how safe are the stingrays???

shipmade

We missed stingray city last year because my kids were too scared to go because of what happened to the crocodile hunter. I told them the stingers are removed, but no matter how hard I tried to convince them, they didn't want to go. We'll be cayman again in december and am one more time trying to book the stingray city tour. If this tour is just so-so I'm going to be in the dog house. Anyone have any reviews???

From what I understand, the rays still have their stingers intact, but because they are so used to people, there is no danger...a friend of mine was there in March and he said that all you had to worry about was to make sure you shuffled your feet along the bottom so as you didn't step directly on a stingray....what happened to Steve Irwin was a one in a million occurance...we are going to Stingray City next March and have no qualms about entering the water with these creatures

The Stingrays definitely have their barbs.

There is very little danger, but a very few visitors to the rays each year do get stung. It is much more common to receive a bruise from the powerful suction the rays' mouths generate when they suck up their food.

The barb of the southern stingray is mildly venomous. A sting causes redness, swelling, and intense pain. The barb often fragments in the skin causing, requiring medical attention to debride the wound.

If a person is stung, the tour operator will make contact with 9-1-1 emergency services to arrange transport back to shore. An ambulance will be sent to meet the patient for transport to the hospital. The doctor at Accident and Emergency will handle treatment. If needed, the ship's shore agent will be notified to coordinate disembarkation from the ship.

Hi- I'd also like to add that these stingrays are use to swimming with hundreds of people everyday for most of their lifetime. They are wild creatures but are also gentle and do not aim to "attack" or to hurt you unless they are harmed first. If you are scared of them just avoid feeding them/holding and just swim in the water and they will surely swim about you and the kids peacefully. Once everyone is actually in the water its not really that scary anymore. Sometimes kids feel better if they have watershoes on but it is definitely not necessary.

Just some advice also - some of the tour operators will let you "jump" in and then swim into the sand bar but you can also just hop in/climb a ladder off the back. I would suggest against jumping in if they are worried about stingrays in case there is one that comes swimming from under the boat or something

Also in all the years I have been visitng stingray city and the caymans (20+) I have never heard of anyone getting seriously injured from these stingrays. The most that I have heard would be when someone is feeding them directly from their hand and the stingray sucking the top layer of skin or something. ...But that is rare.

The thrill that you get from meeting these wonderful creatures definitely outweighs the risks. The rays at Grand Cayman are Southern rays with their stingers intact. However, they have been accustomed to people there for a very long time. Fishermen used to throw out discards from their catch, and the rays would feed on them...and they soon realised that these people posed no threat to them. The rays there are docile and are unlikely to hurt tourists. My brother accidentally stepped on one...and he's still alive (not that you should do that). Some of them do brush against you, but some of them intentionally raise a wing to avoid touching you too. =P Hehe

The stingray tour that I took was truly an amazing experience and one that I look forward to doing again. The guides are very familiar with the stingrays and do a great job handling them. You can pet them or feed them or they'll even lay them across your open arms.

I realize that it may not be for some people and respect that some have a real fear. If your children choose to go, I hope that they have an awesome experience. :)

Good luck!!

Yes I am one of those "scaredy cats". But all of my group were going on this tour, so I didnt want to be left out. When most if not all people were off the boat and in the water, I went in very carefully off the back ladder, into the water and swam forward about 4 or 5 feet to where I could stand up to my shoulders. I am 5ft 3. Like some one else above said, if you are scared, best not to try feeding or holding/touching them. That is what I did. The most I felt was one or two of them gliding by and "brushing" my leg with their "wings/flaps/fins"? but it was very gentle and I swam for a few minutes, then made my way back to the ladder and back up on board. Watched all my freinds having a ball! and felt like a wimp for being so inhibited. But we are who we are. I look back on the experience now very fondly, so if I can do it....most can. But with children, best let them decide when they are ready.:)

I'm a huge wimp - but I did it...it's totally safe. They're easy to handle - I even gave one a big smooch. It's a little weird at first but you get used to it quickly. The Moby Dick guys were the best - they handle the rays so you can pet them - then you get comfortable - then it's nothing but fun.

As for the ship excursions - I'm not sure if you get time on the Reef before hand (or after - whenever) - Moby Dick gives you snorkel time - that's a huge bonus. Plus - they give you lots of info on Rays and the Reef - totally worth the $40 US.

DON'T EAT LUNCH on the island - unless you want to drop $50 on fried crap. Prices at most restaurants are in GC $ - so you end up paying more than you expected.

If you want to be totally safe, visit the Turtle Farm. When I was there 2 years ago it was the best part of the whole island. I had a blast and they are so fascinating to look at and learn about. Some of the turtles there were as big as my dining room table top. At the turtle farm you even get to hold them.

...some of the tour operators will let you "jump" in and then swim into the sand bar but you can also just hop in/climb a ladder off the back. I would suggest against jumping in if they are worried about stingrays in case there is one that comes swimming from under the boat or something...

We're going to GC in mid-October and taking my mother-in-law and her friend. They are both short, less that 5ft, and neither swims. From the photos on-line, it looks like the water is about waist deep. But, what about the "trip" from the boat to the sandbar? Is it just step off onto the sandbar, or is there a distance they must swim?

Thanks

...jerry

We're going to GC in mid-October and taking my mother-in-law and her friend. They are both short, less that 5ft, and neither swims. From the photos on-line, it looks like the water is about waist deep. But, what about the "trip" from the boat to the sandbar? Is it just step off onto the sandbar, or is there a distance they must swim?

Thanks

...jerry

Just a quick 'step of the ladder' and there you are. No swimming needed at all.

Rich

We missed stingray city last year because my kids were too scared to go because of what happened to the crocodile hunter. I told them the stingers are removed, but no matter how hard I tried to convince them, they didn't want to go. We'll be cayman again in december and am one more time trying to book the stingray city tour. If this tour is just so-so I'm going to be in the dog house. Anyone have any reviews???

Search the Cayman Islands threads for "stingray" and you will find numerous entries with a very common theme: BEST. EXCURSION. EVER. Even people who were frightened of them and gave them a chance are prone to report their enjoyment of the experience (see Sparky8 above). I have posted on this topic too many times to do anything but repeat myself. Check out all the comments and show the kids some of the YouTube video on how they look and act--the link is on one of the other threads.

You can tell your kids that Steve Irwin was swimming near the stingray equivalent of a wild mountain lion, while the 'rays at Stingray City act more like sheep at a petting zoo, or friendly/curious stray kitties that want food and some love.:) Do not lie to them about the stingers, but remind them that the pet dog or cat has teeth and claws, and won't use them unless in danger, hurt, or frightened. If I were you, I'd take them to the sandbar, let them see the other people (and children) play safely with the 'rays, get into the water and hold them up and "protect" them until perhaps they get the idea that this is actually fun. The "tour" is just getting out to the 'rays--playing with them is the fun part.

Good luck and let us know how the kids like the 'rays!

Just went (with Stingray Sailing .com) and though my 76 year old mother swore she wouldn't get off the boat, she was one of the first ones in and she loved every second of it. They're like cats, rubbing up against your leg. If you feed one, about 5 come at you and you feel bad you don't have food for each of them. But I'm sure they all get their fill. :D

With kids, I'd definately recommend a non-ship tour and make sure you pick one with a small group size. It may cost $5 or $10 more, but it's well worth it. The kids will feel much safer I think. Our 3 crew members were just lovely, making sure we all had plenty of chances to touch/hold/feed the rays if we wanted to. The only 2 things you need to remember are not to grap the tail and run your hand up toward the body, and not to scream and fuss and jump around.

We were there last year with Capt. Marvins' and it was awesome! I was a little frightened at first and just went down the ladder into the water and our guide gave us instruction on how to hold the stingrays. Eventually, I was feeding and kissing them. They provided the food and the rays suck from your hand as you hold it in your fist and they can just suck it out of the top (thumb/finger side) of you hand!!! It is really an awesome experience! I would definately do it again!!! Capt. Marvins' guides were great and made me feel at ease. I think we were feeding them squid and occasionally other fish would try to take it from our hands. It was the highlight of our trip!!!

Archived