Where to eat Dinner in Cozumel?

5-to-cruise

Another vote for Casa Denis here. Wife & I ate their the first time we went to Coz & have returned there several times since. The food is excellent & the prices reasonable.

We're stopping at Coz in November on a cruise & plan to eat there again.

Can you see the map now? I was messing with it for a while and you might have caught me while I was trying to get it to work. Its showing up when I look at the message board now.

I think I had the image too large and had to shrink it down. I acutally just ended up using the option on photobucket. I was trying to use that mountain icon and I was having issues.

Let me know if you still can't see it and I'll try your way.

Thanks!

rv

Can you see the map now? I was messing with it for a while and you might have caught me while I was trying to get it to work. Its showing up when I look at the message board now.

I think I had the image too large and had to shrink it down. I acutally just ended up using the option on photobucket. I was trying to use that mountain icon and I was having issues.

Let me know if you still can't see it and I'll try your way.

Thanks!

rv

It's up on the home PC. Nice Job!!! Thanks!:)

• 4 weeks later...
Try La Choza. It's on Ave 10 catty corner to the main Plaza.

Very authentic home style Mexican/Yucatan cooking. The old open air one burned down a year or so ago, but the new one has a very nice atomsphere with Mayan masks and skylight. Ask for the specials. if you don't they won't tell you. Also Casa Denis a couple of blocks away. it's one of the oldest places and you can sit outside and people watch while you eat. Great Food. For some classic Yucatan cusine, if it's still around, you can go to El Turix--been awhile since I was there--they have excellent conchinita pibil, pork slow cooked in banana leaves, tamles with ground pumpkinseed and a coconut pie that's not to be missed. it's a ways away from the tourist area over on Calle 17 and Ave 20 by the church. I hear good things about Kinta, which has classic Mexican cuisine, it's on Ave 5 between Calle 2 and 4. For local seafood, you might try Albinos on Calle 20 vetween Ave 10 and 12.

None of these places are in any way shape or form similar to Senor Frg's or it's corporate sister, Carlos & Charlies, or a holding in Jimmy Buffet's retirement fund. :D

Wonderful recommendations...many thanks! That's what we're looking for in Mexico! Hopefully those restaurants don't try to put balloon hats on the customers' heads either.

Bill and Debra

WetFeetTheNovel

Wonderful recommendations...many thanks! That's what we're looking for in Mexico! Hopefully those restaurants don't try to put balloon hats on the customers' heads either.

Bill and Debra

WetFeetTheNovel

Well, I think Bruce forgot to tell you that if you order the gallo fino at Casa Denis they give you a rubber beak and make you do the chicken dance :D:D just kidding. Enjoy and have a good time.

I want to read the book---Crew

• 5 months later...
Try La Choza. It's on Ave 10 catty corner to the main Plaza.

Very authentic home style Mexican/Yucatan cooking. The old open air one burned down a year or so ago, but the new one has a very nice atomsphere with Mayan masks and skylight. Ask for the specials. if you don't they won't tell you. Also Casa Denis a couple of blocks away. it's one of the oldest places and you can sit outside and people watch while you eat. Great Food. For some classic Yucatan cusine, if it's still around, you can go to El Turix--been awhile since I was there--they have excellent conchinita pibil, pork slow cooked in banana leaves, tamles with ground pumpkinseed and a coconut pie that's not to be missed. it's a ways away from the tourist area over on Calle 17 and Ave 20 by the church. I hear good things about Kinta, which has classic Mexican cuisine, it's on Ave 5 between Calle 2 and 4. For local seafood, you might try Albinos on Calle 20 vetween Ave 10 and 12.

None of these places are in any way shape or form similar to Senor Frg's or it's corporate sister, Carlos & Charlies, or a holding in Jimmy Buffet's retirement fund. :D

Okay How about a good taqueira..Im looking for great tacos, taco shop quick and easy possibly close to the pier so that I can possibly walk. I love Al Pastor tacos and have been told Los Guaranones on located on Calle 11 Avenida Andres Quintana Roo between Calle 45 and 50 is good (heard on ScubaTony.com) Have you been there? Umm and would you know if is far from the pier??

Thanks Much!

Okay How about a good taqueira..Im looking for great tacos, taco shop quick and easy possibly close to the pier so that I can possibly walk. I love Al Pastor tacos and have been told Los Guaranones on located on Calle 11 Avenida Andres Quintana Roo between Calle 45 and 50 is good (heard on ScubaTony.com) Have you been there? Umm and would you know if is far from the pier??

Thanks Much!

That's a bit of a distance from the pier, toward the back (eastern)part of San Miguel. If you're venturing that far into the town, try Pescarderias San Carlos, like a fish market with a kitchen for great seafood. It's in the same area. In San Miguel, closer to the ocean, try Los Otates on Calle 3 Sur and Avenida 10, just a couple of blocks south of the main plaza. There's also a tamale/taco cart next to Palmeras on the West side of the square where locals line up early. Print out 5-to-Cruise's map and Bruce R's list from the dive shop as references for great spots.

Is wet wendy's within walking distance of where Royal Caribbean ships dock?

Not sure where Royal Caribbean docks. If downtown at Punta Langosta, it is walkable. Wet Wendy's is on Ave 5 in the middle of the block between Benito Juarez and Calle 2 North.

If you are at either Puerta Maya or the International Pier you need to catch a cab and tell them to take you to the Ferry Pier. They will probably let you out in front of Palmeras. Walk a little north to Benito Juarez and turn right to Ave 5 (1 block) Turn left and Wet Wendy's will be on your left.

A very good map can be found at MapChick dot com. Well worth the money.

That's a bit of a distance from the pier, toward the back (eastern)part of San Miguel. If you're venturing that far into the town, try Pescarderias San Carlos, like a fish market with a kitchen for great seafood. It's in the same area. In San Miguel, closer to the ocean, try Los Otates on Calle 3 Sur and Avenida 10, just a couple of blocks south of the main plaza. There's also a tamale/taco cart next to Palmeras on the West side of the square where locals line up early. Print out 5-to-Cruise's map and Bruce R's list from the dive shop as references for great spots.

Do these places take American $$ or would the restaurants further from the pier take pesos?

Do these places take American $$ or would the restaurants further from the pier take pesos?

Hopefully some of the locals will chime in & confirm, but from my experience everywhere on Coz will accept US dollars (I know I've never found anyplace that does not). Some might give change in pesos, so if you plan to pay cash it's a good idea to have smaller - or at least not overly large - denominations of US money (i.e. nothing over $20s, with a mix of $10/$5/$1 bills so you can get at or close to the exact change & tip, as opposed to trying to pay a $20 tab with a $100 bill).

• 10 months later...

Archived