best beach in belize?

finedme

We will be stopping in Belize in May and was just wondering if there are any NICE beaches that are easy to get to. We really don't want to book any kind of tour...just want to spend a few relaxing hours on a nice beach.

There are no beaches on the mainland. For any beaches you would have to go to a caye. Caye Caulker (45 min) has waterfront, but not really any beaches. Ambergris caye has beaches, (anywhere from 1 hour or more by water taxi, 20 min by plane). Coral Sands beach resort is nice, not sand though, fine coral beach. I don't know if the sand on Rendezvous and Goff's caye are sand or coral. (all those require tour groups). Belize requires a different mind set about tours I think. They offer adventure/ action. And doing anything or going anywhere will take time.

Information from a travel guide posted on another thread:

"Those coming to Belize expecting the wide white sandy beaches of Anguilla,

the British Virgin Islands or parts of Mexico’s Yucatán are likely to be

disappointed. The barrier reef all along the coast of Belize provides for rich

underwater life but also blocks the sand deposits of less-protected shores.

Seagrass is common off most beaches. Ambergris Caye has some small,

human-helped beaches, the small ribbons of sand at Hopkins/Sittee Point and

Placencia/Seine Bight/Maya Beach are pleasant, and several of the remote

cayes have postcard-style strips of sandy beach, but no beach in Belize would make the world’s top 100 list."

Su

• 4 weeks later...

Coral Sands beach resort is about a 10 minute boat ride directly from the ship , closer than the touris village actually. You can relax there or do some snorkeling or kayaking if you want. It is an organized tour but that seems the best way to get to a beach in Belize.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just at Coral Sands beach last week, and it was really beautiful. We booked a tour independtly with Belize Rays (www.belizerays.com) and I would definetly recommend it. They have hammocks, kayacks, a pay bar, and little mats you can float on in the ocean. The crew of the Angle Ray was very friendly. With this tour you can either spend the whole time at the beach or you can also go snorkelling. I highly recommend this excursion!

Have you checked out CoralBreeze? We booked for September 8, 2005 and can't wait. We are a family of 5, kids 16, 11, and 10 and we are going to get to snorkle at the reef, swim with sharks/rays, and then he is taking us to a really beautiful sandy beach at Caye Caulker. You should give them a try, I feel it is definitely the right choice for us. You get to do everything Belize has to offer in one day!:D

Archived