Photographing moon

airhead22

Are you using a filter on your lens (ie. a UV filter, or any other filter)? If so, try re-taking the picture without the filter. I believe this is a common symptom of plain, uncoated UV filters. However, this type of reflection is a lot less in those multi-coated & more expensive UV filters.

See if it works, and let us know! :)

The phenomenon is called ghosting. As Picsboy said, the most common cause is an uncoated filter. Another rule of thumb while photographing the moon in the night sky is to expose for daylight: f/8 - 1/250 - ISO 100 (the moon is in full sun after all!)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Another rule of thumb while photographing the moon in the night sky is to expose for daylight: f/8 - 1/250 - ISO 100 (the moon is in full sun after all!)

x2.... I have had my best success on DSLR with the settings mentioned @ 1/125 or 1/250.

If you don't want to go full manual to get the "daylight" exposure you can set your camera to spot metering and have the center box in your viewfinder on the moon when you depress the shutter button half way. This will cause the camera to set the exposure on the bright moon and not the huge mass of dark sky.

Archived