Dont want to pack a jacket...what are you options for formal nights?

Enetric

Just wondering....what should I plan to do for dinner if I decide not to take a jacket. I can take a long sleeved shirt or two and a couple of ties....but will that get me into dinner these days? Traveling Splendor on Sunday coming up the 27th.

If they wont let me in...where do i go eat instead on the ship that night? How does it work? Or, if I just dont want to take a chance...where on board is NOT formal so I can eat anyway.

BTW....on another note...why do people book the steak restaurant? Is it for the ambiance? From what I read...you can just ask for a steak in the MDR if you dont like what's on the menu without the up charge for the restaurant. But maybe I have that wrong....

Thanks...

With everyone going so casual these days, you can certainly get away with a dress shirt and tie on formal nights. Many still dress up, but not as many as in the past.

If you want to skip the dining room on formal nights, you can eat in the buffet. They often times dress it up a bit at night with table cloths and such on many ships.

The supper club is usually booked because the food is just a bit better there. The presentation and selection is usually a bit more formal, and the quality is just a bit better. It is a more intimate and slightly romantic atmosphere.

Wearing a dress shirt and tie on Formal nights is perfectly acceptable and more than some do! It is nice when those sharing a table with you ( or vice versa ) show an effort to look nice on Formal Dinner evenings. You will not feel out of place in the least,...GO FOR IT!

The reason people book the specialty restaurants is because the quality is like nothing else you will get anywhere on the rest of the ship!

It is an excellent dining experience and I highly recommend it! We never eat less than twice in the Steak restaurant during our cruise. It is well worth the $30. I say, if you have not tried it, then jump in and you will not be disappointed. A good example is the Lobster Bisque. They also serve this in the dining room...but...the Specialty Restaurants Bisque is soooo much better! My recommendation is.....Go eat there early in your cruise because if you are anything like us, you will want to try it again before your trip is over!

Smiles, Connie

With everyone going so casual these days, you can certainly get away with a dress shirt and tie on formal nights. Many still dress up, but not as many as in the past.

If you want to skip the dining room on formal nights, you can eat in the buffet. They often times dress it up a bit at night with table cloths and such on many ships.Not on Carnival, and the food is nothing like the MDR.

The supper club is usually booked because the food is just a bit better there.The Steakhouse can be booked on line at Carnival.com or book when you board. No Problems getting a reservation. The food is better and service is outstanding. $30 per person. The presentation and selection is usually a bit more formal, and the quality is just a bit better. It is a more intimate and slightly romantic atmosphere.

Carnival does not require a Jacket or Tie for any meal. It is now called Elegant Night. Some still play dress up. Carnival has gone more casual, guess it was requested to be on comment cards.

Carnival does not require a Jacket or Tie for any meal. It is now called Elegant Night. Some still play dress up. Carnival has gone more casual, guess it was requested to be on comment cards.

I did notice that on the Capers for the "Cruise Elegant Night" they to state (Dress for party and evening is Cruise Elegant)...therefore, in my opinion they are still differentiating this evenings cruise attire to be somewhat different than all the other nights which are not "Cruise Elegant Night"

I guess what it boils down to ( and is the ongoing debate of these boards) is what some people consider Cruise Elegant? I still see people wear "nicer" clothing on these evenings in respect for the Elegant Evening that the ship is having!

Smiles, Connie

Although we usually always take formal wear, I have found that my best "secret weapon" is a dressy silk black Mock Turtleneck. A man dressed sharply in black can go nearly as far as formal wear...just my .02 :D

Although we usually always take formal wear, I have found that my best "secret weapon" is a dressy silk black Mock Turtleneck. A man dressed sharply in black can go nearly as far as formal wear...just my .02 :D

I agree...and a black dress shirt is where I am going too! I do not mind a tie. Truth be told...I do not mind wearing a suit. What I mind is PACKING a suit. I am a big guy...and my suits take up a lot of room in the garment bag. Not to mention weight for the airlines nonsense.

So If I can downsize the packing...it makes sense to me...leave the biggest item home. Wifey is little. My one suit is a few of her dresses...its nonsense. So? A tie...a jacket fine.

Truth be told...in warm weather...my most comfortable clothing is a nice pair of khaki/light beige shorts and a nice short sleeved buttoned sport shirt. Shoes with no socks...preferably a sandal type....that to me is vacation! I mean its not tee shirts and sports shorts...its casual....but not sloppy. Some places you need the closed shoe...OK...out come the boat shoes (top siders).

Do people wear these type of shorts and shoes to dinner on regular nights and look OK? Or should I just wear black slacks and dress shoes to dinner...go back to the room and into my shorts? Long pants wont kill me...i will be taking them...just wondering what to expect to see most wear from the guys on non formal/elegant nights.....

First of all, this is the actual Dress Code:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

So, technically any kind of dress shirt and pants is within the Dress Code for Cruise Elegant Night.

Polos are collared sports shirts, and therefore Casual Dining wear - not Elegant.;)

Besides that, if packing is really the issue and concern for guys, it's not that difficult to fit a jacket in your suitcase dudes:

I thought I would share this technique for packing a suit or just a jacket.

I've done this for years, and it saves so much space.

This is also for those people who are considering NOT packing a suit or tux - because they are concerned that garment bags are too big or bulky, etc.

With this technique, there is no packing reason to leave the suit behind.

This barely takes up any space, and retains the integrity of the suit's shape.

(I'm sure this would work for women's suits as well).

Click on this thumbnail, then on that page (to the right) where it says "Full size"

to get to a 5x7 printable size, in case you want to try the visual directions:

2418632550079337728IlbOCO_th.jpg

Here's one directly linked:

ab10c86a1e62d3adc11daace368c5ea1.jpg

Hope this helps someone in the future. Pass it on!

I agree...and a black dress shirt is where I am going too! I do not mind a tie. Truth be told...I do not mind wearing a suit. What I mind is PACKING a suit. I am a big guy...and my suits take up a lot of room in the garment bag. Not to mention weight for the airlines nonsense.

Well, you can see from my post above that it doesn't really take that much room in your suitcase to pack a jacket or a suit...

So If I can downsize the packing...it makes sense to me...leave the biggest item home. Wifey is little. My one suit is a few of her dresses...its nonsense. So? A tie...a jacket fine.

According to the Dress Code, even a dress shirt alone is fine. But think about what you and your wife would like to get as far as pictures and such for the Cruise Elegant Nights. Then if you want to dress up more, that's the reason to pack the jackets and take the pictures.

Truth be told...in warm weather...my most comfortable clothing is a nice pair of khaki/light beige shorts and a nice short sleeved buttoned sport shirt. Shoes with no socks...preferably a sandal type....that to me is vacation! I mean its not tee shirts and sports shorts...its casual....but not sloppy. Some places you need the closed shoe...OK...out come the boat shoes (top siders).

Do people wear these type of shorts and shoes to dinner on regular nights and look OK? Or should I just wear black slacks and dress shoes to dinner...go back to the room and into my shorts? Long pants wont kill me...i will be taking them...just wondering what to expect to see most wear from the guys on non formal/elegant nights.....

You'll be totally fine in what you describe.

Don't worry too much about what others are wearing, and if you are dressed to "fit in".

Just wear whatever you like personally, that falls within the Dress Code and you're good to go.

No one can tell you what people will be wearing on your particular cruise. That's Fortune Telling.

People can also tell you what they experienced on their particular cruise, but that is their one experience.

The truth is that each and every cruise, homeport, and sailing will have a different mix. Holiday times seem to be more dressy.

So, basically, you're fine with your plans so far. Read the dress code, you sound like you're fine as is...

Enjoy your cruise!:D

Cruise casual - no tux! On our last cruise earlier this month, I saw very few who were wearing a tux and even fewer wearing jackets and ties. We had 8 at our table; 2 of us wore jackets & ties; another, a dress shirt and tie; and the last, jeans, a dress shirt and no tie.

I believe these are the signs of the cruise casual attire. However, at the end of the day, as long as you are comfortable and the food is good - that's all that counts!

My DH doesn't even know about these boards - but if he did, he'd sound just like you! Threw me for a second:o

On the Valor last week, just about anything was acceptable for elegant night. I almost thing you could get away with a bathrobe and tie. No one from Carnival would notice (or care). :D

Just wear what's comfortable.

My DH has probably worn his last suit on a cruise. He'd prefer to go more casual, and that's o.k. with me. I'll probably forego the fancy dress and just go with slacks and top, next time. After some of the things I saw pass as "elegant" I'd be right about in the middle in an outfit like that.

The dress code, or lack thereof, didn't affect my dining experience in any way. The lobster was still salty and overcooked, the service was still lackluster, and the experience was still just o.k. If they stepped it up a notch in the MDR on elegant night, I might be willing to dress up a little more.

These days elegant night is really nothing more than an opportunity to have your picture taken while dressed up in fancy clothes. Everything else is exactly the same as on any other night. At least, that was our experience on the Valor.

Just an FYI for formal wear....there is a great Micro-Fiber tux avail that solves many of our packing issues. I swear you could break dance in it, roll it up in a ball, and then run over it with your car and it would still come out wrinkle-free. No, it's not worsted wool, but it certainly works for cruising and packing....and it's actually comfy too.

So if dh wears a nice shirt and jeans we will be turned away.

No, you won't be turned away. There will be others dressed the same. One of the gentlemen at our table was dressed in jeans and dress shirt. I even saw women with rubber flip flops on their feet (and that's supposed to be a definite no-no). Granted, many are dressed up in some manner, but elegant night is not what it used to be, nor is it what Carnival advertises it to be.

So if dh wears a nice shirt and jeans we will be turned away. We are sailing Victory on Sunday and this is what he planned on dressing up in on formal night.

By the book wearing the jeans will get him turned away. However in the real world of Carnival I do not think that will ever happen. Carnival does not have a formal night.

Jeans are not allowed on Elegant/Formal Nights.

Yes. They are allowed--at least on the Valor, they are. So are beach flip-flops, dress shorts, pretty much whatever a person wants to wear.

As another poster stated, there really is no longer an elegant/formal night. The only reason to get dressed up is to have your photo taken.

In answer to your steakhouse question I have several reasons.

1. Steak is usually better quality than MDR. While not Morton's/Ruth Criss' quality it is better than the MDR

2. You can pick your time to dine. We find early seating is in general too early, and late seating is much too late. Also works well for days when you are in port until 5pm

3. On longer cruises it is nice to "get away" from your tablemates. Mind you in 20+ cruises I only had one set of tablemates (on another cruiseline) that I was not particularly fond of. On longer cruises it is just nice to take a break for us to be by ourselves.

Yes. They are allowed--at least on the Valor, they are. So are beach flip-flops, dress shorts, pretty much whatever a person wants to wear.

As another poster stated, there really is no longer an elegant/formal night. The only reason to get dressed up is to have your photo taken.

Well, according to the policy and the capers, jeans are not allowed in the MDR on Elegant night. Whether this is enforced it up to the dining room staff on any particular ship.

bottom line you don't need a jacket for "elegant night"

shirt and tie is fine...long pants...good to go..enjoy..

don't let people tell you to "go to the buffet"...don't miss the lobster tail and prime rib

I am sure there will be others there less dressed up than you...enjoy :)

Archived