Cruising after surgery?

sw1828

Has anyone ever cruised after having major surgery? Someone in my group is having major surgery 3 weeks before we sail. I was just wondering what issues we may encounter onboard that we need to be aware of. Thanks!

Generally one is still under medical care even 3 weeks after any major surgery. Will their doctor even release them from medical care prior to go on the cruise ? They need to consult with their doctor. Remember the ship infirmary is not equiped to handle anything other than sea sickness, a bandaid, aspirn . In other words no major medical emergencies. Anything else will require them to be airlifted ( if at sea ) or transported ( if in port ) to the closest hospital.

Though I personally have never traveled after major surgery, my best freind has. She was not release to travel until at least 3 months after the surgery. Timing of medical release is also dependent on the type of surgery and post surgical care required.

Edited by xxoocruiser

This is something your friend will have to discuss with their physician. The doctor may not release them to cruise. If it were me, I'm not sure I would go as there are complications that could happen. And if this were anything cardiac related, I definitely wouldn't even consider going. Just realize that cruise ships are not equipped to handle serious emergencies. I hope your friend has insurance and medical evacuation coverage. A 1/2 hour flight to get my mom off a ship and back to the US after she broke her hip, was $9000.

Has anyone ever cruised after having major surgery? Someone in my group is having major surgery 3 weeks before we sail. I was just wondering what issues we may encounter onboard that we need to be aware of. Thanks!

My doctor won't even let me drive for 6 weeks after major surgery much less travel. After my last surgery, after I was discharged from the hospital, I ended up with a hospital aquired bacterial infection. I ended up having to go to my primary care physician for tests and then treatment.

Another thing to consider is that your immune system is way down after surgery. A cruise ship, with all those people on board, is just a hot bed of germs. Norovirus is the main one and could really be bad for someone post op.

I agree it is MUCH too soon after any surgery, but saying the cruiseline can only handled sea sickness and handing out asprin does them a dis-service. They can handle some mid to major emergencies when needed. But they are certainly not a hospital AND everything the do, do costs three times as much and must be paid before you leave the ship.

Don't cruise 3 wks after surgery.

I agree it is MUCH too soon after any surgery, but saying the cruiseline can only handled sea sickness and handing out asprin does them a dis-service. They can handle some mid to major emergencies when needed. But they are certainly not a hospital AND everything the do, do costs three times as much and must be paid before you leave the ship.

Don't cruise 3 wks after surgery.

I agree that they can do more than handle sea sickness, etc but I would be reluctant to have them handle post op complications from my joint replacement surgeries. After my first hip replacement I fell and dislocated the prothesis. I would not expect a cruise ship doctor to be experienced in reducing a dislocation of a prostetic hip. It is different from a normal dislocation.

It all depends of what kind of surgery she is having. If it is a something like Orthoscopic Knee surgery, then she should be fine to go cruing, in fact basically any surgery done by a laproscope she should be fine to travel. As a retired R.N. I would say that anything that only required short stay in the hospital (24 hours or less) they should be fine to cruise, but SHE SHOULD STILL ASK HER PHYSICIAN AND GET HIS OPINION BEFORE SHE SAILS.

• 5 years later...