportunity to start earlier.

We have always taken one family vacation and one "just us" vacation every year since our girls were little. They always had a great time with their grandparents and had (almost) more fun than if they were with us.

The girls are now 17 & 20 and looking forward to their second cruise with us in March. I love having them with us but I also love the alone time! Do not feel guilty- you are more than "just a mom!" And-- I think my kids appreciate me more when they don't have me around for a week:)

It will be good for both of you to start cutting the apon strings. At least he is with grandma for a while and friends after. When you come back you can plan a movie night out with him. This is what we did when we left our son with friends once for a long weekend. He enjoyed it and told me he learned how to start cooking (he burnt the potatoes). He now is the head cook in his household.

DH and I have taken many long weekends since first child was 5 weeks old! Now, we are blessed with 2 grandmas in town, and one less than 2 hours away. (one DH's stepmom). They are all in late 50s, active, 2 do not work, one has very flexible hours. So our children have developed close bonds with each of them, and we have been able to keep our marriage strong.

We did finally take a cruise for our 10 year in Oct. We were gone 10 days total, and eveb I was a bit worried about being gone so long. 9 year old did freak about the fact that we hadn't called, since we call daily on long weekends. But fianlly got to email a couple times. They had a BLAST, and so did we! Plus that cruising thing is such an escape from reality w/ no phones, newspapers, CNN (USA), even little email.

Leaving children with grandparents is such a blessing. Plus your son is old enough to worry little. You will miss each other, but appreciate each other more afterward.

We also vacation each summer w/ the children. Also fun, but not as relaxing! Drove 3 days each way to the NJ shore this summer to stay a week. We really had fun! But children near water require constant supervision.

SO it was nice to vacation w/o worrying about the safety of the children.

BUT family cruise on Disney next Xmas!

Sorry so long-winded.

Happy cruising!

Kristin

Go and have a great time... Your child will be in great hands... We have cruised with our kids and without our kids.. We try to do 2 vacations a year.. One with the kids and one without.. so they know this upfront.. Last year we only did one cruise and it was by ourselves although it was only a 4 day cruise that was unexpected.. we are doing a 7 day cruise as a family this year and the kids understand that as adults we do things on our own.. My ex husband actually takes care of my children and my boyfriends ex wife keeps hers..

Thank you so much for your replies. I tend to be a worrier - sure you guys didn't pick up on that! :rolleyes: I do feel better after hearing from you and as alwysonvctn said, once I'm out the door and on the boat, I will relax. It will be the first real vacation in years for my husband since he is in IT and they call him on his cell phone all the time, anytime. I guess that will be hard for them to do in the middle of the ocean! :D Anyway, thank you all again and I wish you all Happy Crusing and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Hi, CC 1963 ....

I found a great thread on here not too long ago ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=100979

This thread was entitled .... Leaving kids for first time ... any tips???

I found some great info here, as I will be leaving my 6 year old for the first time this year ((well, first time w/out it being a work function and first time where I wont be able to call and check on her every day)).

I am also slightly freaking out about this ((7 day cruise, but 10 day vacation)), but also know that my mom raised me and my 3 brothers and we all survived. I'm sure my daughter will too! :D

Besides, her dad was entitled to a honeymoon with his new wife recently, I'd say its my turn to have some fun w/ my boyfriend! :D

Have a great cruise! And don't worry -- there are plenty of ways for someone to reach you in case of emergency, and you'll have a wonderful time!!

Finally928, thank you so much for your words and for the link! I am feeling better about this all the time! I am really excited about spending some adult time with my hubby. It is reassuring to know others have "been there, done that" and everything was fine. Enjoy your time away with your boyfriend!

Thanks!! I am hoping that this will be the first of many vacations for us!! :D And you're right -- that link is a godsend! Everytime I start getting a bit freaked out, I go back and re-read it!!

You enjoy your time w/ hubby as well!!

Archived