Question about Onboard Account

Erinchita

They will pre-authorize and it will hold your available funds. Not sure how much a day but initally I thought it was 70.00 per person.

$70 per person, per DAY? Yikes. This throws a wrench in my plans. Do they do this even if my account will already have a significant amount of onboard credit/gifts?

Yes, I got a sea miles master card and pay it off before the due date every month ,and earned a free cruise last year on the Destiny. All the purchases I make on the ship gets me double sea miles even the purchase of the cruise itself. I hope this helps Good luck and God Bless.

Craig and Sue

Just spoke to Princess and after a long wait for the correct answer, they advised that each day in the early hours of the morning, they pre-authorize the amount that you have spent in the previous 24 hour period. she said an initial amount is not pre-authorized on boarding. Wonder if I call back again, if the answer will change???

On RCL, I've always given a Credit Card for the onboard account, and on the last night switched it to the Debit Card just before settlement. Hopefully I can do this on Princess as well. The hold stays on the CC, and will eventually roll off with no problems, only the settlement debit (and its rewards, in my case airmiles) goes on the DC. It has worked well. I do this on long hotel stays, too.

Just spoke to Princess and after a long wait for the correct answer, they advised that each day in the early hours of the morning, they pre-authorize the amount that you have spent in the previous 24 hour period. she said an initial amount is not pre-authorized on boarding. Wonder if I call back again, if the answer will change???
Unlike other cruiselines (HAL comes to mind), they don't pre-authorize funds for your onboard account. The rep you spoke to might be correct but I wouldn't use a debit card without a lot more in the account than you plan to spend "just in case."

Archived