Gibbs Cay and Need to snorkel

hobbesl0l20

We are looking at the excusion to Gibbs Cay from Holland America in January. Is it a must to snorkel or can you see and experience enough by walking in the water? We would like to try snorkeling but if it doesn't work out we don't want to miss the entire experience.

We are looking at the excusion to Gibbs Cay from Holland America in January. Is it a must to snorkel or can you see and experience enough by walking in the water? We would like to try snorkeling but if it doesn't work out we don't want to miss the entire experience.

If you don't snorkle, it's not worth it. I am assuming they use the same company that Princess uses and the crew will help you and instruct you how to snorkle. It's a great opportunity to learn. Just approach the team on your boat and let them know that you will need a lesson. I thought the snorkeling there was pretty good. If there are "Reef & Ray" combo excursions, I would highly recommend that as well as they take you to the area where the stingrays are and you get to interact and touch and hug those creatures. But I do think this is a good opportunity for a beginner to learn to snorkle. Good luck.

Are you going on the Jan 10 sailing of the Westerdam? I am trying to decide if my family will be doing stingrays on Grand Turk or Grand Cayman. I thought I saw that Grand Cayman stingrays were there because they wanted to be and not fenced into that area. If that is correct then I will do stingrays in Grand Cayman and some other snorkeling on Grand Turk.

Are you going on the Jan 10 sailing of the Westerdam? I am trying to decide if my family will be doing stingrays on Grand Turk or Grand Cayman. I thought I saw that Grand Cayman stingrays were there because they wanted to be and not fenced into that area. If that is correct then I will do stingrays in Grand Cayman and some other snorkeling on Grand Turk.

No we are on the Noordamn Jan 4th sailing. It is our first cruise. Thanks for all the info and I think this might be a better choice than the private island tour.

Archived