Kauai Rental Car Pick up Code

sprout76

Okay...just wanted to hear from some of you out there who have rented a car in Kauai.

When I enter the code (LIH) it gives you two choices...airport or cruise ship. Of course now I'm intrigued because they give me a choice. I priced them both for the same car type...the airport shuttle price was $38 and the cruise shuttle price was $90!!!

After posting a couple of questions and hijacking someone elses thread (sorry Ordellian)...I thought that I would create my own thread here to see if anyone has ever put in the airport code for the rental car and had no problem getting the shuttle to take them to pick up the car. We're using Thrifty...although wouldn't be opposed to changing if that would be a better scenario.

I just can't see paying an extra $50 for what I"m told isn't that much more of a trip!! Have even considered just getting a taxi to take me to the rental place since I'm sure a taxi would cost less than $50...and as someone has pointed out...may get me there quicker.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Wow. A $50/day surcharge for the company to shuttle passengers the 3 or so miles from the pier to the airport rental location? What a ripoff! Customers arriving by air are shuttled from check in counters at the arrival area to the cars, which is a few hundred yards and which is a standard courtesy. IMO, it's reasonable for cruise passengers to pay a small (repeat: small) surcharge for the service. I can see an extra$5-$10 per rental because it does require vehicles, personnel, some fuel, insurance, etc. to shuttle between the pier and airport. But $50 is ridiculous. For less than $15, we'd take a darn taxi if necessary.

beachchick

We are on the POA Oct. 24. I have booked our cars for all the islands thru www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. On their website it states that Thrifty has shuttle pick-up from the harbours that are listed. They have a number you can call to book also. 1-800-367-5238 and use rate code HT14004118. I am going to call them and ask about the shuttles. Only 23 more days!!

It is crazy right?? I too booked through discounthawaiicarrental (which automatically led me to Thrifty). Out of shear curiosity is why I went and priced both...and had that crazy result.

Another CC member (angiejoan) is sailing on the 17th of October...and she actually called the LIH location and spoke to a gentleman named Scott...who couldn't explain the reason at all. But, said that the shuttle was a free service and that he thought it was some kind of marketing ploy?? He did say just to have the reservation confirmation code but that their drivers normally don't check.

I agree with beachchick...I don't mind paying a little something for the shuttle to get me to the car, but $50 was a bit crazy IMHO.

So...beachlady60 let me know how it goes for you. When you booked did it give you an option? Angijoan said it didn't give her one and she could only choose the airport (obviously the only difference is the shuttle has to pick people up at the pier and take them to the airport).

Thanks everyone...appreciate the input

It is crazy right?? I too booked through discounthawaiicarrental (which automatically led me to Thrifty). Out of shear curiosity is why I went and priced both...and had that crazy result.

Another CC member (angiejoan) is sailing on the 17th of October...and she actually called the LIH location and spoke to a gentleman named Scott...who couldn't explain the reason at all. But, said that the shuttle was a free service and that he thought it was some kind of marketing ploy?? He did say just to have the reservation confirmation code but that their drivers normally don't check.

I agree with beachchick...I don't mind paying a little something for the shuttle to get me to the car, but $50 was a bit crazy IMHO.

So...beachlady60 let me know how it goes for you. When you booked did it give you an option? Angijoan said it didn't give her one and she could only choose the airport (obviously the only difference is the shuttle has to pick people up at the pier and take them to the airport).

Thanks everyone...appreciate the input

I couldn't remember if I got an option or not so I tried it again and got the same as you. Its crazy. I'm going to look at alamo. I called them and they have free pier pickup. I'm a worrywort so I have to be sure that everything is right-don't want any surprises. Guess I'm a little crazy too. Thanks everyone for you help.

Archived