Malibu Beach and Rum

sunquest76

We were there last January on a ship's excursion. To be honest, if you were not part of a group there were no chairs for you. It's also not in the most appealing of spots, but the beach itself is pretty. Personnally, I wouldn't go back.

We had previously gone w/ a ship excursion ... but plan to go back on our own via a short taxi ride this time ... as we'd like to spend more time there and do the rum distillery tour (since it wasn't offered when we first went).

The only question I have ... is it open on SUNDAYS? All indications say NO (even when I called there to confirm ... they said no). However, our ship will be in port on Sunday and it's offered as a shorex with the ship. Does anyone know 100% sure?

The beach was great ... and the drinks were even better :p

Sounds like you can walk to this beach from the pier. Yay. We have a stroller so walking is a good option for us. Thanks!!!

It sounds like it ... but we were going to just take a quick taxi over ... since I'm not sure if they'll be open ... so that we can move on to another stop ... if need be.

BTW, when will you be there? If it's before the beginning of November when we're there ... could you give more details on this thread when you get back.

Thank you so much!

We're not there til January 2010. Could you report back to me? Hope this turns out well, I'm struggling with cost effective activities!

LOL ... sure no problem ;)

We're on a 14-night repo to 8 different ports ... so I know exactly what you mean re: *cost effective activities*. I have independent shorex booked in 4 of the 8 ... and decided to just *rough it* for the other 4 by doing our own walking tours around town or going to Malibu Beach Club for less $.

BTW, I believe that I read somewhere that all the beaches in Barbados are FREE ... and there's one right near the pier (if Malibu doesn't work for you or me) ... so that's definitely a good option too :p

Beaches may be free, but I know cabs at some ports aren't (Antigua is one of them). Plus we have a 13 month old and don't want to bring a car seat. Thankfully I don't mind researching and my husband doesn't mind agreeing with me :D

My DH doesn't like to research either ... he doesn't even know what ship, date, itinerary, etc. that we're sailing on either ... so he basically just goes where I tell him to ;)

P.S. I don't know of any ports where the cabs are free ... have you come across one?

No free cabs, but cheaper in Tortola. I haven't looked at cabs many places.

Yes ... you're absolutely right. And Antigua shorex is also on the high end. Matter a fact, I'm looking for something *cost effective* in Antigua right now ... do you have any suggestions?

No cheap tours in Antigua, we're probably doing a catamaran trip at $79pp (from the ship). We're also stopping in Tortola (beaches on our own), Samana (undecided) and St Kitts (undecided). Any suggestions?

Tortola ...

definitely The Baths at Virgin Gorda ... book thru CL (if it's not already sold out) ... or take it on your own using Speedy's Ferry (or other ferry services) ... see the CC Tortola boards at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290

Samana ...

we're taking an Island Tour w/ Terry Bandi for ~$50/person that's about 5-6 hours ... and includes lunch at his restaurant and drinks along the way ... you can email him at toursamanawithterry@hotmail.com for some more ideas on his tour options ... (btw, we found him on the DR CC boards http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=374 ... so you can check him out there too)

St. Kitts ...

no idea ... believe it or not ... it's one of the few islands we've never been to ;)

I totally want to do a tour with Terry in Samana, but there's a minimum # of people needed, I can't round up enough yet. I want to go to Playa Rincon.

I have thought about the Baths, and haven't ruled it out. Hubby might have to made a decision!

Check out the tour store in St Kitts. We might go to Cockleshell Beach with them.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes ... you're absolutely right. And Antigua shorex is also on the high end. Matter a fact, I'm looking for something *cost effective* in Antigua right now ... do you have any suggestions?

We are taking the local bus to one of the beaches. Haven't decided which beach. We are looking for R&R on our Dawn cruise, with cost effective visits on the islands! In Aruba, we are also taking the local bus to Palm & Eagle beach. I have been thinking of getting a day pass at the Radisson for $16.00pp.

Hope this helps you out some.

We are taking the local bus to one of the beaches. Haven't decided which beach. We are looking for R&R on our Dawn cruise, with cost effective visits on the islands! In Aruba, we are also taking the local bus to Palm & Eagle beach. I have been thinking of getting a day pass at the Radisson for $16.00pp.

Hope this helps you out some.

Hi Debbie ...

I'm not really a beach person ... I sorta need some type of activity to keep my interest :p ... but my family would probably love it ;)

I started to look at the kayaking again in Antigua ... but we're already spending lots of $$$ in some of the other ports doing tours ... and there are quite a few ports on this 14-day repo, as you know ... since we'll see you on it :)

Thanks!

Chia

How difficult would it be to get to Malibu Beach on our own? Is this an OK place to spend the day? We would like to see the Rum Factory and spend the day at the beach. Comments? TIA!

We were there last year and loved it! We had booked a shore ex through the cruise line but declined the bus ride home and stayed the rest of the day there, we enjoyed it so much. Next month we are returning and just taking a cab to and from. I believe the three of us only spent $10 for the cab back. And I think it's roughly $15 pp to enter. Gives you a tour with 3-4 rum samples, a drink at the bar, and then a chaise (and they have umbrellas as well. The beach is gorgeous! They have nice bathrooms and showers as well. Just bring strong sunscreen and a hat. The sun was very strong :) Enjoy!!!

We were there last year and loved it! We had booked a shore ex through the cruise line but declined the bus ride home and stayed the rest of the day there, we enjoyed it so much. Next month we are returning and just taking a cab to and from. I believe the three of us only spent $10 for the cab back. And I think it's roughly $15 pp to enter. Gives you a tour with 3-4 rum samples, a drink at the bar, and then a chaise (and they have umbrellas as well. The beach is gorgeous! They have nice bathrooms and showers as well. Just bring strong sunscreen and a hat. The sun was very strong :) Enjoy!!!

That's exactly how I remembered it :p ... absolutely perfect!

Just hope it's open on Sundays ...when we're next in port ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

They can bring you drink and food menus while on your chaise lounge out at the beach. The local specialty is deep fried flying fish so we tried that :) But they also have hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. It will hold ya over until you can get back to the ship. Oh, but now that I think about it, they do have patio seating by the bar where you can probably grab lunch as well.

While we did not go to Malibu proper, it was visible from Brandon's Beach which lies across the highway from the Mount Gay Rum factory. If I had to guess I would say Malibu is perhaps two to two and a half miles from the ship. If not for the container terminal between the ships and your destination you could probably shave off half a mile or more.

The walking can be dodgy at times as the sidewalks seem to come and go randomly particularly near the container pier. Once past the pier the sidewalk seemed to continue along the edge of the highway and Brandon's Beach all the way to Malibu on the headland to the north.

At a reasonable walking pace you might be looking at 45 minutes to an hour to reach Malibu. The deciding factor will be your heat tolerance. When we were there the temperature was in the high 90s making the trek seem longer than it was, particular as there was scant shade to be found along the way.

Archived