Poncho's Back Yard - Cozumel

VABeach

We were just in Cozumel in December and headed straight for Pancho's Backyard for guacamole, Margaritas and Pina Coladas. (I like the Ritas and my sister loves the Pinas). The guacamole is the best anywhere and be sure to order the LARGE drinks. The black bean soup is excellent as well and the matches for Panches have the receipe for it printed inside them.

Panchos is in the store called Los Cinco Soles located at the very end of the main street, but all the cab drivers know where it is. I would definitely recommend getting there by cab because they are working on the street and most of it was torn up when we were there.

Enjoy your trip there and be sure to have a Rita for me!

Ditto on everyone's responses. Have been to Cozy three times and make it a point to eat at Pancho's. It is our favorite place to eat when in Cozy. If you like margaritas, you have to get a grande. Best I have ever had (and I have had a few). :D

While at Los Cinco Soles, check out the tequila bar and buy some Mexican vanilla. If you have questions about tequila, you can ask the salesman who is quite informative.

I completely concur with all of the previous coments about Pancho's it is great. The food and drinks are wonderful and the outside atmosphere is wonderful. The best part: as soon as you're done with lunch, you can start shopping at Los Cinco Soles.

That stinks...Because we went to the "fiesta party boat" after getting back i was so beat up, almost drunk and sunburned too that we didn't go downtown and i simply love Mexican food. We did eat at the beach when on the party boat and it was good too. And when in Costa Maya we stayed at the port and we ate right next to the pool, where they have the music and all the shops.

The best part: as soon as you're done with lunch, you can start shopping at Los Cinco Soles.

No, no, no. We are Pancho Junkies. Been there 4 times in the past 2 years. But, shop first!

On one visit it was hot and we decided to have some 'ritas, guacamole, and lunch first. Yup, had the coupons. After lunch and a couple of grandes we stopped by the tequila shop (conveniently located right outside of the Pancho's entrance). Walked outside and hopped a cab back to the ship ($5).

Later in the cruise we were filling out the customs tag. DW says "what liqour did we buy at Cinco Soles?" We had to wait until the final night delivery to find out what we bought. :eek:

Definately shop first. And keep a five dollar bill in your pocket for the return trip. (Six if you are docked at Puerto Maya or International Piers)

Last trip the road in front of Cinco Soles was torn up and we had to walk 3 blocks to get the cab.

Charlie (looking forward to being at Pancho's in March '05)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks For The Coupons For The Margaritas. We Are Going In April On The Grandeur. Will Be Sure To Use Them.

Any Other Suggestions As To What To Do In Cozumel? Not Exactly Excited About Booking Excursions. Would Rather Explore On Our Own.

in agree with...the wife and i ate at poncho's last february when we were on the NOS and the food was excellent and the drinks were...let's just say wonderful and numerous...they even let us use two sets of coupons...we paid for lunch then we opened up another tab...per the advice of julio the waiter...he was great...

Pancho's is our favorite place in Cozumel. We "found" it on our honeymoon in 1992 and have visited every time we are in Cozumel since. My favorites are the chips and Salsa, the chicken fajitas and of course the Margaritas. What a great place to rest in between shopping and enjoy the cool breeze of the fans and wonderful food, not to mention entertainment.

Don't worry about having too much left in your Margarita glass when you finally have to rush back to the ship, they'll put your remaining drink in a to-go-cup. They're the best. Must try their chips and salsa. My daughter was getting braids put in her hair and my DH agreed to stay with her while I checked out Pancho's. The best, can't wait to have my DH enjoy on our next visit.

Went to Poncho's in Cozumel about 3 years ago. I loved it. I found lots of trinkets (ok the same junk we all buy at these stops!). There was a big store attatched. The backyard had great margaritas, a very cool marimba band and it just seemed out of the way. A nice place to make you seem like you are off the beaten path. Cheers! :)

Archived