Spirit out of NOLA questions

Cinderose

We will be on the Spirit Feb 7th at the start and middle of Mardi Gras in New Orleans my questions are....

1. How is the airport during Mardi Gras time? Trouble getting taxis?

2. We have a private early excursion lined up in Belize - they emailed me a letter to get off the ship early - will the ship accept the letter?

3. Has anyone ever done the all inclusive Mr Sanchos in Cozumel? What is the cost of a taxi ride there?

4. Is it really rocky on the spirit on deck 11 during that time of year at sea? I hear you feel it while going down the Mississippi River until you hit the Gulf - will it be better after that?

THANKS!!!

about tendering in belize:

no, they won't except your letter, if they did they would have a riot with a 1,000 other passengers who book independently. all the independent vendors tell their customers to get on the 1st tender, know it usually doesn't happen. VIPs and suite passengers go 1st, NCL excursions go 2nd, early ticket holds can make the 1st tender if there is space. the tenders hold 150 people and are lined up and waiting for their turn at the gangway. if anyone in your party is in a suite, talk to the conciegne..otherwise, get down to the lobby early (times and place will be in the daily the night before...1 person can get all tender tickets for the whole party)

belize is tough, with the tendering and all excurions being all-day trips.

taxis have listed fares, i know for nachi cocom the rate was $15 for the 2 of us.

how rocky the gulf will be depends on your weather during that time. we did mid-december and the gulf was so smooth if was flat. yes, you can feel the sway as the ship goes down the mississippi and you feel the "bump" when you hit the gulf.

have you checked out the port-of-calls boards for your ports?

We will be on the Spirit Feb 7th at the start and middle of Mardi Gras in New Orleans my questions are....

2. We have a private early excursion lined up in Belize - they emailed me a letter to get off the ship early - will the ship accept the letter?

3. Has anyone ever done the all inclusive Mr Sanchos in Cozumel? What is the cost of a taxi ride there?

4. Is it really rocky on the spirit on deck 11 during that time of year at sea? I hear you feel it while going down the Mississippi River until you hit the Gulf - will it be better after that?

THANKS!!!

1. We had no trouble at the airport last February during Mardi Gras. Taxis are another story!! It is all but impossible to get a taxi right downtown (Bourbon St. area). We needed to get a taxi from downtown out to our hotel by the airport...it took almost two hours to find a taxi, and then they charged us $40.00:eek:

2. I know that the excursions booked through the cruise get first priority if it's a tender port...and honestly I don't remember if we just got off or needed a tender.

3. Can't help with this one.

4. Our cabin was on deck 6 and we didn't feel any movement. We did spend time up on the deck near the Bier Garden and that wasn't a problem.

Have a great time. We loved the Spirit!

-Joanne

As far as the independent Belize excursion, they will wait for the first two or three tenders before departing on their tour. They know the cruise line system, and are aware of which tender is pulling into port and have delivered their customers.

However, they do want you to get ashore as fast as you can, hopefully with the first or second tender, and not delay them an hour while you take your very sweet time....

THANKS!!!

Haven't done Mr Sanchos, but did Nachi Cocom which is next door and would recommend it. It costs a bit more but limits the number of people there, has great food and drinks, you get your own Palapa. Was very relaxing. Kids might like a more bustling beach with big inflatibles in the water, but Adults would like Nachi...

Here is a thread with some Nachi cocom info from the ports of call/caribbean/cozumel forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1005584

THANKS!!!

I can't answer all your questions but I will do what I can: The ship should be fine as soon as you get out of the Mississippi River area, it might not even be bad before that.

Don't know about Mr SAnchos

First allowed off the ship will be those who booked through the cruiseline, next suite guests and gold latitude members. After they have tendered others will have a chance to get tickets, talk to the reception desk a day ahead of time. They might be able to advise you. I will add, the tour companies normally wait for a few tenders before leaving.

As for mid of Mardi Gras, I am sure there will be plenty of taxies.

Nita

Archived