Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

At first I said that neither is OK, but apparently shorts are OK now in the MDR on Mariner on casual nights. I guess it was a long time coming, but I think it was inevitable. Personally, it doesn't matter to me anymore. I would like to see the quality of the food increase. That is something I care about...GOOD FOOD!

Just a question...I have read that some people think of the dining room as a banquet hall with banquet style dinners. Would you consider wearing jeans or shorts to any form of a dinner that is held at banquet hall?

The question is not meant to insult anyone, so I apologize in advance if it seems that way. I am just curious.

Just a question...I have read that some people think of the dining room as a banquet hall with banquet style dinners. Would you consider wearing jeans or shorts to any form of a dinner that is held at banquet hall?

The question is not meant to insult anyone, so I apologize in advance if it seems that way. I am just curious.

Yes, if the invitation said 'casual dress' as is worded on RCCL. I would wear something like the outfit I posted above. High heels, dark rinse skinny jeans, dressy top and jacket.:) I wasn't insulted at all - it's a valid question.

Me too! Unless it was a banquet room in a nice hotel and the invitataion stated semi-formal or formal, I would wear heels, dark jeans and a cute top in the summer, heeled boots, dark jeans and a great blazer in the winter. That is how I would dress to go out to a nice restaurant in the Seattle area also if I was not wearing a dress. No one I know wears "slacks" except to work- I consider them business casual and not appropriate for dinner- for me!

NO JEANS - HATE THEM! What is this mania for denim? Jeans are for tilling the fields! NO...NO...NO! Thank goodness I seem to be in the majority, for once. I am so sick and tired of looking at jeans/dungarees/levis I can hardly stand it!

Wow! Majority:confused: ROFLMAO!!! What a joke.........

I wouldn't call the MDR a nice restaurant. The servers may be dress nicely and the tables are white clothes, but that's about the only thing it has in common with a nice restaurant... food from applebees or longhorn is of better quality...

It seems the difference of opinions is a generation issue... the old farts still think you gotta dress up... I can only think of 1 or 2 restaurants in Atlanta that won't let you in with jeans.... actually, only 1 because the other just shut down... wonder why :rolleyes:

I disagree with the notion the Applebees puts out a better plate than the MDR on any RCL ship on a consistent basis.

Applebees uses bagged salad for their tossed salad just for a start, yuck. And serves Pepsi at the bar, double yuck.

And in Manhattan there has to be at least 100 high class restaurants that require a jacket & tie.

Interesting how wearing jeans being okay is keeping a pretty good pace with those who think wearing jeans is not okay. Wanna make a bet the people who think it okay to wear jeans are a lot younger than those who think it inappropriate? ;)

Maybe not- I am 46. I am a professional. I dress professionally every day for work in dress pants, jackets, suits- BUSINESS CLOTHES. Since I wear this type of clothing every day, I do not want to wear it when I go out. I don't wear sequined tops or high heeled sandels to work but I do when I go out with JEANS because I consider this type of outfit dressier than my "work clothes". I don't think age is as important as what you are used to and what is worn in the area you live in. Maybe cruising is really as nice as a dining experience as some people ever get and they don't dress nicely in their everyday lives. They think their rayon pantsuit is "nice". Maybe they wear jeans to work and associate them with work clothes.

Maybe not- I am 46. I am a professional. I dress professionally every day for work in dress pants, jackets, suits- BUSINESS CLOTHES. Since I wear this type of clothing every day, I do not want to wear it when I go out. I don't wear sequined tops or high heeled sandels to work but I do when I go out with JEANS because I consider this type of outfit dressier than my "work clothes". I don't think age is as important as what you are used to and what is worn in the area you live in. Maybe cruising is really as nice as a dining experience as some people ever get and they don't dress nicely in their everyday lives. They think their rayon pantsuit is "nice". Maybe they wear jeans to work and associate them with work clothes.

A good post.People want to escape from work clothes on a cruise.I;m retired but back in the 70's when I climbed Telephone Poles for a living I wore my Levi's to work and Sassoon's(jeans) for play.Those against jeans among the men wear Docker type pants but Dockers also have jeans.The clothing debate will go on and on and will not be settled on this or any other board but for now RCCL allows them .I still do not understand how anyones cruise can be affected by someone wearing what they think is ugly jeans or ugly poly.As long as my wife is happy with what I wear( she wants me to wear my Tux once on formal nite) what anyone else thinks does not matter

:cj

I also would wear jeans, as I do in the MDR. It depends on where you are. In some places, it's totally acceptable. When I'm told that dress is formal, I wear formal dress.

I went to a wedding here at a "fancy" banquet hall and wore a black cocktail dress. I was the only person in a dress; most were wearing jeans, and quite a few had their Packers jerseys on. Probably one of the best weddings I've been to. I felt totally overdressed, but no one cared. It's not how a wedding in my hometown would play out, but it doesn't make it wrong. Same goes with the MDR.

However - I was torn as far as jeans. To me (and like everything else posted on this thread is an opinion) jeans are not considered business casual and that is how I interpret casual night.

Interestingly, I'm at work right now. Work dress code is business casual. And I am currently wearing jeans. So, it would seem that in some (many) instances, jeans ARE considered business casual.

Ok, I admit to only reading page one and then the last 4 pages but call me crazy - RCCL does NOT prohibit jeans in the dining room. By virtue of working in a fashion related industry, I'm going to wear my Blue Cults or 7's if I want to dang it - they are not dungarees or jeans I mow the yard in. (Although I don't mow, Mr Wolf does, but you get my point.) And now that I've made my point, I don't really wear jeans on a cruise - they're too heavy and I like wearing something lighter but there are no prohibitions against them and insulting people for wearing jeans is out of line - if RCCL does not prohibit it, why the insults? You can't force people to have common sense or good taste. There are some outfits that are MUCH worse than a pair of jeans - the scary bright yellow crinoline too short square dance dress I saw once on a lady of a certain age springs to mind. :eek: :eek:

Off topic to Lucky P - I dinged that other little personal attack on you today. Kudos to you for taking the high road and ignoring it.

Archived