Please compare the Star to the Emerald for me

amistad

I am an experienced cruiser, but only one with Princess on the Crown. The Itens. are the same, just the price is lower on the Star so I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the two? Is the Star much smaller or not in very good shape? I don't mind a smaller ship then the Crown, it was crowded for the shows and there were alway's lines for the tender tickets and the buffet so smaller is not really a problem if that means less crowded. I trust the opinion of the cruisers on this board so please if you have any positives or negatives on either I would really appreciate the help. The other thing I need help with is what is the best deck on either to book a balcony, I know some are partially shaded on some decks on some ships so that info would also be appreciated. TIA

I am an experienced cruiser, but only one with Princess on the Crown. The Itens. are the same, just the price is lower on the Star so I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the two? Is the Star much smaller or not in very good shape? I don't mind a smaller ship then the Crown, it was crowded for the shows and there were alway's lines for the tender tickets and the buffet so smaller is not really a problem if that means less crowded. I trust the opinion of the cruisers on this board so please if you have any positives or negatives on either I would really appreciate the help. The other thing I need help with is what is the best deck on either to book a balcony, I know some are partially shaded on some decks on some ships so that info would also be appreciated. TIA

Crown and Emerald are identical. The Star was built in 2002 right after the Grand so it does not have all the built in goodies that the 3 new ships Crown/Emerald/Ruby have. I would pick the Emerald.

After 42 Pricess cruises you should definately know, I take it the Star does not have the International Cafe and the Wines and Vines? Does it hold the same amount of passengers? I also wonder what deck would you pick for the best balcony? Thanks for your quick reply.

After 42 Pricess cruises you should definately know, I take it the Star does not have the International Cafe and the Wines and Vines? Does it hold the same amount of passengers? I also wonder what deck would you pick for the best balcony? Thanks for your quick reply.

The Star did get the IC I believe last year in drydock which turned out to be a labor nightmare. It was in San Fran and the workers coming in from outside the country ran into a bunch of immigration problems so most of the work was not completed.

The Golden drydock last May got it right and finished all the work and updates planned and it turned out beautiful.

These additions were not planned or put in when the ship was built so they just don't fit well.

Are you looking for a regular balcony or mini?

I only noticed the crowds when we tried to go to the shows, never any seats available if you did not go very early. I am not a big fan of the crowds on the RCI ship the Mariner of the Seas either. I'm more of a medium size ship fan, but the iten. is my main thing along with price.

There is only 300.00 difference between the mini and the balcony for the three of us so probably the mini. I haven't really seen any great deals for the spring I am looking at April or May. Thanks again

Cat AD mini's on Emerald deck are my choice, the balconies are fully covered and private.

There are only 12, 6 on each side and they sell out fast.

All the rest of the mini's are on Dolphin deck and the balconies are fully open to above.

What ever you pick if you like it then mark your booking "no upgrade".

Archived