Brillance Med Question-Dubrovnik

Our documents indicate that in Dubrovnik is a tender port. Can anyone give us some info on how far the tender dock is from the part of town where you can "walk the walls"? Also, if it is not walkable from the dock does RCCL provide a shuttle to this area? We are trying to decide if it's easier to take one of their tours or do this on our own. Any help would be appreciated.

We sailed on the Brilliance 2 years ago in the Caribbean and loved it. Three months ago we sailed on HAL's Westerdam which docked at a suburb which is the port for Dubrovnic and which was just a few miles from the walled old town. I think it is too far to walk from the port to the old town. There were shuttles and taxis from the pier to the old town. There is a small fee to climb up to and walk the walls around the old town and there are lots of steps to climb, but the views are magnificent and the effort was well worth it. The town itself was very picturesque too and fun to browse the shops and town squares. The whole area is very pretty and made for a nice stop. I bought Euros from my bank before the trip to Europe and it made purchases easy, especially since ATM machines were sometimes hard to find in Europe and not always operating, and banks are not always open. Jim

Jim

Thanks for the information. Sounds like Dubovnik will be a great port to visit. Appreciate the info on ATM's too. We will keep that in mind. Just finished watching some travel videos on the places we will ge visiting and we are ready to go now!

We were in Dubrovnik this past summer off the wonderful Celebrity Millie, sorry d noit remember if we tendered or docked, however there were shuttles that took you close to the old town that you could walk the two blocks. We found there were ATM everywhere and the rate you get from your bank using your credit card is better than exchanging cash into Eurs, which by the way is not the currency of Dubrovnik. You can tour the city very easily on your own............enjoy

Hi Hobo,

We were on the Millennium in May when we visited Dubrovnik. We docked at a pier about 12 miles from the old town. The cruise line provided a shuttle to the gate of the old town, which is a beautiful old walled city. This turned out to be one of our favorite ports of call. There are no motor vehicles in the city, which is very clean and has many interesting shops and nice restaraunts. As the previous poster noted, the walk around the city walls is a great experience.

Peter

We were in Dubrovnik in Oct. of 2001 and did this stop on our own and it was very easy. We walked the wall and it was beautiful and it was also very inexpensive. The city is so clean and interesting. You will love it! It was one of our favorite ports. The gelato is good there.:) We got some before walking the wall and again after the walk. :D Have fun!

We were on the Brilliance cruise to Dubrovnik in September and we did not tender but rather docked. There were some ships that were tendered and they were in the harbour near the Old Town. These passengers would have tendered right into Old Town. From where we docked, we took the shuttle that was offered by RCL (I think it was $4.00 each). There were some passengers who walked to Old Town but it was quite a walk. When we were there it was quite hot and after a half day of walking the walls we were glad for an air conditioned bus.

I was on the Grandeur a few years ago in Dubrovnik we tendered in. I believe it was a very short walk into the walled old town. If the Brilliance is tendering than I would imagine the tender will bring you close. If she is docking then I would guess it would be further away. There is no dock near the old town but, an air conditioned shuttle does sound a bit better than a tender :) . Have a wonderful time. I had the most amazing day climbing the wall but it is a bit of a workout if you do. There also were a great number of artists out selling their works of the area. I have framed a few pieces. They are beautiful and tend to be more inexpensive than the work I purchased in Venice.

Archived