Snorkeling in Aruba

CRUISERTN

We have been to Aruba in mid to late March and the current was way too strong for snorkeling anywhere on the island. The locals said it does happen sometimes during that time of year. However, we were there again in early February at another time and the current was still too strong. Was this just something unusual or is the current always strong....talking about the area around Arashi each time. Is there an area to go that has less current, and is there a better time of year when the current is not as strong?

Just before you get to Arashi, you will see Malmok and Boca Catalina which imo have calmer water. Also - in the late afternoon, when the wind picks up you will find the water gets a bit rough over there as well.

I wld recommend trying Boca/Malmok earlier in the day. Also- all the beaches by the hotels have calm waters.

Hope this helps!

jolly

I second the opinion on snorkeling Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove. They are best early in the a.m. but I have snorkeled there late afternoon as well. Current was not too bad, visibility wasn't the best though :(

Arubalisa - is the visibility better in the morning, or just not as strong current? Which area has the best visibility? I have seen photos posted from some of the snorkeling around Boca Catalina and the visibility looked good....maybe they got lucky that day!! I had mentioned Arashi, but I think we were actually at Boca Catalina....there is the house across the street and a few little palapas at the beach area........we got off the bus at the circle and walked about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile on the left....it was late morning and the current was terribly strong and visibility was zero.....it was the first part of February....I know certain times of the year the current is stronger than others. We are going back again at the end of March and want to try it again.

Arubalisa - is the visibility better in the morning, or just not as strong current? Which area has the best visibility?
Overall currents are less AND visibility generally better earlier. As the day goes along and the tradewinds kick up, so does the water (currents) and thus decreased visibility. We have been on the island when it has been rainy and this will cause lousy visibility as well. Keep in mind though you will never find perfect visibility in Aruba. Just the way it is. :(
I have seen photos posted from some of the snorkeling around Boca Catalina and the visibility looked good....maybe they got lucky that day!! I had mentioned Arashi, but I think we were actually at Boca Catalina....there is the house across the street and a few little palapas at the beach area........
Arashi has a plain white sandy bottom. Did the house have an infinity pool? :) I have a photo of it here. If so that is Catalina Cove and the best spot for snorkeling. Entry is easier at Boca Catalina just to the south. In June when I was last there I entered on the beach at BC and snorkeled northward to CC. Just check the current first otherwise you will be walking the road back in your wet bathing suit. :( I was there about 3 pm and this was the first thing I did to make sure I could get back. This may give you an idea of the visibility, these were a school of long fin Pompano

palometa_longfin_pompano_sm.jpg and Surgeon fish surgeonfishd_sm.jpg

There was an excursion called "Dream On" offered on the Coral Quay. They no longer have a website. So I am not sure they are still in business.

If it is the same snorkeling spot I am thinking of it is Mike's Reef. Tranquilo sails there on their "south side lunch cruise" http://www.tranquiloaruba.com/tours/our-famous-south-side-lunch-cruise/. There is a shallow snorkel as well as a drift snokel. All in all one of our favorite excursions in Aruba. I have written reviews of our trips here and here and have a video here

There was an excursion called "Dream On" offered on the Coral Quay. They no longer have a website. So I am not sure they are still in business.

If it is the same snorkeling spot I am thinking of it is Mike's Reef. Tranquilo sails there on their "south side lunch cruise" http://www.tranquiloaruba.com/tours/our-famous-south-side-lunch-cruise/. There is a shallow snorkel as well as a drift snokel. All in all one of our favorite excursions in Aruba. I have written reviews of our trips here and here and have a video here

That's it!! Mike was the owner of the boat and had said he was co-owner of the reef. We so enjoyed our time out with him. It is good to know that I have other options of getting there though. Thank you. I do wish I could find out what happened to him. We were so looking forward to going out with him again.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, your site is very impressive. I learned alot about Aruba by reading and watching the videos. You have been a great help in me deciding on going there. I can't wait to see Aruba in April.

Kathy

Archived