Need an Answer

sagiv666

On October 18, my wife and I are cruising to Bermuda on the Norwegian Dawn. When we cruise, we try to get cabins at the center of the ship, for less rocking in rough seas. This time, we are assigned a balcony cabin toward the aft. Will the weight of the Dawn's engines (10 decks below us) help stabilize this part of the ship in rough weather?

On October 18, my wife and I are cruising to Bermuda on the Norwegian Dawn. When we cruise, we try to get cabins at the center of the ship, for less rocking in rough seas. This time, we are assigned a balcony cabin toward the aft. Will the weight of the Dawn's engines (10 decks below us) help stabilize this part of the ship in rough weather?

no it will not

1. the engines are more forward.

2. in rough weather what stabilizes the ship roll(side to side movement) are the stabilizers- computer controlled wings that come out of the sides of the ship.

3. in rough weather the pitch of the ship(the up and down movement) depends more on the wave frequency than anything else.

The lower center rooms are better. All the balcony cabins are high on the ship. No matter what you do they will have more movement than a lower center room.

no it will not

1. the engines are more forward.

2. in rough weather what stabilizes the ship roll(side to side movement) are the stabilizers- computer controlled wings that come out of the sides of the ship.

3. in rough weather the pitch of the ship(the up and down movement) depends more on the wave frequency than anything else.

The lower center rooms are better. All the balcony cabins are high on the ship. No matter what you do they will have more movement than a lower center room.

This is correct, we were on the Spirit on Deck 10 forward and there was a lot of movement returning from Bermuda on the Sept. 11-18 cruise.

I should have added that the up and down movement(pitch) depends on the wave size and frequency not frequency alone....

Large ships tend to weather heavy weather better than smaller ones. I have been on the Dawn 3 times and other Dawn class ships many times, they are pretty steady but what I consider steady you may consider a roll a coaster...its all in your stomach anyway.

Large ships tend to weather heavy weather better than smaller ones. I have been on the Dawn 3 times and other Dawn class ships many times, they are pretty steady but what I consider steady you may consider a roll a coaster...its all in your stomach anyway.

Then it's out of your stomach.:D

This is correct, we were on the Spirit on Deck 10 forward and there was a lot of movement returning from Bermuda on the Sept. 11-18 cruise.

I was on the Spirit, for 13 days. Deck 9, adjacent to the forward elevators. Except for one day when we went through a storm, I did not notice any movement at all. It might just be me, but I found it quite stable where my cabin was. Even though it was way forward.

Rich

We're aft on October 18th also! I've only been on the stern once and that was last May. I thought we had very smooth sailing, but my two friends seemed to feel more motion. They weren't sick, but they did mention the motion quite a few times when I didn't notice it at all.

We have a roll call at the link below, and will have a CC Meet & Greet if you want to join us.

Jackie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=778943&page=9

Archived