Starclippers air or your own fare?

oshkoshwriter

I've been on the Roayal Clipper once and am planning another cruise next spring, but wonder how people like using the charter Starclippers offers? I like getting my own tickets, but returning from a different destination than the departing one can be a problem. Would like input from all you out there!

We've used Star Clippers discounted airfare and have been very happy with it. Usually, this airfare package also includes transfers to the ship making the fare even more reasonable. However unless the transfer is directly from the airport to the ship, Star Clippers usually requires you to stay at one of their preselected hotels. The bad thing about having them choose your hotel is that you pay per person double occupancy. This rate is about double the hotel's rate for the same room if some one just made a reservation. Irksome but it is usually only a problem for those who want to spend some time in the port city before and/or after the cruise. Of course, you also lose the included transfer(s). You may also have to pay a deviation fee ($100 pp) for the privilege of either arriving at your destination early or leaving late ($200 pp if you do both).

To give you an example, Star Clippers handled our airfare roundtrip for French Polynesia last Feb. We added business class at LAX at a greatly reduce cost in addition to our prepaid airfare. Our transfers to the ship were included. However when we returned from our cruise on the Star Flyer, we deviated. This meant no stay in a day room at the hotel picked out by Star Clippers or our transfer to the airport. Instead, we had to pay for our own transfers to the airport as we were flying on to Huahine for a week. When we returned from Huahine, no transfers were involved as we were already at the airport (long, long wait in sweltering heat). Our flight home had already been paid for through Star Clippers.

In October we are using Star Clippers airfare for the relocation cruise for the Star Clipper from Athens to Thailand. I couldn't beat their price (including transfers was $995 plus taxes). However, we paid the deviation fee ($100 a piece) so that we could arrive in Athens a few days early. We also chose a different hotel (recommended by a Greek friend) but once again we have to pay for our transfer from this hotel to the dock. This is still altogether cheaper for us than paying Star Clippers for using their hotel (by an additional $450). On the way home, we're letting Star Clippers handle the whole thing.

Hi Roger, thanks so much for your detailed answer; it was very helpful. I didn't know you could upgrade to Business Class with their fares. Would you mind telling me how much it cost to do that? Have you done the Grand Med cruise? Thinking of taking it in April. Would love some input.

happy sailing, Oshkoshwriter (Peggy):)

The cost of upgrading to business class on Air Tahiti Nui (LA to Tahiti) was $700/ea. We had always traveled coach before so this was a real treat. The problem is that this could lead to spending a lot more on airfare!!!! My wife says that I should never let the nose of this particular camel under the tent. I'm in trouble now. We took coach on the return flight. As the plane was less than half full, we had lots of room to stretch out. If this was only true on other flights..........

We've never taken the grand Med cruise. We did take the Royal Clipper from Rome to Barbados in 2003. There were lots of stops in the western Med (Spain, etc. as well as the Canary Islands and Morroco). This was a wonderful cruise (23 nites) plus we went to Rome early. We stayed in the Lancelot Hotel in Rome (nice European hotel). Our room had a large terrace overlooking the Colosseum -- very romantic. Of course by going early and choosing our own hotel, we paid a deviation fee and had to pay for our own transfers to Rome's seaport (Civitavecchia). This itinerary (or similar) is still available as a prelude to the Royal Clipper's transatlantic crossing. Have fun on your cruise!

Thanks again, Roger. You have such great information. I feel better about trying the S.C. fares now. Did you go to Cadiz, Malaga, or any of the other coastal Spain places that are on the med trip. Would love to know about them and what there is to do there. ALSO...how can you find out the shore excursions on the website. I used to be able to find it, but can't now. Thanks again, Oshkoshwriter, Peggy:)

Archived