Mont St. Michel

twoatsea

I don't know what you mean about 365 steps. Yes, you have to walk up to the top; whether that will be a problem, only you can answer. I'm 63 and had no trouble at all at Mont St. Michel, or the steps at Notre Dame in Paris, Cologne cathedral, etc. but that doesn't mean you won't. Living in NYC, I walk several miles each day just going to and from work. If you're not used to physical exercise, you may have a problem. All I can really tell you is that if you can make the walk, it is totally worth it. Even better is to spend the night in one of the hotels, because then you have the place pretty much to yourself, and it's really magical.

If you find you have trouble getting up to the village midway before you even start fro the rest of the stairs fro the Abbey then don't go. I have been there a few times and only went up to the Abbey once and I thought I would die.I can make it midway now I suppose taking it slower as knee and breathing have slowed me down in the years since I was first there.You can go at your own pace and see how you do.If you go enjoy and it will be crowded depending time of year.

The 365 steps! Are they continuous? Or spread out throughout the site? We are senior citizens & our knees & lungs are what they used to be. Any comments on how difficult these are to climb Thanks

In going up those steps at Mont St. Michel, it is not as if you are in a narrow stairwell going up a church tower. Theses steps and the path up are fairly wide with lots of things to see and shops to stop at as you work your way up to the top. Don't worry that you will be blocking or slowing others as you can take your time going up. It is well worth the visit and walk up. I strongly urge making that effort. A good point is made by RHefley228. Doing some added walking and exercise in advance of your Europe trip is good and smart. You will need to do more walking there and the pavement/surfaces are not all as uniform and easy as you might find in newer parts of the United States.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 months later...

Just to add to the comments, it is quite a hike but well worth it. If you can't make it, the village at the base of the cathedral is very charming, and you can enjoy the views. I also wanted to add that we went to Mont-st-Michel with a tour group from St. Malo, and while my husband and I can climb like billy goats, our guide did not dawdle for those who were not able to make the climb. I thought it was a shame because he was a young (20ish) French guy, and he could have been a little more sensitive. And I'm not encouraging any comments about different cultures but simply commenting on what happened on my tour.

cberge, are you on Facebook? I hang there instead of on CruiseCritic these days in my online time. I miss reading your messages. I'm http://www.facebook.com/dbhark. We're planning our 2010 "holiday" now though and will likely take a European cruise, so hope to see you soon one way or the other.

Happy travels to all and Happy New Year,

Donna

• 1 month later...

I went there about 10 years ago. I am younger than you but disabled. I agree with what has been said, the steps are wide and there are areas where you can stop and look around, areas to step out. I don't remember it was very taxing although I was spending the night there and wasn't in a hurry. A cruise tour would probably go very quickly since Mt. S. M. is so far from the ports and they don't have a lot of time.

It is still well worth going even if you can't make it to the top. Much of the appeal of Mt St. Michel is seeing it from afar as you drive up to it, in my opinion. Even in the lower areas you can look around and see the charming buildings and restaurants. The top was interesting but I was more impressed seeing it from the outside.

If I were in your physical situation, heck if I were to go to there today I wouldn't make the climb to the top.

Archived