Herod tours?

recia

Herod’s Tour 9/2/09

This is my review of Herod's Tour 9/2/09 and it is the opinion of this cruiser and his wife. A little background about us. We are 50, Diamond members of Royal Caribbean and this was cruise 16 for us, 15 on RCCL and 1 on Celebrity. We have sailed all ships in the Voyager class, as well as Majesty and Brilliance. We sailed on the 8/30 cruise of Adventure of the Seas, Barbados itinerary. We sailed this same ship three times in the past year and took a St. Lucia Tour with Cosul in August of 2008. I am reviewing Herod’s Tour in comparison to Cosul’s tour last year.

We hooked up with a small group from our Roll Call thread (thanks Stampin!) and thought we had a small group (Herod required ten people to book) of maybe 14 people. Anyway the day of the tour, we followed instructions and went through the terminal looking for someone holding a HEROD sign. We connected with a nice family from New York and awaited the remainder of the group. The difference with Cosul is that he is permitted to meet passengers in front of the terminal just outside the ship, while Herod is awaiting his approval. He anticipates having it shortly, but no real issue, you go through the terminal to the right, he meets you right there.

Unbeknownst to us, another larger group from New York, 26 in all had also booked with Herod. They were very tardy, so I took the HEROD sign and went through the terminal to find them. The group were slowly getting off the ship, but this time is was after 8:30. Fortunately, Herod had booked a separate bus for them, so they did not affect us the rest of the day. Anyway, we were organized into two vans, and we were assigned to the single auto in the group, the “Beverage Vehicle”. Joseph was the driver, a cousin of Herod who grew up with him. He was most personable, and we knew immediately that this tour would be a little more personal than Cosuls.

Joseph pointed out many things immediately in Castries, including the beautiful cathedral and the massive tree in the center square. During the trip, he pointed out many local customs, informed us of varied history of the island, and some of his own upbrininging. We did many similar things to the Cosul Tour, the banana plantation, visiting the local bakery for the best bread on the island (still warm!), the many viewing points and Kodak moments like the Dr. Doolittle sight, the waterfalls and the drive-in volcano.

The volcano was different. Cosul stopped, but Herod hired a guide to give us the history of the volcano, and brought us to another angle for pictures. The guide was personable and very informative. We exited north of the volcano this time and entered a cocoa plantation and headed to a lovely home with a view of Petite Piton! It was Herod’s parent’s home!

We were greeted with a spacious veranda, covered from the elements with a well set table and a buffet of local food prepared by Herod’s mother and served by his family. We all sat, approximately 20 of us and offered water, punch or fresh passion fruit juice. Most preferred the passion fruit juice which was delicious! A hummingbird hovered around a bush full of flowers just off the veranda! The fauna was lovely and well maintained. We were so pleased to be under cover when the skies opened and a quick downpour commenced. Last year, we ate a wonderful meal on Cosul’s tour, but ate out in the open, which would have been difficult with this years rain.

The buffet featured local foods such as Cod Cakes, Chicken, beef, cooked and fried plantains, potatoes, coleslaw, Mac & Cheese, and so much more. There was plenty for everyone, enough for seconds for all who wished. We were able to meet and converse with Herod’s mother and father who were most engaging.

Herod’s Dad, Alphonsus, was a 45 year Educator, the Principal of the local high school. His family has lived on this plantation for generations, with both he and Herod being born in the house next door, which still stands. He is now an Agricultural Consultant with Hotel Chocolat, a British company who is building a manufacturing plant on the plantation next spring. The greenhouses on the plantation are growing cocoa trees, some planted on the plantation, and some for sale to islanders, who will then sell the cocoa to the manufacturing company.

After this wonderful experience, we headed to downtown Soufries to board Herod’s boat to Jalousie Beach, as many know if situated between the Grand and Petite Pitons, a beautiful beach at a lovely resort. We had a few sprinkles while at the beach, but the sun won out for awhile. We stayed maybe an hour and headed back to the ship. The boat can be a little rocky, but it drops you right at the ship, and we arrived in plenty of time before the ship departs.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day, as we did last year with Cosul. Both are excellent values, informative, and a great way to spend a day. If we had to choose, we would probably go with Herod, for the following reasons. It seemed a bit more personal, the highlight of lunch at his parent’s home, and the boat ride back to the ship

Yes I did and when I went back to check it was gone. Looked at the Notice above and figured that is why it was taken down. So now it is back by request. Do you have an email address for them, I am having trouble getting past the home page on their web page.

• 2 weeks later...

A group of us did Herod's Land & Sea a couple years ago (11/07). Herod is an excellent guy who operates a first class tour. I concur with other posters' commendations. We had bunch of kids with us which is an interest challenge guiding a full day tour. He was great and kept them engaged and interested (adults too) with tasting cocoa nuts and touching boas, dunking waterfalls, beaches, Soufriere etc. etc. If you want a personable, well informed, all encompassing view of St. Lucia you can't do better.

We did Herod's tour back in April of this year. Definitely one of the best tours we have ever been on. Went with a group from our roll call and saw more of the island than we imagined (and never seemed to run out of Pitons Beers). I would highly recommend Herod's Land and Sea tour.

since you are gone most of the day - do the tour guides make stops use the rest room faciliites and where are they??

YOu would think they would have to and are they clean

I know, I know I am paranoid

carol

Archived