Galveston, Mardi Gras, and Hotel Galvez

travelingtriumphess

I'm a first time cruiser and I've never been to Galveston (two firsts). I arranged for a cruise sailing out of Galveston. Unfortunately I won't have too much time to do anything. We are staying at Hotel Galvez the night before cruise, arriving in the late afternoon.

1)Is this a nice hotel? Is it nearby anything? We won't have much time, but is there anything within walking distance?

2)We happen to be arriving in Galveston on Valentine's day and during Mardi Gras. Is there anything we should know about? Before this, I didn't even know Galveston celebrated Mardi Gras. I thought only New Orleans did. :D So, should I get beads or something? I come from Colorado and we really don't "do" Mardi Gras.

Thank You

:cool:

TT :)

I'm a first time cruiser and I've never been to Galveston (two firsts). I arranged for a cruise sailing out of Galveston. Unfortunately I won't have too much time to do anything. We are staying at Hotel Galvez the night before cruise, arriving in the late afternoon.

1)Is this a nice hotel? Is it nearby anything? We won't have much time, but is there anything within walking distance?

2)We happen to be arriving in Galveston on Valentine's day and during Mardi Gras. Is there anything we should know about? Before this, I didn't even know Galveston celebrated Mardi Gras. I thought only New Orleans did. :D So, should I get beads or something? I come from Colorado and we really don't "do" Mardi Gras.

Thank You

:cool:

TT :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a nice hotel?

Yes a great beautiful historical hotel!

Is there anything within walking distance?

Yes the Seawall with walkway, the beach and couple of bars and resturants

For a drink that Sunday night

See map below

Go to Tiki Bar at Holiday Inn Sunspree (fairly close)

Go to San Luis Resort - Pool Bar or Club inside (cab best)

Go to Spot (probably could walk but cab best)

Galveston Fun Map

A 35 x 11 inch, full-color, reliable caricature map that shows you everything fun to see and do, and the shortest route to get there!

Galveston Fun Map

Click on image of map!!!!!!!

Mardi Gras events are all over town Friday and Saturday

We will be wore out and recovering Sunday :D

http://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/

There are several nice places to walk to close to the Galvez. The MG ceremony is nothing to worry about. You can recieve beads from the floats if you wish. This was Fun the last one we attended, not the usual drunken brawls, that are on tv. JY.

Archived