11 CCL ships out of FL - 3 in CA???

AZ Karaoke Girl

Yes I can believe that! I have never seen those prices that low.... But I can't see getting on a cruise ship just to putt around and do circle

eights:p

When I can spend 3 compt days in Las Vegas for the same price basically.....I will still gamble at both venues, beer will be free in Vegas so that would compensate for the free food on the cruise ship........

As a matter of fact we used to do ski races from Newport to Catalina in when we were younger:p

Obviously you need to gamble more to get the food compt also;):D:rolleyes::p.

Completely agree about the circle thing. On that cruise the Paradise was clocked at going a whopping .3knots (that's point three). Just fast enough not to drift with the current and keep the light on. Mom and Sis had an aft OV. They didn't even have a wake to enjoy!

We like the 3/day cruises. Just long enough to get away and relax and be back at work on Monday.

Yes they do, but only 3 or 4 times a year, not on a regular basis.
I counted 22 times that the Carnival Spirit is sailing to Acapulco from San Diego between October 2009 and April 2010. Plus a one week cruise to the typical three ports makes 23. Here is a link to the schedule ...

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Search/default.aspx?src=qp&dest=MR&destinationText=MR&startDate=09/20/2009&cruiseMonth=September&endDate=09/20/2012&Senior=N&PastGuest=N&embkCode=SDG&portName=SDG#

I counted 22 times that the Carnival Spirit is sailing to Acapulco from San Diego between October 2009 and April 2010. Plus a one week cruise to the typical three ports makes 23. Here is a link to the schedule ...

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Search/default.aspx?src=qp&dest=MR&destinationText=MR&startDate=09/20/2009&cruiseMonth=September&endDate=09/20/2012&Senior=N&PastGuest=N&embkCode=SDG&portName=SDG#

I think they may be talking about the Spirits short Cabo and Ensenada runs for the month of Oct. 2010............maybe? maybe not....

The Spirit makes a regular trip to the Mexican Riviera from October through April. So it is making this run over 20 times per year, not three or four.

I stand corrected, sorry. You were right, there are many more then just the 3 or 4 that I thought went there.

I stand corrected, i was looking in the wrong area. Sorry.

I think this Swine Flu thing really put a spot light on just how "limited" California is as far as destination ports go.

Florida has all kinds of options ....when our Glory cruise could not go West...we just stayed East and had a blast.

Sadly, California did not have that option.

Like I said there are other ports that they could go to, besides Cabo, PV or Matalan. They could go to Acapulco, Mananaillo or Ixtapa and others. They could also start a PNW cruise. They could stop in San Fransisco, Coo'sBay Oregon, Astoria Oregon, Portland Oregon, Vancouver Washington, Seattle Washington and other ports along the west coast.

So Carnival should just ignore the PSA?

If you want that itinerary you'll have to talk to congress.

I think this Swine Flu thing really put a spot light on just how "limited" California is as far as destination ports go.

Florida has all kinds of options ....when our Glory cruise could not go West...we just stayed East and had a blast.

Sadly, California did not have that option.

I totally agree! And when we were at a resort in Puerta Villarta a few weeks ago they pretty much told us the same thing......the hotels and resorts occupancy is way down.....

I talked to my PVP today and none of those people can figure out this move because she said that the Elation always sails as a full ship, the only thing they can figure is that Charelston gave Carnival an option to use the port that they could not turn down. The PVP said that Carnival has more ships leaving out of Florida that are not full then they do out of California, which I believe her on.

I was thinking maybe they wanted to get Charleston estalished and when the Magic comes out maybe they will send another ship to San Diego.

Cabo requires a full day to get to. One day there and another day back. That is four nights. All the other ports require two days. Thus either you sail for four days and get one port, or you go for six nights by sailing for three days and spending two days in port.

On top of which, a four night cruise to Cabo requires 1400 miles of fuel. A four night cruise to Cozumel from Miami only requires 1000 miles of fuel. That is a huge increase in fuel use going to Cabo vs. Cozumel. So even if each sells for the same price, the one in Florida makes more money.

There is a reason that Miami is the cruise capitol.

Mainly because Carnival headquarters there!

[/b]

Mainly because Carnival headquarters there!

You got it backwards. CCL (and RCI and NCL) have headquarters in Miami because it's the best port in the US to sail from, from a cruise line's perspective:

1) It's close to many foreign ports.

2) It's a big city, so it's easy to provision the ship.

3) It draws many tourists already, and it's easy to sell people on traveling there to catch their cruise.

4) It's a very large port, allowing a large concentration of ships to home-port there.

5) It's airport is extremely large and busy, making it easy to get there.

6) The airport is relatively close to the port.

These are just a few things that make Miami the top cruise port.

I live in Oklahoma so unless I am going to Galveston I have to choose to fly either to the east coast or west coast to cruise. I am sailing on the Carnival Splendor in February for a change of pace but I really prefer the Caribbean any day over sailing to the Mexican Riviera, Pacific NW, or Alaska. Give me warm weather and ocean waters any day and I am a happy camper. My favorite cruise is Southern Caribbean out fo San Juan which I will be doing for the 3rd time next summer.

I think you meant the port of Long Beach instead of San Pedro. The Splendor sails out of Long Beach not San Pedro!:)

Oops~~~I knew that. :o :)

quote=Kurbanfan;21303485]I actually would love a 6 night to Cabo and La Paz........I even put that on my comment card the last 2 times I sailed on the Elation:D

Now that would be something different. I'd go for that. sighhhhhhhhhh

Pat

There are Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises out of California as well, not just Mexico.

Can you say, October, November, December, January, February, and March? How many months are there again? I forget!

And I'm unfamiliar with the speed boat cruiseship that does 3,4, or 7 day Hawaii cruises out of Ca. Is that the Carnival Nascar?:p

San Diego had two ships. The Spirit is still there.

HAD is the operative word. Spirit is part time ship. It isn't there during the summer when the kids are out of school.

Like I said there are other ports that they could go to, besides Cabo, PV or Matalan. They could go to Acapulco, Mananaillo or Ixtapa and others. They could also start a PNW cruise. They could stop in San Fransisco, Coo'sBay Oregon, Astoria Oregon, Portland Oregon, Vancouver Washington, Seattle Washington and other ports along the west coast.

Actually a lot of options for a ship sailing out of San Diego. But they won't be short 3 day cruises. I would rather take a 7 or 8 day summer cruise out of San Diego than out of LA so I'd rather they move the Splendor or another ship to San Diego for the summer months. Even the Paradise. We need a summer option out of San Diego.

The key being no summer cruises. People get blasted on cruise critic for taking their kids out of school to go on a cruise yet there are no options when they are not in school unless we have to add airfare which then makes it twice the cost.

The key being no summer cruises. People get blasted on cruise critic for taking their kids out of school to go on a cruise yet there are no options when they are not in school unless we have to add airfare which then makes it twice the cost.

So you drive two hours up the coast and cruise out of Los Angeles.

HAD is the operative word. Spirit is part time ship. It isn't there during the summer when the kids are out of school.

This Spirit spends more time in San Diego every year than the rest of the Carnival fleet spent in Charleston for the last five years.

Duh!

San Diego is a far superior port to LA. JMHO. Yes I can drive to LA and have done so. I also have sat in the parking lot by Queen Mary for 2 hours while it sprinkled on me waiting until they started boarding the ship. San Diego has a nice indoor seating area and if you don't want to sit & wait, there are tons of stores at Seaport Village along the harbor which is a quick walk for the pier. And do you get this scenery when leaving LA?

2907501720040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for playin!

Duh!

San Diego is a far superior port to LA. JMHO. Yes I can drive to LA and have done so. I also have sat in the parking lot by Queen Mary for 2 hours while it sprinkled on me waiting until they started boarding the ship. San Diego has a nice indoor seating area and if you don't want to sit & wait, there are tons of stores at Seaport Village along the harbor which is a quick walk for the pier. And do you get this scenery when leaving LA?

2907501720040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for playin!

I've been to both ports. I don't choose a cruise based on the facilities at the home port. The first time I cruised out of Miami I stood in the August sun, heat and humidity for about 45 minutes until we could start boarding. That hasn't stop me from booking additional cruises out of Miami.

And no, when leaving Carnival's port in Long Beach, if one looks back, this is what one sees ...

A-Port-154.jpg

Archived