In Halong Bay, should we take a 1 night cruise?

gastronome

Hanoi is OK, but Halong Bay is spectacular. We had the luxury of flying into Hanoi and going directly to Halong Bay for an overnight sail on a junk, then we were driven the three plus hours to Hanoi, where we spent two nights before flying to Cambodia. It was interesting to see Ho Chi Minh's homes and the "Hanoi Hilton" prison, but if there was a choice between Halong Bay or Hanoi, Halong Bay would win hands down.

Is there anything else to do, because the 1st day we arrive at 1pm, so we have the whole afternoon free.

2nd day we do the trip on the junk boat for 8h.

thanks again benita

As I have posted in this thread, with your late ship arrival time, you really have a choice of going into Hanoi overnight or going to Halong overnight. There is VERY little to do around the area-a couple of temples and shops and the market in Halong City. There is an old fort in the area- The port areas are very industrial. I spend quite a bit of time in all Northern port areas for my business. I have never found much to entertain myself.

From Hai Phong/Cai Lan/Cai Phong, you can get a taxi to the ferry port and take a fast boat/slow boat to Cat Ba Island. But you will need good co-ordination from either a travel agent or contacts with expats who live in Vietnam. There is a travel agency in Hanoi who sold me the ferry tickets but I still had to depend on my driver/translator to make sure I got on the right ferry. Private boats also sell transport to Cat Ba. There is not much to do there, but the beaches are fairly nice if you want to go swimming.

No other suggestions. Does the ship have any "local" tours for a couple of hours?? You can always hire either a tuk-tuk or rent a moto and just drive yourself around.

Is there anything else to do, because the 1st day we arrive at 1pm, so we have the whole afternoon free.

2nd day we do the trip on the junk boat for 8h.

thanks again benita

I looked at your cruise on the Azamara website - unfortunately, they don't seem to offer any shore excursions for the afternoon. It is too far to go into Hanoi unless you do an overnight and then you would miss the Halong Bay cruise the next day. There are so many companies that do the overnight junk tour . They usually set sail about 1pm. I don't know where the Azamara docks in relation to where the bay cruise embarks, but if it is not too far, perhaps you can find a company that will wait for you. The cruise certainly was the highlight of our Vietnam trip and it would be great if you could make it longer and not waste an afternoon.

Hi Caramelo,

We arrive 2pm & face the same problem. And we've come to the same conclusion - on the second day we'll take an 8 hr day cruise, which gives us more cruising time than a trunkated overnighter, sailing to the same places, no need to cross fingers that we'll find sharers, and time to explore on land on day 1.

We'd considered Greatham's alternative suggestion to head for Hanoi the first afternoon & hotel in Hanio, but to then join the day-cruise via their transport from Hanoi. But that's a whole lot of travelling for just an evening in Hanoi. With a call of a day & a half we reckon we can't do justice to Hanoi & Halong Bay - its one or the other, & we've plumped for the Bay.

Thanks to all for the input

John Bull

It is kind of ironic that Azamara ("Club") marketing is around the fact they will have more overnights and less ports than other ships so you have more time to explore, but this docking schedule doesn't leave time for both Hanoi and Halong Bay. We decided to skip this itinerary/direction and go the other way which stops in Cambodia and save Hanoi and Halong for another trip. We realized we would have to come back another trip to see either Hanoi or Halong.

The direction from Singapore (to Hong Kong) also has that late arrival in HCMC at 2:00pm whereas the other direction (Hong Kong to Singapore) is scheduled to arrive in the morning at 9:00am.

It is kind of ironic that Azamara ("Club") marketing is around the fact they will have more overnights and less ports than other ships so you have more time to explore, but this docking schedule doesn't leave time for both Hanoi and Halong Bay. We decided to skip this itinerary/direction and go the other way which stops in Cambodia and save Hanoi and Halong for another trip. We realized we would have to come back another trip to see either Hanoi or Halong.

The direction from Singapore (to Hong Kong) also has that late arrival in HCMC at 2:00pm whereas the other direction (Hong Kong to Singapore) is scheduled to arrive in the morning at 9:00am.

Hi Jade,

We've got basically the same scheduling problem, but sadly not the same solution since our ship is mv Discovery, not in the Azamara fleet. She's a bit of a tramp, she meanders around the world, rarely repeating an itinerary.

So we've got Halong Bay 2 nights but 1 1/2 days and HCMC 3 nights but also just 1 1/2 days.

C'est la vie

Greatham or anyone else - by taking the day-long Bay cruise, we have a free afternoon/evening. We don't know the patch & the only location info we can get from the cruise line is "Halong Port", don't know if this narrows the location down? We've been offered a city tour for around $25 pp, anyone know if this is likely to be worthwhile? or any other options?

Season's greetings to all,

John Bull

Hi everybody,

I dont care to go to Hanoi, its too far away.

So what about Cat ba? Is it worse to go? And if we take a taxi to the ferry, will be no problem for the trip back to the ship? This would be a good idea for the 1st day.:)

John Bull, your trip is great. You have got a lot of time to see everything.

First of all we wanted to go on the Legend of the sea. 13 month ago we made the reservation , but it was full. So they put us in the waiting list.

After 2 month they told us the cruise was canceld, but I can see in this forum american people are going on this cruise. So there was no chance for us to join this cruise.

The only Vietnam trip was with azamara, so lets have a look how we go on.

My friend caramelo let me write with her nickname, because I couldnt register myself here from spain. Since years I am reading this forum, because its the best one.

Thanks to everbody for the help:)

To John Bull and Caramelo,

As I posted, there really isn't a lot to do in the area. A couple of temples (15 minutes each), shops, wandering around and just soaking in the local area, and the market in HALONG CITY (which is much more a local food type market than the ones in Hanoi/Saigon).

A trip to Cat Ba is certainly doable BUT the ferry schedules are in Vietnamese, tickets must be purchased in Dong (unless you purchase them from a third party), the schedules change frequently and even as much time as I spend in Vietnam for business, I sure wouldn't try to buy ferry tickets and get to the ferry by myself without help from my drivers/translators or a VERY reputable TA.

I just really don't understand how these 8 hour Halong Bay cruises are going to work IF you are not chartering a boat. 95% of the Halong Bay cruises leave around noon. The typical schedule is leave Hanoi about 8AM, drive three hours with a stop to Halong. Arrive about noon. Board the junk sometime between noon and 1PM. The day cruise junks return to the Halong Bay dock about 5-6PM. Customers are returned to Hanoi betwee 8-9PM. They call these 11-12 hour trips, when in reality, 7 of those hours are spent in transit.

So you can see my quandry when you state you are NOT chartering a boat (Caramelo), have an 8 hour trip and are going on a regularly scheduled boat.

One big reason I recommended the overnight Halong cruise-even if you leave at 2-3PM, you still have about 3 hours of daylight, then a lovely evening on the water. The next day, the floating village and the cave (if you didn't get to the cave the day before). Arrive back at the Halong Dock about noon. About 7 hours of actual daylight on the water plus a lovely overnight. It is quite interesting at night with all the fisherman leaving Cat Ba for their fishing and all the other overnight boats. By the time you arrive back in Halong Dock and an hour drive back to your ship, it will only be a few hours until you leave the area.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check these things out VERY carefully and make sure you understand EXACTLY what you are getting. The travel agencies have probably chartered their own boats to accommodate cruise passengers-itinerary is probably something like this: Pick up at cruise ship dock about 9AM, drive to Halong dock and board ship about 10-11AM, then return to Halong Dock about 4PM. Drive to cruise ship dock and arrive about 5PM. NO WAY, NO HOW do I believe that you are getting EIGHT hours on the water with a day trip.

Hallo greatam, I am going to copy the letter from de vietnames agency:

Thanks a lot for getting back to me.

I am sorry to keep you waiting. For a trip in Halong Bay, I would like to suggest you an itinerary below:

Aboard your day junk for the cruise on the emerald green waters of Halong Bay, among the 3,000 spectacular limestone islands. A fresh seafood lunch will be served on board. In the afternoon your boat will start the cruise back to Halong City.

Including:

- Guide on board

- Bai Tho Deluxe Junk ( 8 hours )

Excluding:

- Transfers from or to the port

- Kayak

so this means, they pick us up 8am and bring us back late in the afternoon. It says 8h trip. I hope I understood this alright, becaus when you write in a language which is not yours it makes it more dificult.

I wont take a chance to do on my own Cat ba, because if everything is in vietnamese, I can get it wrong jajajjajja:D

greatam, tell me what you think about this trip, but dont forget, I paid a couple of days ago:confused:

I am sorry to keep you waiting. For a trip in Halong Bay, I would like to suggest you an itinerary below:

Aboard your day junk for the cruise on the emerald green waters of Halong Bay, among the 3,000 spectacular limestone islands. A fresh seafood lunch will be served on board. In the afternoon your boat will start the cruise back to Halong City.

Including:

- Guide on board

Excluding:

- Kayak

so this means, they pick us up 8am and bring us back late in the afternoon. It says 8h trip. I hope I understood this alright, becaus when you write in a language which is not yours it makes it more dificult.

I wont take a chance to do on my own Cat ba, because if everything is in vietnamese, I can get it wrong jajajjajja:D

greatam, tell me what you think about this trip, but dont forget, I paid a couple of days ago:confused:

If you have already paid, there is not much you can do unless they refund. You got a fair price (about $80 pp) for pickup and cruise for 4 people.

I still see nothing about a pick up time in the email. I see that it is an 8 hour tour BUT does that include transport time??? I am guessing it does, so it will be 8 hours total and you will be back at Halong dock by about 5PM (it will be dark or very close to it). MOST of the junks DO NOT move much after dark. They put down anchor about 5PM. So I am guessing you will head back no later than 3:30PM. As I posted previously, about 6 hours ON THE WATER. I truly believe the travel agent made arrangements with the boat owner to do this day cruise. The TA booked the entire boat and is selling "seats in coach".

Enjoy!!!!

To John Bull and Caramelo,

As I posted, there really isn't a lot to do in the area. A couple of temples (15 minutes each), shops, wandering around and just soaking in the local area, and the market in HALONG CITY (which is much more a local food type market than the ones in Hanoi/Saigon).

A trip to Cat Ba is certainly doable BUT the ferry schedules are in Vietnamese, tickets must be purchased in Dong (unless you purchase them from a third party), the schedules change frequently and even as much time as I spend in Vietnam for business, I sure wouldn't try to buy ferry tickets and get to the ferry by myself without help from my drivers/translators or a VERY reputable TA.

I just really don't understand how these 8 hour Halong Bay cruises are going to work IF you are not chartering a boat. 95% of the Halong Bay cruises leave around noon. The typical schedule is leave Hanoi about 8AM, drive three hours with a stop to Halong. Arrive about noon. Board the junk sometime between noon and 1PM. The day cruise junks return to the Halong Bay dock about 5-6PM. Customers are returned to Hanoi betwee 8-9PM. They call these 11-12 hour trips, when in reality, 7 of those hours are spent in transit.

So you can see my quandry when you state you are NOT chartering a boat (Caramelo), have an 8 hour trip and are going on a regularly scheduled boat.

One big reason I recommended the overnight Halong cruise-even if you leave at 2-3PM, you still have about 3 hours of daylight, then a lovely evening on the water. The next day, the floating village and the cave (if you didn't get to the cave the day before). Arrive back at the Halong Dock about noon. About 7 hours of actual daylight on the water plus a lovely overnight. It is quite interesting at night with all the fisherman leaving Cat Ba for their fishing and all the other overnight boats. By the time you arrive back in Halong Dock and an hour drive back to your ship, it will only be a few hours until you leave the area.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check these things out VERY carefully and make sure you understand EXACTLY what you are getting. The travel agencies have probably chartered their own boats to accommodate cruise passengers-itinerary is probably something like this: Pick up at cruise ship dock about 9AM, drive to Halong dock and board ship about 10-11AM, then return to Halong Dock about 4PM. Drive to cruise ship dock and arrive about 5PM. NO WAY, NO HOW do I believe that you are getting EIGHT hours on the water with a day trip.

Hi Greatham,

Thought I'd cracked it :), now I'm not so sure :confused:

Yes, we've seen just so many offers, whether one day or more, which start around 8.30am in Hanoi with a 3+ hr drive to Halong & sailing about 12 noon

But there are hotels in the local area plus cruise ships, so there's presumably sufficient demand for cruises with a local start point. And what we've found - with a tour operator based in Halong City - includes travel to the jetty from a HALONG CITY hotel, and offers a choice of 4 or 6 or 8 hour cruises. And clearly 4 hour and 6 hour cruises including travel time from Hanoi are impossible.

And they are aware that we are on a cruise ship based in the Halong Bay area.

Details are on:

http://www.halongsails.net/

I'd rather presumed that the 8 hours (9am to 5pm) was jetty to jetty - it's been my experience elsewhere in the world that hotel pick-ups tend to be in advance of advertised start times. But even if it's Halong Bay hotel to Halong Bay hotel then that surely still equates to 6 - 7 hrs jetty to jetty.

I've already asked him to advise what time pick-up at the ship - his reply will be interesting ;)

So I was pretty confident that we'd get in the same amount of cruising distance as an overniter & presumably more than the trunkated overniter (leaving the jetty 3pm at the earliest) which would be our only other Bay cruise option - but your posting plus more than a little difficulty with the guy's english now leaves me back in confusion.

If it turns out to be more like 4 hours on the water then we'll have to re-think the whole port-of-call. No damage done other than the grief, since he's agreed to nil deposit & payment in cash at the end of the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Caramelo's boat trip is the same one as ours, though it's through a different agency. We're on $90 pp, but we're just 2 so I guess that balances out at about the same value.

Your comments on this posting would be very much appreciated

Regards

John Bull

Hi Greatham,

Thought I'd cracked it :), now I'm not so sure :confused:

Yes, we've seen just so many offers, whether one day or more, which start around 8.30am in Hanoi with a 3+ hr drive to Halong & sailing about 12 noon

But there are hotels in the local area plus cruise ships, so there's presumably sufficient demand for cruises with a local start point. And what we've found - with a tour operator based in Halong City - includes travel to the jetty from a HALONG CITY hotel, and offers a choice of 4 or 6 or 8 hour cruises. And clearly 4 hour and 6 hour cruises including travel time from Hanoi are impossible.

And they are aware that we are on a cruise ship based in the Halong Bay area.

Details are on:

http://www.halongsails.net/

I'd rather presumed that the 8 hours (9am to 5pm) was jetty to jetty - it's been my experience elsewhere in the world that hotel pick-ups tend to be in advance of advertised start times. But even if it's Halong Bay hotel to Halong Bay hotel then that surely still equates to 6 - 7 hrs jetty to jetty.

I've already asked him to advise what time pick-up at the ship - his reply will be interesting ;)

So I was pretty confident that we'd get in the same amount of cruising distance as an overniter & presumably more than the trunkated overniter (leaving the jetty 3pm at the earliest) which would be our only other Bay cruise option - but your posting plus more than a little difficulty with the guy's english now leaves me back in confusion.

If it turns out to be more like 4 hours on the water then we'll have to re-think the whole port-of-call. No damage done other than the grief, since he's agreed to nil deposit & payment in cash at the end of the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Caramelo's boat trip is the same one as ours, though it's through a different agency. We're on $90 pp, but we're just 2 so I guess that balances out at about the same value.

Your comments on this posting would be very much appreciated

Regards

John Bull

I just really don't know what to tell you. I looked at the website. But I still believe the pickup/drop off time will be included in the 8 hours. But maybe not. Halong Bay is NOT that big, so 6-7 hours on the water would allow you to see most everything. BUT where are you actually docking? Caramelo's ship is docking in Cai Lan, which is a good hour + away.

What boat are you going on? I noticed VIP boat and "normal boat", which to me is the backpacker boats, but again, I could be wrong. I would definitely ask, as some of those boats as pretty worn. As much time as I have spent around the docks in North Vietnam for my business, I have never run into anyone who has actually stayed at a hotel in Halong City. I know they have a few hotels/guesthouses, but I would expect them to be filled with backpackers and Asians. I went shopping one day next to a hotel (can't remember the name, but my driver said is was the biggest in Halong City) and it seemed like it was mostly Asians in and around the hotel.

I guess with the late ship arrivals, this is one of those cases where you just do the best you can and hope for the best experience. Sorry I don't have better info for you. I am currently at JFK leaving for the Middle East in a few hours. I will be in Vietnam/Cambodia by the end of January for my winter shipments of fruit. IF I find out anything (I will email my driver/translator), I will post immediately. Good luck and Enjoy!!!!

My god, this is geting more and more confused hahahhahha

This agency is not smile tours. Somebody from a diferent forum told me to book there, because it should be a very good company.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont want to think I have made a mistake.

Our trip is 79$each, and if we get 2 more people on the boat the price drops to 54 more or less.

My friend caramelo let me write with her nickname, because I couldnt register myself here from spain. Since years I am reading this forum, because its the best one.

That's so funny because we thought that was your name :)

Btw, how did you like Antarctica and the Fram?

My god, this is geting more and more confused hahahhahha

This agency is not smile tours. Somebody from a diferent forum told me to book there, because it should be a very good company.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont want to think I have made a mistake.

Our trip is 79$each, and if we get 2 more people on the boat the price drops to 54 more or less.

As Greatam posted, you need to ask more questions.

What time is pick-up and is it at the port?

What time does the boat leave?

What is the name/size (how many max passengers)of the boat?

What is the length of the cruise?

What time do we depart back to the cruise ship?

Don't forget to tell them what time your ship is departing.

Carmelo, what are others on your roll call doing here?

Oh, wait a minute. I just realized your quote says "Exclusions" (Inclusions would mean it was included) "Transfer to the port". I read that to mean you have to get to and from the junk/boat on your own as they are not offering transfers. Did you realize this? I thought Greatam said your port was over an hour away?

Including:

- Guide on board

Excluding:

- Kayak

"Excluding:

- Transfers from or to the port"

This means they are not picking you up from Azamara nor bringing you back. Transfers are not included.

How did you pay in advance? By credit card?

I just really don't know what to tell you. I looked at the website. But I still believe the pickup/drop off time will be included in the 8 hours. But maybe not. Halong Bay is NOT that big, so 6-7 hours on the water would allow you to see most everything. BUT where are you actually docking? Caramelo's ship is docking in Cai Lan, which is a good hour + away.

What boat are you going on? I noticed VIP boat and "normal boat", which to me is the backpacker boats, but again, I could be wrong. I would definitely ask, as some of those boats as pretty worn. As much time as I have spent around the docks in North Vietnam for my business, I have never run into anyone who has actually stayed at a hotel in Halong City. I know they have a few hotels/guesthouses, but I would expect them to be filled with backpackers and Asians. I went shopping one day next to a hotel (can't remember the name, but my driver said is was the biggest in Halong City) and it seemed like it was mostly Asians in and around the hotel.

I guess with the late ship arrivals, this is one of those cases where you just do the best you can and hope for the best experience. Sorry I don't have better info for you. I am currently at JFK leaving for the Middle East in a few hours. I will be in Vietnam/Cambodia by the end of January for my winter shipments of fruit. IF I find out anything (I will email my driver/translator), I will post immediately. Good luck and Enjoy!!!!

Thanks Greatham,

Our boat I guess will be the "normal" boat - Jimmy offered us the VIP boat for the same money if we paid up-front by bankers draft. We're more than a little wary about sending irrecoverable money through cyberspace to Vietnam so made our excuses, & he's happy to get cash at the end of the day. No reason we can't pay the extra $19 pp for the VIP boat, tho the only info on the difference has come from yourself.

It's a struggle getting info out of Jimmy cos his english is pretty poor (ok, better than my vietnamese :)) so really I need to stick to basics with him.

We asked the cruise line where the ship (mv Discovery, love-boat's twin sister, 650 pax, 21,000ton) would be at the various ports-of-call - for Halong Bay their response was "Halong Bay", which I suspect is not very helpful. If it's an hour from the junks that'll be a bind, but I've also seen threads which mention folk having been just a five-minute car journey away - if so we do have that spare first afternoon to go-look-see.

Regards,

John Bull

That's so funny because we thought that was your name :)

Btw, how did you like Antarctica and the Fram?

Jade I cant register my name here, no chance. So my friend caramelo let me use her nickname.

She had a great trip on the fram:)

Archived