Seek advice on GOLF in Maui, Kauai, Kona

tak2

I have done this itinerary with American Hawaiian Cruises in 1990, and am planning a Jan 2006 one on POAmerica.

With the two days stops in Maui and Kauai, I would like to incorporate a couple of Golf games those days, plus Kona as well. We already have a foursome, so it makes sense to rent a car and book our own tee times .

Does anyone have suggestions , other than the excursions offered by NCL( I'm looking for better value)as to where to play ( I am targeting less than $125 per round, including cart , don't mind afternoon t-times, since we're in port for two days), and how to get the best prices?

Thanks

To tak2

We have golfed on Maui and I will get the names of the courses. One or two of them are municipal courses but are still beautiful. For a great game...go to the plantation course up in Kapalua (it is where they play the first tournament in January for the pros). I think it is called the Mercedes but not sure... I will respond back as soon as I get the names...

Happy Cruisin;)

On Kauai, check out Kiahuna golf course in the Poipu area. Just about 5 minutes away from Poipu Bay, and designed and built about the same time. It's a municipal course, and in 2003 cost about $65 for a round including a cart. If you play more than once, the second round is cheaper. Not oceanside, but a nice course.

Thanks, daWoods. I played that course in the late 1990's and paid $55. It was not scenic like oceanside courses, but enjoyable. I also played a municipal course on the east side ( may be 15 minutes from Lihue ) whose name started with "W" and had a few holes next to the beach, lots of real sand to contend with! It was $32, a great deal. This time, I am thinking about the Poipu or Kiele/Lagoon courses if I can get a good rate. Kauai is the only island I've played golf at.

Some great courses on Maui, in the Kapalua and Wailea areas. Haven't played them because I felt it unfair to DW who doesn't golf. However, most of the big courses have twilight rates that start about 2pm that are quite reasonable. I'm hoping to do either one of the Kapalua courses or the Poipu Bay course this year.

On Maui

Plantation course is beautiful...the Mercedes is on now...watch some of the beautiful scenery as well as the great golf...

We also love playing at Pukalani, which is on the way to the volcano and is a very reasonably priced course with gorgeous views. There is also another municipal course that is over near Mama’s but I can’t recall the name of it, but what a great little course with beautiful views of the ocean. A search on line should show the municipal courses so I hope this helps.

Hawaii golf is spectacular

Happy Cruisin ;)

Cathy

My husband is off to golf right now....

His two words? Poipu Bay. Its the best place he's been (so far) here on the islands.

Kauai also has a quirky course that is $7 to play. The old owner of the land wanted a place where someone could play the game and not worry about fees so he built this course and then willed it to the state with the stipulation that it would stay for its intended purpose. I am sure you could find it on http://www.golfhawaii.com

I forgot about the $7 course! It's a load of fun, but certainly not for people who are dead serious about their game. There were roosters on the fairway!! The owner's grave, I vaguely recall, is near the #9 green ( it's a 9 hole course ) Poipu Bay is right next to the ocean, it will be one of my choices.

For those of you thinking about Kapalua, be aware that the Plantation course is going to be closed for renovations this spring. Check their web site for the dates. Too bad, becuase that course is far better than the other two at Kapalua.

My opinions (of the ones I've played) ...

Princeville Prince, Kauai (expensive but worth it, the best I've ever played anywhere)

Princeville Makai, Kauai (pretty good for the price, more inland. I'd splurge for Princeville)

Marriott Kiele, Kauai (also expensive, but very good)

Marriott Mokihana, Kauai (don't bother, it's boring)

Kaanapaali, Maui (expensive, not worth it)

Kapalua Bay (just OK, if you can't get on Plantation)

Kapalua Village (just OK, if you can't get on Bay or Plantation)

Archived