Sydney-Grand Tour Bras D'or Region Tour -How to get to Highland Village Museum?

Since Louisbourg will only be partially open on the day we visit Sydney (Oct. 19th), we finally decided on the "Grand Tour Bras D'or Region Tour", which visits the Highland Village Museum. When I tried to book it with Crown Princess, I realized it is waitlisted to our disappointment. I did call Highland Village Museum directly and they are open after Oct 18th on the days that cruise ships are in port and you can go without a ship's tour. The problem is, getting there. Are there taxis readily available at the pier in Sydney? Is it best to book a private driver in advance? Any suggestions? Has anyone been on this tour? Did you enjoy it?

Thanks.

I found this company by doing a Cruise Critic search.

http://molegatours.ca/index.php

There must be other tour companies as well. Try doing a search on Tripadvisor and google.

You could also rent a car. There are previous postings about this so do a search.

It is an easy drive, and you will not need a guide as there are guides (animators) in the village. We drove there last year in late October. It was a beautiful sunny day and the scenery was spectacular. We also thoroughly enjoyed the Highland Village.

Thanks for the tip about driving there. I am not sure I want to drive but a taxi may be an idea. Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. I was hoping to get some positive feedback!

I did send an email to Molega and they don't actually do tours in Sydney but oversee them (I wasn't too sure what he meant by that).

Thanks.

When I called the Highland Village they told me that they are only open for ship's tours after Oct. 18th (mid October) not if you come on your own. Looks like they are giving out conflicting information. We wanted to visit the village since we are renting a car but after speaking with them I would hate to drive there and find they aren't open to people not on ship's tours.

When I called the Highland Village they told me that they are only open for ship's tours after Oct. 18th (mid October) not if you come on your own. Looks like they are giving out conflicting information since World Gallery was told they are open. We wanted to visit the village since we are renting a car but after speaking with them I would hate to drive there and find they aren't open to people not on ship's tours.

When I called the Highland Village they told me that they are only open for ship's tours after Oct. 18th (mid October) not if you come on your own. Looks like they are giving out conflicting information since World Gallery was told they are open. We wanted to visit the village since we are renting a car but after speaking with them I would hate to drive there and find they aren't open to people not on ship's tours.

Does sound like we are getting conflicting information. That is strange. I had talk to a man but don't have his name. He even gave me a number to one driving service, Scotia Tours, that he thought could bring us to the museum.

I also just heard back from Tartan Tours and they said that they can bring us to Highland Village. I think I will ask them about all of this. Maybe they would know since they do tours in the area.

Thanks for the input.

I would appreciate you posting whatever information you get. I will try to call again this week also. We can compare what we are told. Maybe it's only open to groups from companies and tours from ships but not individually.:confused:

I would appreciate you posting whatever information you get. I will try to call again this week also. We can compare what we are told. Maybe it's only open to groups from companies and tours from ships but not individually.:confused:

I receive a quick response from Tartan Tours and this is what they said:

" Now your question if I can get you in is a real good one. Due to the cruiseshiop arriving here I will only find out if the higland village has a comfirmed booking with the ship 2 days before you arrive. If they dont have enough people they will cancel this tour provided by the cruiseship and the village will NOT open."

I would assume that Highland Village museum would be open because Crown Princess's tour there is already full and is waitlisted for Oct. 19th.

I would assume that this means you can get in if the museum is actually open that day for the cruise ship. I would call the museum again and ask more detailed questions. It wouldn't make any sense to turn your away.

We are booking with Tartan and our plan is to go here if the weather is nice and to go to Baddeck to the Alexander Bell Museum if it is raining. We just have to tell them 2 days in advance which place. Since both tours are the same cost, we pay the same deposit and decided later on the place.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is it to rent a car in Sydney?

I am going to call the Village tomorrow and ask them again. It may be that they are so busy with tours that they don't want to bother with individual walk-ins after closing to the public.

As for renting a car I just checked and now they are going for around $83.00 Canadian for a full size. I don't recall what we paid as I have all the papers put away since I'm finished with that port but I recall it was a little cheaper but not much since we are going right after your dates. For us it is definitely worth it as we are four people.

Update:

Just called Highland Village and spoke to someone again (a very nice lady). First they said they were closed then I mentioned that they are open for the cruise tours and the person said we could come during those times in the morning as that is the only time they would be open. So unless you mention they are open for cruise tours they tell you they are closed thinking you will come anytime throughout the day. They are only open till the tours leave which is approx around 11:30am (give or take a little). Glad the confusion of answers is corrected. So now we are off to the village.:)

Archived