Dec. /Jan Cruising the Pacific to Hawaii

der93711

Hi Everyone,

We are in need of some information. We are looking at booking the Summit next Dec or January (14days) that sails from Los Angeles to Hawaii and back. My concern is the weather in the Pacific at that time of the year. Can any one tell us if the seas are rough during that time of the year and is the weather warm enough for the pool during the crossing. We like to snorkel and have never been to Hawaii. Are there any excursions that include some snorkling?

Actually any information about the cruise would be appreciated. We are very familiar with the Summit (sailed on her twice before) and think she is the greatest ship.

Thanks in advance,

Der

We just did the Infinity Hawaii Dec 5-20 San Diego roundtrip. It was the roughest cruise I have ever experienced. That was only because there were so many storms further out in the Pacific- we didn't have stormy seas- just very rough seas- lots of rolling and pitching on the cruise over. Talking to some of the crew who had done the Pacific many times it was the roughest ride any of them had ever experienced- anywhere, not just the Pacific.

There were many sick people onboard and many sick crew the first 2-3 days.We had an aft cabin and really felt it. Fortunately for us we LOVE to ride the waves and it was wonderful. Smooth seas are no fun! But the Pacific can be rough or smooth as glass any time of year....

As far as snorkeling...it's easy to rent a car in all ports and scout out beaches on your own. But if you want to do ships excursions you can snorkel from every port.

We also did Summit Hawaii before- she is the greatest ship, but now we feel that Infinity is her equal.

Thanks Petoonya,

I got sea sick just reading your report. I guess I just want to make the Hawaii cruise happen and reality that the seas could be rough is making my decision rough. Thanks so much for your imput.

Der

Petoonya was correct. The seas were a little rough on the Infinity 12-5 sailing, but please don't be discouraged. We had absolutely no sea sick problems. We also had an aft cabin and could feel the swells - especially at night. You could not sleep on your side because the rolling of the ship knocked you over. It was very nice though - like the rocking of a cradle. One night when it was exceptionally rough, my flower vase fell over twice, even though I had propped it up with an Evian bottle and the ice bucket.

If you are sensitive to sea sickness though I would recommend that you reconsider. But, please understand that we had a great time and it didn't bother us at all.

Andrea says it perfectly- it was like the rocking of a cradle. Very soothing- but perhaps not so for those prone to sea sickness.

If it does not bother you too terribly much it is WORTH IT! So many on this cruise booked it for next year despite the rocking and rolling. Best wishes.

I have on intention to change your mind one way or the other but I will just share our Pacific sailings with you.

Wife and I are not the lucky ones that enjoy the rough waters or the ship's movements.......we do get sea sick easily, even using all kinds of remedies.

Dec of 2003, we went to Hawaii from Ensenada........first night and couple more was a little rough , windy and cool......wife got sea sick, I did not, but was not feeling well enough to enjoy the cruise. By the third day everything was smooth, warm and beautiful.....and Hawaii was great.

Two other times in the Mexican riviera waters by the Baja California peninsula (once in December, and once in March) water was a little rough and it was windy and cool - but we were not sick.

So, in our sailings in the Pacific there was a little more movement than we desire.

But weather does change and you might just fine.

Wes

Archived