US VI snorkel question

dukemha

From what I've read, an excursion to Buck Island offers great snorkeling. The problem is, my ship docks in Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas) and trips to Buck Island all seem to leave from Christiansted (St. Croix). Would it be possible for me to make it to St. Croix for a trip to Buck Island during the time my ship will be in port (7 a.m. - 6 p.m.) or is there just not enough time? Secondly, if Buck Island isn't possible due to time and distance factors, is there a comparable snorkel trip that can be made out of St. Thomas given the time available? If there's nothing similar, I'm resigned to spending time at one of the beaches (Sapphire or Secret Harbor) snorkeling. I appreciate any feedback the board can offer.

From what I've read, an excursion to Buck Island offers great snorkeling. The problem is, my ship docks in Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas) and trips to Buck Island all seem to leave from Christiansted (St. Croix). Would it be possible for me to make it to St. Croix for a trip to Buck Island during the time my ship will be in port (7 a.m. - 6 p.m.) or is there just not enough time? Secondly, if Buck Island isn't possible due to time and distance factors, is there a comparable snorkel trip that can be made out of St. Thomas given the time available? If there's nothing similar, I'm resigned to spending time at one of the beaches (Sapphire or Secret Harbor) snorkeling. I appreciate any feedback the board can offer.

That's a whole nuther Buck Island. :p

There's a Buck Island near Charlotte Amalie.

beemerrider mentions Capt Nautica for Buck Island trips. He often contracts with the cruise line.

Contact him and ask if you can direct book with him. Here's his web site:

http://www.captainnautica.com/feedback.php

I snorkeled with Capt Nautica last year (viz is "usually" better):

Feb 3 – St Thomas: Ship’s snorkel with Capt Nautica . http://www.captainnautica.com/feedback.php

A high speed (35 knots) pontoon boat takes us to Buck Island. First stop is over freighter wreck,

visibility is very poor, few fish and less coral. Second stop is on lee side of island, Turtle Cove.

Visibility is much better. Did a swim-along with a turtle family, also Stingrays and a Barracuda.

Archived