no more captains cocktail party on fantasy?!?!?!?!

Rowan555

I am sitting at the terminal waiting to baord. We were told that the captains cocktail party has been replaced by "happy hour" as on the Valor, with a free drink reception the last night. I thought they were holding off on making this fleetwide? Oh well. Should have brought more rum, lol. Any news of this from other ships? Maybe I missed the threads but I haven't noticed anything posted about other ships doing it.

We just got off the Fantasy this past Saturday and we had the captain's party with free drinks. Also, on the first night, Risa, the cruise director announced that yes we are still having the free drinks for the captain's party. Neddless to say, she got a hugh ovation.

Just returned from the Fantasy last Saturday. They did have a Captain's Party with free drinks but no hor'doerves. They also had a Past Guest Party with free drinks plus hor'doerves. I really appreciated the complimentary cocktails since my alcohol was confiscated at the port of NOLA.

Just returned from the Fantasy last Saturday. They did have a Captain's Party with free drinks but no hor'doerves. They also had a Past Guest Party with free drinks plus hor'doerves. I really appreciated the complimentary cocktails since my alcohol was confiscated at the port of NOLA.

You were'nt the one taking 10 bottles of booze and 3 cases of beer are you?;)

Appreciate the heads up! Guess we will have extra time to get ready for the first formal night dinner since attending the welcome aboard party no longer has any attraction for us (been there, done that many times, but the complimentary cocktails were nice).

Apparently it's going fleetwide as of Sept 12. I had no idea. Oh well, I'm having an awesome time no matter what.

Back when it was first announced and made it to John's Blog I had a feeling it wasn't going to take long before it went fleetwide. It was supposedly just a trial run on the Valor but it must have saved them more money than they had hoped. Oh well I've often said there's so much to do on a cruise I feel like I am always "supposed to be somewhere" but this will make for one less place I have to rush off to :)

I think they will find after awhile that the welcome aboard party will not be a party when many cruisers stop coming.

Very few people dancing so we just sit around and talk and than get to clap when capt and officers are introduced.

Actually we are platinum cruisers and getting board with the party in any case.

I think we will get a couple of glasses of wine from our cabin and enjoy it before dinner instead.

In fact if they do this why even get dressed in jacket and tie? Will wear dress shirts and nice pair of slacks instead (as long as I convince my wife about thisicon7.gif).

Free booze the last night of the cruise is a crumby way of Carnival saving a few bucks.

Will still have a good time just one less activity to deal with.

Captain’s Celebration

“Meet and Greet” / “Fun Farewell”

After a successful 3 month trial where we tested a new version of the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Reception, we are now rolling this out fleet wide to all our ships starting with cruises 9/12/09 and onward. Note: The Carnival Ecstasy will start after dry dock in October and the Carnival Spirit will start after the 2nd Hawaii cruise in October.

The two new events, now referred to as the “Captain’s Celebrations” will ensure that guests now have multiple opportunities to interact with the Captain and his Senior Officers.

The 1st event, “Meet and Greet”, will take place on the 1st cruise elegant night on the cruise. The “Meet and Greet” will be held along the Promenade Deck from 5:00pm-8:00pm. The new format will offer a more inclusive cocktail party like atmosphere, not only in one lounge but along the entire Promenade and lounges along the Promenade with live music, dancing and cocktails available at $1.00 off.

The Captain will introduce the Senior Officers right before the Production Shows at 8:20pm and 10:20pm.

The 2nd event, “Fun Farewell”, will take place at the end of the cruise as an appreciation to all of our guests. Complimentary cocktails will be offered from 5:00pm-6:00pm.

As for when guests should question our changing the free drinks from the welcome function to the farewell function, we should be communicating to them that we are basically giving our guests two functions. We are now creating a more inclusive, cocktail party-like atmosphere not only in one lounge with possible long lines but along the entire promenade and all its lounges with live music and dancing as well as reduced prices for everyone to enjoy. Then at the end of the cruise, as a "Thank You" appreciation, having a farewell cocktail party with free drinks.

Captain’s Celebration

“Meet and Greet” / “Fun Farewell”

After a successful 3 month trial where we tested a new version of the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Reception, we are now rolling this out fleet wide to all our ships starting with cruises 9/12/09 and onward. Note: The Carnival Ecstasy will start after dry dock in October and the Carnival Spirit will start after the 2nd Hawaii cruise in October.

The two new events, now referred to as the “Captain’s Celebrations” will ensure that guests now have multiple opportunities to interact with the Captain and his Senior Officers.

The 1st event, “Meet and Greet”, will take place on the 1st cruise elegant night on the cruise. The “Meet and Greet” will be held along the Promenade Deck from 5:00pm-8:00pm. The new format will offer a more inclusive cocktail party like atmosphere, not only in one lounge but along the entire Promenade and lounges along the Promenade with live music, dancing and cocktails available at $1.00 off.

The Captain will introduce the Senior Officers right before the Production Shows at 8:20pm and 10:20pm.

The 2nd event, “Fun Farewell”, will take place at the end of the cruise as an appreciation to all of our guests. Complimentary cocktails will be offered from 5:00pm-6:00pm.

As for when guests should question our changing the free drinks from the welcome function to the farewell function, we should be communicating to them that we are basically giving our guests two functions. We are now creating a more inclusive, cocktail party-like atmosphere not only in one lounge with possible long lines but along the entire promenade and all its lounges with live music and dancing as well as reduced prices for everyone to enjoy. Then at the end of the cruise, as a "Thank You" appreciation, having a farewell cocktail party with free drinks.

On the first fuction, I think that half off or $2.00 would be better than $1.00 off. I rather have it free, if not a better discount rate.

Well from this you are still getting a chance for free cocktails,but with everyone there from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. you are cutting out the early diners from this and making it very crowded. It's not solving the long line problem with only one hour. While the drinks are the basics that they serve all of the time (whiskey sours,etc) and free drink and hearing about what's new with Carnival was a reason to go. Oh well, I will wait on cruisers sailing after September 12, 2009 to report back on this.

On the first fuction, I think that half off or $2.00 would be better than $1.00 off. I rather have it free, if not a better discount rate.

Well from this you are still getting a chance for free cocktails,but with everyone there from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. you are cutting out the early diners from this and making it very crowded. It's not solving the long line problem with only one hour. While the drinks are the basics that they serve all of the time (whiskey sours,etc) and free drink and hearing about what's new with Carnival was a reason to go. Oh well, I will wait on cruisers sailing after September 12, 2009 to report back on this.

I agree that now you will have the entire ship trying to crowd into the one lounge for the one hour. Look how crowded the past guest parties are. Also are they going to increase the number of servers or are they hoping that less drinks will be served.

They are not doing away with the past guest party so you still will have that event to attend.

Dave

I think they are gambling on not too many showing up that final night - most people at that point are busy packing, getting ready for their last dinner onboard, and many have a long day of travel ahead the next day and won't want to drink as much.

I am one of those people who actually enjoys the Captain's party that first night - seeing the dancing, the band playing, the introduction of the officers, and a drink or two doesn't hurt. I still think they've got it wrong - keep the Captain's party as is with it's festive atmosphere and do the "happy hour" discount the last night as a thank you.

I think they are gambling on not too many showing up that final night - most people at that point are busy packing, getting ready for their last dinner onboard, and many have a long day of travel ahead the next day and won't want to drink as much.

I am one of those people who actually enjoys the Captain's party that first night - seeing the dancing, the band playing, the introduction of the officers, and a drink or two doesn't hurt. I still think they've got it wrong - keep the Captain's party as is with it's festive atmosphere and do the "happy hour" discount the last night as a thank you.

I agree on all counts! Great post (now write this to John pretty please lol)

We sailed in June on the Valor when they were "trying" it out. Lots of unhappy cruisers. They had very few people show up on the last night because everyone was busy packing and tired. I had a feeling then they were going to make the switch since it must have saved a ton of money. I am still upset with not getting my pin.:( Oh well at least I have the past guest party to drown my sorrows in.:D

Free drinks on the last night should cut down on those in a hurry to get off the ship the next day!

I kind of like the no free drinks at the Captain's party - as long as the Captain and officers show up and stay for a while. I'll get a chance to meet and talk with more of them.

There will no longer be a captain's party as it's being replaced with a "Meet and Greet". This was posted above

" The 1st event, “Meet and Greet”, will take place on the 1st cruise elegant night on the cruise. The “Meet and Greet” will be held along the Promenade Deck from 5:00pm-8:00pm. The new format will offer a more inclusive cocktail party like atmosphere, not only in one lounge but along the entire Promenade and lounges along the Promenade with live music, dancing and cocktails available at $1.00 off.

The Captain will introduce the Senior Officers right before the Production Shows at 8:20pm and 10:20pm."

Somehow I just don't see the captain and his senior officers hanging out on the Promenade for 3 hours then making another appearance at both production shows. I know on the Splendor the captain and the officers were not present at the captain's party and were introduced before the shows like they are going to be doing from now on.

My sincere condolences!:p There's nothing like some free booze on a cruise! ;)

Archived