Question About Toursaver Coupons

LoveCruisin72

Can you use the Toursaver Coupons if you book through the cruise line or do we need to book independently to use them? We need to book some excursions for the 2010 Alaska season and want to be sure that the Toursaver would actually save us some money. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Deb

You also are best to wait, before you get into any tour booking or counting on discount coupons to be the same as this year. There can be changes in offers from year to year. The new books come out later fall, usually. Be certain to verify all restrictions on the coupon of interest to you.

If you go to use it for the hotel offers, do you have to call or can you do it on-line? Do you have to enter a promo code at the time you reserve? I was thinking of booking a hotel that has been offered in the past in the book, but obviously don't have the '10 book yet. Didn't know if I should book it now and cancel if the coupon isn't offered again, or wait til the coupons come out.

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

Remember you have to take the whole book with you and present it and not just the coupons. They have been threatening for years to issue a bar coded ID card so that the coupons cannot be sold or traded away.

The truth is that many of the participating merchants felt they didn't get their money's worth out of being in the coupon books in 2009. Expect tighter restrictions for 2010.

We just used a couple of coupons on our recent cruise. We booked on line direct with the tour company. I corresponded with each company by email and they were very helpful in walking me through the procedures. And, definitely keep the book intact and present the entire book at each booked tour.

p.s. We did the Bering Sea Crab tour that was great. They were wonderful to deal with by email. Also, Kenai Fjords tour is very helpful by email. Oh, and, not to forget Misty Fjords. They were also very gracious in corresponding by email.

Happy Sails!!

Be cautious when using coupons for hotels. Some operators will inflate the price to what they consider the "Tour Saver" rate although their online rate will be much less. For example, the Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites was $99/nt online but with the Tour Saver book it was $249/nt with the 2nd nt free. Their online rate was obviously a better deal, but if you did not call to inform them you were using the coupon, you would not know the rate for using their coupon was much higher. We used a total of 6 coupons and only had potential problems with this one. We did call the tour operators in advance to confirm they had space available for our dates, and to ensure they would accept the Tour Saver coupon (they have a maximum number they accept daily). It turned out to be a great value, but we would have saved much more had we cruised prior to Aug. 31st.

I had contacted Pike's in Fairbanks, the woman who replied wasn't sure if they were offering the coupon again next year; she told me I could book on-line and just bring the coupon with. Didn't sound right for some reason. I'll just wait another month or two til the '10 coupon book comes out.

dogdoc2002

I have never found any worthwhile lodging deals with toursaver and always booked small inns, B&B's etc. The rates are just what is described above, the full rack rates. So compared what may be available booked direct. I also have seen people get caught up in the 2 for 1 priority. With some people, a 2 night stay may be a completely bad idea with putting them in an area, that the touring interest isn't there. They would be far better off, with only one night and better using their time elsewhere. Look at the whole picture in your plans.

The value is with the tours. I am a long time user of toursaver, with first usage over 10 years ago. I have seen many vendors come and go. And by far interior Alaska touring has had the significant amount of savings compared to the Inside Passage.

Archived