shoes and attire for St. John eco-hike

JRoeT

Hello! Going on the St. John Eco Hike to honey moon bay in March.

Should I wear my Ecco sandals (open-toed, and VERY comfortable for a hike), or should I wear my sneakers (hot but more toe protection)?

Also, are shorts okay? I can't imagine wearing long pants, but more conservative hikers might think it unwise to ever have bare legs or open toes on trails.

Any tips / experiences about this excursion would be soooooo welcome and appreciated!

JRoeT

Hello JRoeT,

Shorts are good for the trail to Honeymoon, long pants would be way hot. (A side note if someone was hiking the Reef Bay trail after rainy weather I'd recommend very light long pants as it can be buggy during those times on that trail.) I stick with sneakers/socks.

--Islander

We're planning on hiking St. John ourselves later this month. I was leaning towards a hike to Honeymoon Beach, a swim, and then a hike up to Mt. Margaret, but we have a couple of hiking guides on order, so I'll wait until I read them.

Thanks for the advice about clothing. I know you recommended sneakers and socks over open-toed sandals... but how about these sandals?

shoes_il53332.jpg

Yeah, I'm not much of a sandal-person, but these protect the toes, so the only thing a hiker would need to worry about is something crawling in.

fig2.jpg

I'd expect that I'll be okay without the socks... it's pretty warm eh? and I've already walked a few miles in these snandals without any problems.

Last February, we wore shorts and sneakers. It had stormed the night before and Honeymoon Beach was only about 15 feet wide! We had a great time on the hike (wonderful guide) and at the narrow beach. The walk through part of Caneel Bay was also nice.

Nisky

Archived