Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

It used to be that way, but not anymore. Now it is just formal, or casual. At least on the FOS it is that way. so all nights not formal are casual.:)

Last cruise we were on (FEB '09) there were 3 formal nights and 2 smart casual nights. Rest were casual. This was on 14 night cruise.

Heres my 2 cents worth..we will be on the Radiance Oct.14,just packing shorts and jeans,so Ill be wearing jeans in dining room,except on formal night,we will eat elsewhere.Formal night should be...well formal. Thanks.

I wear my denim capris with nice shoes and a nice top and think they look fine, would like your opinion though?

http://www.bexpics.fotopic.net/p45570825.html (im the one in turquoise!)

http://www.bexpics.fotopic.net/p40321573.html

You look Great! But most of all you all look like you are having a great time!

Colleen

Colleen,

Thanks. I don't personally know anyone on these boards, except DW and Nick and Carole , my tablemates from last cruise, but I can tell who I would like to sit down and have dinner with by reading their posts and it certainly has NOTHING to do with their clothes. And it would be my pleasure to have you as a tablemate someday. As far as how stupid I am, if I saw saw saw someone else post three times in a row the same thing, I probably would have said "Is that person stupid or what"? But that was before yesterday, hopefully this doesn't show up three times since I'm back on the home computer.

Thanks Struther1, That is a sweet compliment. You made my day!

Have a great weekend,

Colleen

Nothing to do with clothing. But the Badgers are going to go alright. Go home with their tails between their legs. Mark it down ,this won't be close

Buckeyes 30 Badgers 10. But if I'm wrong I still think jeans and shorts are O.K. on casual nights.

I think the Buckeyes will win too...I was trying to throw out a peace flag...

I think jeans are ok too. I probably wouldn't wear shorts personally, but if they aren't Richard Simmons-esque, I don't care. :)

I think the Buckeyes will win too...I was trying to throw out a peace flag...

I think jeans are ok too. I probably wouldn't wear shorts personally, but if they aren't Richard Simmons-esque, I don't care. :)

Just so you no, I was only playing. I am not one of those hatfeful buckeye fans (that I have seen at many games). I always tell myself they will win but if they don't it's O.K. I can still go on a cruise and go to the MDR in shorts or jeans. Now if the Steelers lose thats another story. GO BLUE.

Thanks Struther1, That is a sweet compliment. You made my day!

Have a great weekend,

Colleen

Thank you for a your insights on here. If I am back Tuesday, it will have been a great weekend, I'm running another Half Marathon Sunday, then a day at a couples spa with DW on Monday If I survive my pedicure and facial I will be back Tuesday.

Thank you for a your insights on here. If I am back Tuesday, it will have been a great weekend, I'm running another Half Marathon Sunday, then a day at a couples spa with DW on Monday If I survive my pedicure and facial I will be back Tuesday.

Good luck in the Half Marathon! I know a lot of people doing them this weekend. I think you'll enjoy the pedi and facial. :)

Dress shorts that come to the knee with a matching top or a good looking blouse is better than some of these girls who wear a skin tight mini mini dress that barely covers what it should cover. But why all the fuss? Does what someone is wearing across the dinning room make your dinner less wonderful? Am how about growns with boobs almost falling out? I would rather not have my husband see that. You can't ask everyone to look like a million dollars. Let's just chill and enjoy our cruises.

Your question referred to "Casual Night". If I remember correctly, the only casual nights are the first night and the last night onboard.

The first night, the dress code is relaxed because some people may not have had a chance to unpack, and are wearing the same clothes they embarked with. On that night, shorts and jeans are permitted.

The second casual night is the last, when you need to have started packing to set your luggage outside the door.

The other nights are "Smart Casual" and "Formal" where shorts are definitely out.

It used to be that way, but not anymore. Now it is just formal, or casual. At least on the FOS it is that way. so all nights not formal are casual.:)

I don't think that it was ever that way. My experience, on a 7 nighter, is that there were two formals, one semi formal and four casuals. The semi formal then changed to smart casual. It seems to be hit and miss by ship regarding the smart casual or all casual. On our last cruise, a 15 nighter, there were three formals, three smart casual and the rest casual.

Cruised on Freedom of the Seas, Sept. 20th to the 27th....from the Cruise Compass for that week:

Day 1....Casual Attire

Day 2....Formal Attire

Day 3....Casual or 70's Attire

Day 4....Casual Attire

Day 5....Casual Attire

Day 6....Formal Attire

Day 7....Casual Attire

Day 3.....70's Attire, my thinking.....Jeans....:D

Heres my 2 cents worth..we will be on the Radiance Oct.14,just packing shorts and jeans,so Ill be wearing jeans in dining room,except on formal night,we will eat elsewhere.Formal night should be...well formal. Thanks.

Yea, I was thinking of only packing my Speed-o. And on the formal nights I'll eat elsewhere.;)

Cruised on Freedom of the Seas, Sept. 20th to the 27th....from the Cruise Compass for that week:

Day 1....Casual Attire

Day 2....Formal Attire

Day 3....Casual or 70's Attire

Day 4....Casual Attire

Day 5....Casual Attire

Day 6....Formal Attire

Day 7....Casual Attire

Day 3.....70's Attire, my thinking.....Jeans....:D

When I think of '70's fashion, I think Leisure Suits, mini shirts (early '70's), midi skirts (late '70's) and platform shoes.

Compass from a recent Radiance cruise.....Note (in the usual place) near bottom of page 1, In the Cascades Dining Room, Smart Casual Attire and the word Suggested does not appear.

http://www.doubletalking.com/Radiance%20Compass/Radiance%20to%20Cabo%20092509%20Compass%20Day%203.pdf

In the FWIW column, we just got off an RCI cruise and the "dress code" was clearly spelled out in a sign at the enterance to the main dining room. Essentially it stated no bare feet or bathing suits at any time, no tank tops or caps allowed at dinner. Shorts were NOT listed as forbidden at dinner and I did see a few men in shorts going into the main dining room for dinner.

It really appears that the suggested attire for dinner and reality are two very different things.

I took a picture of the sign. Here's the picture.

2519947400056845759S600x600Q85.jpg

Am how about growns with boobs almost falling out? I would rather not have my husband see that. You can't ask everyone to look like a million dollars. Let's just chill and enjoy our cruises.

DH thinks it's rude for me to stare. I have seen some new chandeliers placed in some haunted house, it was worth second look:D

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women - Quoted from RCL's website.

Jeans are not mentioned - so no jeans.

I believe the word "SUGGESTED" was used not "MANDATORY"...

Archived