Fascination quick review...Half Moon Cay and Nassau

bguppies

Just got back yesterday from our 5 day cruise from Jacksonville to Half Moon Cay and Nassau...

Embarkation...arrived at 10:15am....parked immediately in lot 3 and went in.

3 wedding parties ahead of Platinums and then those of us in steerage.

Started boarding about 11:30 (late compared to 3 cruise out of Port Canaveral and 1 out of Fort Lauderdale.Found out why yesterday.)

Got onboard about noonish...

Excursion desk was already open, so jumped in line and booked our HMC cabana. (we were 6th out of 15 a few minutes after noon. All 15 were booked.)

Fascination....ship was in good shape. The public area restrooms showed the most age, as far as I could tell.

The in cabin TV left alot to be desired. No in cabin interactive TV (buy excursions, check sign and sail account in cabin, etc..)

No GPS tracking channel, exterior camera channels, etc.

The free in cabin movies were top notch though.

All were movies either just released this week on DVD (Wolverine, Watchmen) or not yet released on DVD. (Star Trek, The Proposal, New In Town, etc..)

Sadly we were unable to make our assigned dining time all trip. (until the last night, which by then we were, why bother)

We definitely can't wait until anytime dining is FINALLY implemenetd fleetwide.

Eating at a time that fits our schedule versus when Carnival sees fit to squeeze us in, is definitely much more important to us than "the traditional dining experience" hoo-hah.

Did try room service 3 times this trip and it was extremely fast each and every time.

Half Moon Cay was everything that I had read on these boards and more.

2nd best beach day we have ever had. (2nd only to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel)

The cabana is definitely worth the $225, for the mister fan, misters, mats, loungers, etc...

We got off the ship on the first tender with the crew and supplies.

Had most of the island to ourselves for about an hour or so...

Went back on one of the last couple of tenders.

In Nassau, we booked a day at Blue Lagoon. (one of Carnival's old excursions, until they whored themselves out to Atlantis)

Started with a Dolphin excursion at 9AM, then went to their wonderful beach area until a 2PM Sea Lion excursion.

We were able to do both encounters and use the beach for 4 hours for less than the cheapest Dolphin excursion at Atlantis would have cost us...

The staff at Blue Lagoon was wonderful, trying to give us hints as to where to go and what to see when they would see us walking about. (like a Dolphin swim is about to start, if you go here, you can have a great view in a fully shaded area, etc...)They were all extraordinarily friendly and helpful all day.

I would definitely recommend a day there to anyone.

(next time we will just do a beach day for $40 and watch any of the dolphin or sea lion encounters we want.)

Back onboard...

We tried some trivia games, towel animals, bingo, etc...

The cruise director was the worst we have seen yet. (Felipe I think was his name)

Just irritated me everytime I had to watch or listen to him. (luckily, he did very little throughout the cruise)

Thankfully he had a larger than normal entertainment staff, who were all great.

Debarkation was by far the worst we have had in 5 cruises and 3 ports..

(Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale were both top notch)

They called the first deck for self debarkation at 8AM.

It then took almost 30 minutes to call a 2nd deck. (20-30 minutes per deck after that)

They didn't begin calling any number tags until after 9:30AM and then they called 1-10 simultaneously, which caused a huge logjam getting down to deck 3.

Once off the ship, things ran smoothly in the terminal itself.

Very fast and professional there.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head....

Have every capers from the week if anyone has any specific questions.

Please ask.

Bill

is it possible to pdf the highlights on the capers? Thanks.

I am gathering the weather was pretty warm , I haven't research about the HMC cabanas on board, Wondering if nice to have on a mid nov cruise on fascination?

Do you have the Capers from your 9/19 Fascination Cruise??

Just got back yesterday from our 5 day cruise from Jacksonville to Half Moon Cay and Nassau...

Embarkation...arrived at 10:15am....parked immediately in lot 3 and went in.

3 wedding parties ahead of Platinums and then those of us in steerage.

Started boarding about 11:30 (late compared to 3 cruise out of Port Canaveral and 1 out of Fort Lauderdale.Found out why yesterday.)

Got onboard about noonish...

Excursion desk was already open, so jumped in line and booked our HMC cabana. (we were 6th out of 15 a few minutes after noon. All 15 were booked.)

Fascination....ship was in good shape. The public area restrooms showed the most age, as far as I could tell.

The in cabin TV left alot to be desired. No in cabin interactive TV (buy excursions, check sign and sail account in cabin, etc..)

No GPS tracking channel, exterior camera channels, etc.

The free in cabin movies were top notch though.

All were movies either just released this week on DVD (Wolverine, Watchmen) or not yet released on DVD. (Star Trek, The Proposal, New In Town, etc..)

Sadly we were unable to make our assigned dining time all trip. (until the last night, which by then we were, why bother)

We definitely can't wait until anytime dining is FINALLY implemenetd fleetwide.

Eating at a time that fits our schedule versus when Carnival sees fit to squeeze us in, is definitely much more important to us than "the traditional dining experience" hoo-hah.

Did try room service 3 times this trip and it was extremely fast each and every time.

Half Moon Cay was everything that I had read on these boards and more.

2nd best beach day we have ever had. (2nd only to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel)

The cabana is definitely worth the $225, for the mister fan, misters, mats, loungers, etc...

We got off the ship on the first tender with the crew and supplies.

Had most of the island to ourselves for about an hour or so...

Went back on one of the last couple of tenders.

In Nassau, we booked a day at Blue Lagoon. (one of Carnival's old excursions, until they whored themselves out to Atlantis)

Started with a Dolphin excursion at 9AM, then went to their wonderful beach area until a 2PM Sea Lion excursion.

We were able to do both encounters and use the beach for 4 hours for less than the cheapest Dolphin excursion at Atlantis would have cost us...

The staff at Blue Lagoon was wonderful, trying to give us hints as to where to go and what to see when they would see us walking about. (like a Dolphin swim is about to start, if you go here, you can have a great view in a fully shaded area, etc...)They were all extraordinarily friendly and helpful all day.

I would definitely recommend a day there to anyone.

(next time we will just do a beach day for $40 and watch any of the dolphin or sea lion encounters we want.)

Back onboard...

We tried some trivia games, towel animals, bingo, etc...

The cruise director was the worst we have seen yet. (Felipe I think was his name)

Just irritated me everytime I had to watch or listen to him. (luckily, he did very little throughout the cruise)

Thankfully he had a larger than normal entertainment staff, who were all great.

Debarkation was by far the worst we have had in 5 cruises and 3 ports..

(Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale were both top notch)

They called the first deck for self debarkation at 8AM.

It then took almost 30 minutes to call a 2nd deck. (20-30 minutes per deck after that)

They didn't begin calling any number tags until after 9:30AM and then they called 1-10 simultaneously, which caused a huge logjam getting down to deck 3.

Once off the ship, things ran smoothly in the terminal itself.

Very fast and professional there.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head....

Have every capers from the week if anyone has any specific questions.

Please ask.

Bill

Also for the Platinum cruisers who have been complaining about help at the Purser's desk....

Everytime I passed or stopped at the desk, the entire cruise, they had 2 lines for the steerage folks and 1 dedicated line, with it's own purser, for the Platinum cruisers.

So at least the Fascination apparently gets it's importance.

Bill

Is there a tea time on fascination?

not related - do they have the free steam and sauna rooms?

Thanks

Yes there is Tea time@3p.m.

W/Sharon she is good.....

She plays the piano....

And the steam & sauna rooms I am

guessing are free.....

I met HoneyCruiser on the Cruise and

she did not say anything about

a cost,,,,,,she went to both...

Could you tell me what activities are going on between 9am-10am on Sunday morning? Trying to set up a Meet & Greet at that time. Thanks!

:cool:Bill

Okay.....

I looked at the Sunday Caper-9/20/09

between 9 & 10a.m...

GIFT Shops opens

Pilates Class

Slots open

Photo Galiery

Shore Excursion desk opens.

And I am going to guess alot

of people will still be in their cabins sleeping

and some will be having

breakfast out by the pool...........

or in the Dining room......

We took this same cruise, and I posted a review as well, back on September 5th. I loved HMC! I am jealous you were able to spend the extra hour on the beach, but I just could not afford to fork over all the extra on top of everything else we were spending left and right!

I agree with dinner, we made it one night and that was it.

I have to say though, I loved Felipe! I thought he was great and I think he added to the shows we did see, but I can also see why some would find him irritating as well!

Nice Meeting you at karoke. Enjoy your future cruises. I wish I can cruise as much.

Yes,,,,,,,

It was nice meeting you......

It was loud there,and I didn't

hear what you said your screen

name was here at Cruise Critic.......

You did a good job singing.........

I usually only do one BTB a year..

Jan-09 was a late Christmas gift to me from me..

I wanted to Cruise for my Bday this year...

The Holiday is a great deal..............

Could you tell me what activities are going on between 9am-10am on Sunday morning? Trying to set up a Meet & Greet at that time. Thanks!

:cool:Bill

Scavenger Hunt at 9:30am on Lido deck

Library open at 10AM

General Trivia in the Palace show lounge at 10AM

Bag-O at 10:30 AM on Lido

$500 Bingo at 10:30AM in the Palace lounge.

We took this same cruise, and I posted a review as well, back on September 5th. I loved HMC! I am jealous you were able to spend the extra hour on the beach, but I just could not afford to fork over all the extra on top of everything else we were spending left and right!

I agree with dinner, we made it one night and that was it.

I have to say though, I loved Felipe! I thought he was great and I think he added to the shows we did see, but I can also see why some would find him irritating as well!

With Felipe, I think the thing that got under my skin, was the fact that he is one of those people, who cracks himself up, no matter how bad his joke might be.

His thick accent made listening to him somewhat of a chore also.

As for the cabanas, after having read rave reviews for a couple of years in here and my DW being a huge beach day lover, I just budgeted for the $225 as part of the cruise cost. Turned out to be well worth the money.

(besides getting to debark with the crew on the first tender)

Bill

Hi Bill,

I see you've cruised on Conquest ships too. We are looking at possibly going on the Fascination in March. We have only cruised CCL Conquest ships (Liberty, Glory, Valor and Freedom). Do you think we will be disappointed with sailing on a Fantasy class ship? You mentioned the tv's didn't have the dinner menus or interactive menus to order excursions. Also, I saw someone else's picture of their bathroom (I think it was an aft oceanview). The sink area looked tiny, like only just a sink and no counter space. Was that the case with your cabin too?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions! :D

Hi Bill,

I see you've cruised on Conquest ships too. We are looking at possibly going on the Fascination in March. We have only cruised CCL Conquest ships (Liberty, Glory, Valor and Freedom). Do you think we will be disappointed with sailing on a Fantasy class ship? You mentioned the tv's didn't have the dinner menus or interactive menus to order excursions. Also, I saw someone else's picture of their bathroom (I think it was an aft oceanview). The sink area looked tiny, like only just a sink and no counter space. Was that the case with your cabin too?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions! :D

Yeah, the bathrooms do have less counter space than the Conquest class. (we bring an over the door, shoe holder, that we hang on the back of the bathroom door and put all of our shampoos, razors, etc... in the shoe slots to make up for the lesser counter space of the fantasy class)

The space in the shower is actually larger on the fantasy class. (I'm a big guy and I was amazed that I never had the curtain hanging on me every time I turned around, like I did on our Glory and Freedom cruises.)

We enjoy the smaller Fantasy class for the simpler layout and better flow than the Conquest class. And it always seems to be less crowded in any line on the Fantasy class than on either of our Conquest class cruises.

After the refurbs, the fantasy class competes well with the Conquest, as the cabins are virtually idnetical and all have the exact same LCD screens now.

We don't spend much if any time in the pools or on waterslides, so we don't even notice the differences in those from ship to ship.

I know half the fantasy class has had upgrades to the pool and slide areas, so you would have to ensure your chosen ship has, if that is important to you.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Bill

Yeah, the bathrooms do have less counter space than the Conquest class. (we bring an over the door, shoe holder, that we hang on the back of the bathroom door and put all of our shampoos, razors, etc... in the shoe slots to make up for the lesser counter space of the fantasy class)

Thanks for the info! Now I realize why people are always talking about bringing one of those over the door organizers with them. I could never figure out why one would need that with all the counter space I always encountered on the conquest class ships. Now it makes sense! :)

Thanks for the info! Now I realize why people are always talking about bringing one of those over the door organizers with them. I could never figure out why one would need that with all the counter space I always encountered on the conquest class ships. Now it makes sense! :)

We used one on our first 2 Sensation cruises, then when we got on the Glory, it just stayed in the luggage.

Luckily I remembered to pack it for this cruise.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Archived