Magic rumor info from my PVP

I just got off the phone with my PVP and we were talking about the magic near the end of our conversation. Nothing solid but from what he is hearing floating around the water cooler is SAN DIEGO . This makes sense as the elation is leaving OCT 2010 to replace the fantasy in mobile. There is no current replacement for the elation and the Spirit is only in San Diego 8 months of the year. Perhaps the Spirit will change to do the 4 and 5 day runs in San Diego in the fall of 2010?? The only other option I can think of if San Diego is correct are Hawaii runs from San Diego. Who knows for sure, I am sure an announcement will be coming by the end of this year

I think from the lack of bookings from the Splendor, it will not be likely that the "New" ship will sail from California. The Splendor has cabins selling for less than $450 for Spring break for 1A cabins and Spa rooms for less than $600 dollars per person. :confused:

I like California myself, because I use to live there. But financially it will not be good for Carnival to have 2 huge ship to fill.

p.s. Magic doesn't start sailing until at least Spring, 2011 and I suspect will do a season of European cruises.

Not necessarily, John Heald said that Carnival "may" go to to Europe in 2011.

Since the last two ships, Splendor and Dream, have gone in the summer

(Splendor) and into the fall the Magic will probably not be going in the spring. The weather in the spring is not the best in Europe. As of right now, nothing is set in stone. I wish Carnival would go to Europe, but right now, I am not counting on anything.

Magic is already IN Europe - that is where the ship is being constructed. It doesn't have to go anywhere. The ship launches in 2011.

Weather was BEAUTIFUL for Carnival Freedom in March, 2007. It gets too hot in the summer.

I had forgotten that the Freedom did indeed go to Europe, thank you for clarifying. I just wish with the economy doing much better, Carnival would go back to Europe in 2010. I do not care what ship it is, I just want to go back. I love to sail in September, much cooler and that is when our anniversary is.

I just got off the phone with my PVP and we were talking about the magic near the end of our conversation. Nothing solid but from what he is hearing floating around the water cooler is SAN DIEGO . This makes sense as the elation is leaving OCT 2010 to replace the fantasy in mobile. There is no current replacement for the elation and the Spirit is only in San Diego 8 months of the year. Perhaps the Spirit will change to do the 4 and 5 day runs in San Diego in the fall of 2010?? The only other option I can think of if San Diego is correct are Hawaii runs from San Diego. Who knows for sure, I am sure an announcement will be coming by the end of this year

The Elation will be in Mobile in May 2010.

Bill

I think from the lack of bookings from the Splendor, it will not be likely that the "New" ship will sail from California. The Splendor has cabins selling for less than $450 for Spring break for 1A cabins and Spa rooms for less than $600 dollars per person. :confused:

I like California myself, because I use to live there. But financially it will not be good for Carnival to have 2 huge ship to fill.

I have to agree with you. The low prices on the Splendor does not indicate the West coast will get a new ship.

I just got off the phone with my PVP and we were talking about the magic near the end of our conversation. Nothing solid but from what he is hearing floating around the water cooler is SAN DIEGO

No offense to San Diego, but I hope that this information is NOT correct!

As others have mentioned, the West Coast isn't really doing too well with 4 ships, I doubt that they would bring the newest, largest ship to San Diego....

according to 2 employees I spoke to in Long beach, both ships (Splendor & Paradise) sail full every week. They are allowed a free trip with their employment & (as of July) they were still waiting for an opening.

On the Splendor, we tried to move to a different cabin (we were between a family which booked the cabins on either side of us & shouted over the balconies to communicate), & all of them were booked, so you can't say that they aren't doing well in the summers.

according to 2 employees I spoke to in Long beach, both ships (Splendor & Paradise) sail full every week..

It is true that Carnival fills up their ships to +100% capacity every single week. They do it at pretty much every port they sail from.However, they do so with aggressive pricing when sales are weak. If they need to use aggressive pricing often, Carnival will look for a new home for that ship. (And that's why the Elation is gone from San Diego after trying different itinerary options, none which generated the profits that Carnival wanted).

That a ship is sailing at a 100% capacity consistently, doesn't mean that it's as profitable as Carnival wants it to be. They'll move a a ship wherever it can generate the most revenue...

Sorry, but no way are they putting a brand new ship on short runs. And I highly doubt they'd give the west coast 2 new ships when they're having a hard time filling the one they have.

I'm guessing (if this all happened) they'd move the SPIRIT to the shorter 3,4, and 5 day cruises out of San Diego and let the MAGIC do the 8-dayers to the lower Mexican Riviera, the cruises to Hawaii, and the summer Alaskan runs.

But, I do agree, California and its cruise market taking in Arizona and Nevada is really hurting financially and it has to be impacting the cruise business here. New home construction, my business, is virtually non-existent.:(A week ago I cruised SOLO on the SPLENDOR for $595 :eek:for everything and was upgraded to a 4A. Thanks, Carnival. :)

How about we throw another factor into the works? If Carnival is really going to reduce or eliminate a presence in Alaska, there will be a ship or two floating about. I suspect the Magic will go somewhere East Coast, but it is possible it may go to San Diego and Splendor back to Europe as it is ideally designed for the conditions over there. I like that ship as we did the TA on it.

Doc

I'm guessing (if this all happened) they'd move the SPIRIT to the shorter 3,4, and 5 day cruises out of San Diego and let the MAGIC do the 8-dayers to the lower Mexican Riviera, the cruises to Hawaii, and the summer Alaskan runs.

But, I do agree, California and its cruise market taking in Arizona and Nevada is really hurting financially and it has to be impacting the cruise business here. New home construction, my business, is virtually non-existent.:(A week ago I cruised SOLO on the SPLENDOR for $595 :eek:for everything and was upgraded to a 4A. Thanks, Carnival. :)

If the Magic comes to San Diego, I think they will still send the Spirit to Alaska. I think people like the small ship feel especially for Alaska. Also if the Magic is like the Dream it will not have a retractable room over the midship pool. The Spirit has one. Also the huge water park that is on the Magic will not get much use in Alaska.

The Spirit class are designed to sail at a faster speed than the big ships, unless you design the big ship like the Queen Mary 2. I don't think you'll see the Magic doing what the Spirit is currently doing, unless they stretch the days out.

If the Magic comes to San Diego, I think they will still send the Spirit to Alaska. I think people like the small ship feel especially for Alaska. Also if the Magic is like the Dream it will not have a retractable room over the midship pool. The Spirit has one. Also the huge water park that is on the Magic will not get much use in Alaska.

The Spirit class are designed to sail at a faster speed than the big ships, unless you design the big ship like the Queen Mary 2. I don't think you'll see the Magic doing what the Spirit is currently doing, unless they stretch the days out.

All excellent points.:) I wasn't aware that the SPIRIT was even faster than ships built AFTER her.:confused: I remember taking the ELATION on the Mexican Riviera and we had to leave Los Cabos, the last stop on the itinerary, much earlier than the PRIDE later on and now the SPLENDOR today, because the Fantasy-class ships weren't as fast. This in order to make it back to Long Beach on time.

However, when the SPIRIT goes to the lower Mexican Riviera there is plenty of time to shorten the stop at Acapulco, thus allowing the slower MAGIC to get there a little later than the SPIRIT does now. And leave the last stop, Manzanillo, a couple of hours earlier to allow for a slower trip home to Long Beach. UNLESS these new ships are real "snails" when it comes time to kick it in the butt ! ! :D

However, not having a retractable roof for the Lido deck and having a huge water slide, is definitely a negative for cruising to Alaska.:(

So then move the SPLENDOR to San Diego, doing the 8-dayers, etc. and have the MAGIC come to Long Beach and do the standard Mexican Riviera run.:D

Archived