Transportation from Seward to Anchorage and flights home??

Jake's Mom

Hi everyone,

My family and I will be cruising on the Radiance of the Seas in June 2010 and I am trying to choose our flights home. We will be doing the northbound itinerary that will end in Seward.

We live in New Orleans, LA, so the trip home will be a long one. I am considering spreading the return trip home over a couple of days. I don't think that my 5 year old could take 13 hours in and out of airplanes.

I would like to travel from Seward to Anchorage on embarkation day and then fly to Seattle on that same day, but hopefully arrive in Seattle before 10:00 pm. Does anyone know if this is possible or practical? I don't want to book a flight to Seattle, until I am certain of my transportation options upon leaving the ship.

I would really appreciate any input or advice from those who have traveled the northbound itinerary.

Thank you,

Jake's Mom:)

It is a 3 hour bus ride Seward/Anchorage, or a 4++ hour train ride. You can disembark starting about 6am. The ship will have buses and likely a cruise contracted train. All go to the airport. There is also independent buses and the Alaska RR at 6pm. listings http://www.seward.com http://www.anchorage.net Finally a rental car option with Hertz.

You would be safe, booking any afternoon flight. This would have you in Seattle in your timeframe.

You're smart to be thinking of this before making plans. We just returned from a weeklong wedding/family reunion trip to Seattle with our kids and grandkids, including a 5 year old. By the end of a week, we were all tired and wanted to be home! 3 plus hours on the plane was enough for the five year old. 1 hour time difference between here and Seattle, so you need to leave Anchorage before 5:30...Alaska Air has many flights to Seattle every day, and you don't pay extra for one ways, so you should have no problem finding a flight in the correct time frame.

Notice the 4++ time for the train. Our southbound train from Anchorage to Seward took 7 hours because we saw lots of wildlife and the train slowed to allow everyone to see. As a result, our train lost "priority" on the rail and we had to sit for other trains to pass.

Archived