Sheltered Balcony Question

marklynpa

We had a sheltered balcony on QM2 this year, the front of the balcony is solid with what can best be described as a picture window without glass. The only disadvantage is that when sitting down you cannot look out. For us it was fine and probably a bit bigger than some of the glass fronted balconies we have had before. I've tried to attach a picture but not sure if it has worked as I've not done it before. We would certainly have one again!

DSC00624.jpg.e47dcd18564db6b85fb35101d3d7e5b2.jpg

Hi Ray66,

This is just a guess. Those white bars possibly are to protect the sheltered balconies from the tenders being lowered past them.

I have been on the QM2 for six voyages and always in a sheltered balcony and never noticed the white bars. I guess they have always been there.

I am sure someone else on this thread will know the answer to your question?

Terrence

Hi Ray66,

This is just a guess. Those white bars possibly are to protect the sheltered balconies from the tenders being lowered past them.

I have been on the QM2 for six voyages and always in a sheltered balcony and never noticed the white bars. I guess they have always been there.

I am sure someone else on this thread will know the answer to your question?

Terrence

Yes that sounds plausible, thanks.

They do seem to be in line with the cradles and only appear in that part of the ship.

I just got 'upgraded' to one of those balcony cabins. I did have an oceanview (porthole') before. So I'm happy, you can still go out and get fresh air and look at the waves.

It is the larger cabin of those type of balconies. What the heck - glad to see the pictures.

Ask the steward for extra pillows - and put them on the chaises ! But bring in when finished - the humid air, etc. is not good for them.

Thank you,

MaryAnn

I have never seen those before!!! they must be new. are there pads for the loungers on the balcony...

Lounge chairs with cushions were removed several years ago from the sheltered balconies. When we were dock side in Quebec City back in 2006, on the QM, we noticed piles of white lounge chairs being taken off the ship. Our sheltered balcony on Deck Five had the two new chairs without cushions and were still there in 2007 and 2008.

The reason for getting rid of the cushions and the lounge chairs may have something to with a fire on another cruise ship back in 2006 owned by Carnival Corporation.

I am sure there is someone else on these Boards who will have more accurate information.

Terrence

p.s. I notice in Margo's picture that her window has a strip down the middle whereas most of them don't. Does anyone know what they're for?

Though this is not "official" from the cruise line or anyone associated with Cuanrd or the QM2, having experience with the marine industry, these "posts" on other ships are in conjunction with the emergency inflatable life rafts that would be launched directly above from deck 7. If you look at photos of the QM2, you will notice the the aft area behind the primary life boats, there are a few balconies on decks 4-6, these posts are in place. Above these you will see the davits used to launch the inflatable rafts.

Typically these are in place to ensure that when launching the smaller rafts, the balconies do not interfere with with lowerer of the raft. Though this is only speculation in this instance, I do know if this being true in other ship designs and conjecture is being made in this instance.

Regards,

-

We actually found our sheltered balcony to be of not much use, and have switched to an oceanview for our next crossing. The balcony area was rather dark, even on a sunny day, and there didn't seem to be much point in sitting outside if all you could see is the sky.

IMG_0876.jpg.929ce5c0ab2baa957fac1b54d7b12771.jpg

Its more private and even DH liked it after he got used to it. so much so we booked another sheltered balcony for next year. As for it being shady yes, but there is a light you can put on if you really want it brighter. I found it soothing to sit and talk with our pre-dinner drinks or night caps.

• 2 weeks later...

The in-hull balconies let the sound and smell of the ocean in without any wind or spray. The glass balconies let you look out at the ocean while sitting on your couch. The in-hull are more private. The glass more open. The in-hull are great for heavy weather or for corssings. We like the glass best for trips to the islands.

Both are wonderful! Enjoy!

We're on that trip as well... So, if you'll slip us your stateroom number (go to my website and go to "Contact the Author" (I think it is) and e-mail it to me) we'll be sure to pass along to you a couple more bottles of champagne.

Also, if you have children or grandchildren, let me know and we'll have them bring along a couple of books when they drop off the champagne.

Congratulations again! 25 years! Wonderful!

Thank you I will look into it. They are giving us flowers and champagne upon arrival in our room. And we plan on eating at Todd English the nite of our anniversary.:)

We're on that trip as well... So, if you'll slip us your stateroom number (go to my website and go to "Contact the Author" (I think it is) and e-mail it to me) we'll be sure to pass along to you a couple more bottles of champagne.

Also, if you have children or grandchildren, let me know and we'll have them bring along a couple of books when they drop off the champagne.

Congratulations again! 25 years! Wonderful!

Thanks so much for the offer. We are not big champagne drinkers but will enjoy a glass to celebrate our anniversary....Also no children or grandchildren joining us just a romantic getaway for two....

If you won't drink it, what are WE supposed to do with it?

:-)

We don't drink champagne. PLEASE let us give it to you.

Thanks so much for the offer. We are not big champagne drinkers but will enjoy a glass to celebrate our anniversary....Also no children or grandchildren joining us just a romantic getaway for two....

Archived