Pre Cruise Hotel - as close to $400 as possible

dooleymoe

So we're going on the 12/6 RCCL AOS cruise out of San Juan, we'll be flying in on the 5th and need a hotel. Thanks to my former company and business travel I have a free night through hotel dot com's loyalty program.

The deal is I can go to any hotel on their site and choose any room, up to $400. Obviously I'd like to make the most of it and get as close to the max as possible. Suggestions? It is 12/5, a saturday night.

So we're going on the 12/6 RCCL AOS cruise out of San Juan, we'll be flying in on the 5th and need a hotel. Thanks to my former company and business travel I have a free night through hotel dot com's loyalty program.

The deal is I can go to any hotel on their site and choose any room, up to $400. Obviously I'd like to make the most of it and get as close to the max as possible. Suggestions? It is 12/5, a saturday night.

Most people who stay at El Covento rave about this small hotel. Nice choice if you have the money for it. :)

Please join the roll call for the Dec. 6th sailing... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=821380&page=8

Gerry

thanks for the replies, unfortunately the El Covento is not offered on hotels.com

we definitely want to stay on the beach, the marriott is one option, I've seen a couple others including the intercontinental and the ritz (the only 5 star offered according to hotels.com)

Of course the ritz oceanfront balcony is $550, the marriots best room acailable is only $220 (only, lol)

I'll head over to the roll call today

We have 2 favorites.....the Sheraton old san juan and the caribe hilton.They should be in about your range of $400. We are stqying at the Caribe in Jan. It has lovely grounds and beach area. Very near the port. Old San Juan is fun and the Sheraton is rright there. Can't go wrong with either. Good luck.

thanks for the replies, unfortunately the El Covento is not offered on hotels.com

we definitely want to stay on the beach, the marriott is one option, I've seen a couple others including the intercontinental and the ritz (the only 5 star offered according to hotels.com)

Of course the ritz oceanfront balcony is $550, the marriots best room acailable is only $220 (only, lol)

I'll head over to the roll call today

I've read great reports from others on the Intercontinental, too. The grounds at the Marriott Stellaris are beautiful with the pool and beach. I know when I was looking for my hotel for November, I had to make sure a 2 night minimum wasn't required. I also asked about the resort taxes. In 2007 the Sheraton charged 22% on top of room rate. I know your's is a freebie but wasn't sure if all taxes/fees are included too...as long as you don't exceeed the $400.

Hilton Caribe gets my vote. check out their site. They have a nice private beach and a great resort area. Food and Drinks are a bit expensive but you can get a a great room for $400

I second the Caribe Hilton - great hotel wonderful pool area and the only private beach in San Juan!

Thanks for all the recommendations, upon further research it looks like we'll have to pay the fees/taxes, so between $50-80 for the night. I went for the caribe hilton however they want an extra $45 for the second person on top of the $70 taxes/fees so i'm ruling that one out.

Has anyone stayed at la concha, they have a jr suite for $309 and the fees are reasonable, but it does not say oceanview. Other than that is the marriott since I like the location (both appear to be on the same street) but the fees there are the highest (almost $90) and the room is only going for a little over $200

Out of everything mentioned the only places we haven't stayed are the La Concha and The Ritz, so cannot comment on either. El Convento is numero uno but out. Of the rest, the Intercontinental and the Marriott are very close to even at number 1.

We like the Intercontinental a little better because the on site food and drink are much more reasonable. There is a great little bar right on the beach that has a nice variety. The Marriott's pool is a bit little nicer, could be considered world class really. They both have great staff and are right on a very nice, wide beach.

The Caribe has a charm all it's own. It is very easy to sit and picture what it must have been like there in the 60s. It is still very nice, just a little past it's prime. The Sheraton in nice, but basically a utilitarian city hotel with a small pool on the roof. If you want to be in town and close to lots of restaurants it would work well, just don't expect a resort.

That's our 2 cents...ask away if you have any questions and enjoy that free stay! ;)

Archived