Belize cave tubing

sherri.l

Ditto X-Stream. We had only 10 in our group which made it easier for our guide, Richard to stay with us, and we could all stay together. We saw others that had 20-30 in there their group and they were scattered all about. One guide came to our group asking if we'd seen someone who'd gotten lost from his group. Richard does a great job.

We have a couple of people in our group who are concerned about the walk to enter the river. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it took to reach the water, and what tour operator you were with? We'd love to bring ewveryone along if we can find a reasonable walk for everyone! Thanks.

We have a couple of people in our group who are concerned about the walk to enter the river. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it took to reach the water, and what tour operator you were with? We'd love to bring ewveryone along if we can find a reasonable walk for everyone! Thanks.

This is the same concern I have with taking my Mother. She is also a little afriad of the water in a tube. So I guess this tour is out for me!

We just returned from our "Elation" cruise and the x-treme outing was the highlight. Our tender made Belize later than scheduled, but the company still met us at the dock. Our party consisted of six people. It was a great experience, although we didn't have time for lunch.

We did the ship's tour so I wouldn't be worried about the bus breaking down or something like that. I have pretty bad asthma and the hike was just a little tough for me. It is about a 30 to 40 minute hike, no hills (Yeah!) but the path is big stones so don't wear water shoes! I live in Mississippi and the humid air (November, Rainy season in Belize) was really not much different than good ole humid Mississippi.

The only tough part for me was walking up this giant hill after we first got off the tour bus. I just stopped and rested, caught my breath and took my time.

DH and I wore our older sneakers for the cave excursion and then left them at the changing station after the excursion..and slipped into flip flops..Water shoes do not have thick enough soles to protect your feet from the stones on the trail to the water. Our sneakers were in good condition and I went and told an employee we were leaving them and anyone who wanted them could have them. We didn't have to deal with packing wet sneakers and I am sure someone working at the cave was happy to get 2 pairs of good condition Nike shoes. We did the same thing with the tee shirts we wore.

I enjoyed the cave tubing.

My DH has asthma, and the walk was too hard for him. He had to stop a lt to catch his breath. This was with Reggie, and it was like a 15 minute walk through the rainforest. The problem was the path was loose pebbles, and hard for him to walk on, plus carrying the tube, and he has a bad back, but I was fine, and everyone that was with us was fine.

if you are concerned about the walk, I wouldnt book this excursion. Its more like a bit of a hike.

up and down hill, and funny stairs that are built out there in that jungle. In Sept. the river was low. Our bottoms drug the bottom of the river alot. I would check and make sure the river water level is high, if I did it again.

the excursion is physical. Not just a float ride in a tube. :D You are wet for a long time also. By the end of the trip I was starting to get cold. It was an adventure! I enjoyed Reggies, and would do it again.

We used Wet & Wild for our cave tubing excursion in Belize. As the others have stated it was an adventure. The walk through the jungle was a hike and once you get to the river you can either jump in from the cliff or you can lower yourself down on a rope. I chose the rope;) We went through 3 caves and by the end of the excursion, I was really ready to get out of that float. A couple of times I was uneasy because my DH and I became seperated in the dark caves :eek: All things considered, it was an experience I'm glad I did. Would I do it again: probably not.

Did Carnival give you a hard time about getting on a tender since you weren't booked with them? I booked X-treme online yesterday for 6 of us leaving on the Elation this Sunday 1/9. My daughter & daughter-in-law did this trip w/X-teme in April & loved it. She said they were super guides. My girls were sneaky & got on the first tender off the Elation, with one of their groups, but they still had to wait at the pier for the others, so I guess it's OK to be the last tender. I don't think they'll leave you, will they????

Katcruiser you asked if the ship will leave you at a port if you aren't booked with a CCL tour. Yes, yes and yes! We sailed on the Glory during the Christmas holiday and two ladies got left in Progresso, Mexico. We were about 40 minutes away from the shore and a boat brought the ladies out to the ship. They were very lucky that we were only 40 minutes out. No telling how much that cost them.

I have posted this advice before and I'll say it again. There are certain ports that you can do on your own without risk of missing the boat. Belize isn't one of them. YOu have to go so far from the port to do anything, that to my family and I (and apparently many others), it wasn't worth the risk. Besides that, you are on unpaved roads in the middle of nowhere, if you did break down, you may not get found for hours. I have actually read at least two different posts by people where this did happen.

My son and DH took the CCL tour and it was great. The group is limited so there aren't hundreds of people herding through like cattle. They loved it and would highly recommend it. By the way, we talked to folks on the ship who did book with outside vendors. They did the same number of caves as the ship's tour and they stressed all day about getting back on time. Never again most of them said.:cool:

We did the ship excursion for about 90.00 something USD per person. Our ship arrived late in port but the ship did not leave without us. I was extremely nervous about this excursion but was out-voted by my family. First you meet in the theater. Next you board your tender for a 10-15 minute tender ride. Next you have time to visit the restrooms then board the bus. We left with our bathing suits on and sneakers for the hike. After a 40 minute bus ride you arrive at Cheers where you can use the bathroom. I purchased an extra T Shirt to wear over my swimsuit. (You can also change into dry clothes after the tube ride.) Next they take you to the location where you will pick up your tube and light. At this point some of us rented wate shoes because if you walked up the trail in your sneakers they would go down the waterway with you. Rental was $3.00 a pair. My daughter purchased shoes on the shop for $20.00 a pair - You definitely need water shoes or tight fitting sandals that can get wet. Where you enter the pathway, ( 40 minute walk) is where you exit after the tube ride. The pathway can be slippery if it is wet. Your shoes are waiting there for you. I was extremely afraid of bats and spiders. I did not see any bats but was informed by the group that went through first that the ceilings were covered with bats. My tour guide said "there goes a bat and I freaked out and started to swim away from my group". I got scolded for leaving the group. Pay close attention to what side you should be going through on the river. I thought someone grabbed my butt but no=one was near me. It was very shallow water - then I thought I saw an alligator but it was a large rock in the water. Pay attention to your guide and lift up your but when he tells you. Overall I did enjoy it but don't think I would do it again. I am 51 years old, female, the walk could be a little bit of a strain carrying the tube. The water wasn't too cold - you do work up a little bit of a sweat. Next time I think I will have my family do the Canopy Tour - If anyone has any other questions - just give me a hollar.

Just so you are aware - if you leave Belize City (such as going cave tubing) you will be denied the ability to donate blood for a year. The City is ok - but the outside areas are deemed a malaria risk.

We found out the hard way after going last June.

Archived