Cell Phone Use on Caribbean Princess

rfische1

I dislike the idea of cell phones on a cruise ship. However, our son will be traveling home from college some 450 miles from here while we are on the CB around Christmas. The weather can be really questionable that time of year here in the Northeast. It would ease his mother's and my mind if he had a way to contact us should anything happen. Does anyone have any recent experience using their cell phone on the Caribbean Princess. I have Verizon service and will probably purchase a quad band phone before the cruise. Thanks.

I dislike the idea of cell phones on a cruise ship. However, our son will be traveling home from college some 450 miles from here while we are on the CB around Christmas. The weather can be really questionable that time of year here in the Northeast. It would ease his mother's and my mind if he had a way to contact us should anything happen. Does anyone have any recent experience using their cell phone on the Caribbean Princess. I have Verizon service and will probably purchase a quad band phone before the cruise. Thanks.

I just called Verizon yeserday about our cruise on CB in a little over two weeks. I was told that the per minute cost is $2.49 while on the cruise ship. once in port, if it's a US port, it'll be your usual coverage costs, in Canada they quoted me anywhere from $.69-$1.69. Data (text) no matter on or off the ship was $.50 for every outgoing text and $.05 for every incoming text. Not sure why those are different but...

I also asked them about Internet services, as I have a blackberry and recieve emails. They told me I'd be better off getting the Global Internet plan for one month at $69 flat. I could take it off my bill the next month. I don't want to pay the extra, so they got a tech person on the line to show me how I could shut off the connection but still use my phone as a PDA and alarm clock.

Hope this helps! If you have further questions, just give their customer service a call. :)

Here is a clarrification. The list of ships on the Verizon Wireless website includes all Princess ships but the Caribbean Princess. I called VZW to inquire and was told that what was on the list was correct. I then called Princess. They told me that the CB should be included. The customer service person at PCL could not understand the ommision as all PCL ships are outfitted for wireless service. I called VZW back. I relayed to the customer service rep what Princess had told me. She discussed this with her manager while I was on hold. She came backtold me that this was a clerical omission which would be fixed.

The peace of mind knowing our son can reach us in an emergency will go a long way toward our relaxation on our cruise.

It's relatively expensive to use a cell phone while on a ship. Your best bet is for him to use the Internet cafe and send email while the ship is at sea and when in port, he can use his cell phone. Keep in mind that when the ship is at sea, neither the Internet nor cell phone coverage are guaranteed. It depends on the satellite coverage area, weather, etc.

Here is a clarrification. The list of ships on the Verizon Wireless website includes all Princess ships but the Caribbean Princess. I called VZW to inquire and was told that what was on the list was correct. I then called Princess. They told me that the CB should be included. The customer service person at PCL could not understand the ommision as all PCL ships are outfitted for wireless service. I called VZW back. I relayed to the customer service rep what Princess had told me. She discussed this with her manager while I was on hold. She came backtold me that this was a clerical omission which would be fixed.

The peace of mind knowing our son can reach us in an emergency will go a long way toward our relaxation on our cruise.

So, if the CB IS included on Verizon's list, does that mean all calls on the ship are included in the nationawide coverage plan, or it's just a lower rate than I was quoted?

Thanks!

So, if the CB IS included on Verizon's list, does that mean all calls on the ship are included in the nationawide coverage plan, or it's just a lower rate than I was quoted?

Thanks!

If you use the ships system which is all that is available at sea then its $2.50-$3.00 a minute.

If the ships is close enough to shore to P/U your normal cell tower its the normal rates.

Thanks for all your responses.

Our cruise will take us from San Juan to the USVI, BVI, Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados. Per VZW, San Juan is included in the Nationwide plan. The other ports are $1.99 per min. BVI is $1.29 per minute. I believe the ship cost is $2.49 per minute. I am using my cell phone for emergency contact only for my son's travel home.

Archived