Buenos Aires - getting from port to hotel

pacheco18

Larraine (if it is you who is asking),

See the info on taxis at the BA port here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1064316

The distance from port to Marriott is about a 10 min or less cab ride. The proper metered fare should be no more than 15 pesos, less than USD 5. You need not book in advance, but I would be careful about using the cabs waiting at the pier as they will try to charge you several times the proper metered fare. If they quote you a decent price ( not more than 25 pesos which is about double), then maybe, but be sure it is not a trick like per person or not including an additional stiff per suitcase charge. In other words make sure the price is inclusive.

I strongly suggest you call one of the radio cab companies listed in my post in the link above. Two taxis " familiar " or "camionetas" ought to be adequate for 6 people with lots of luggage.

Hello,

I would contact the Marriott as they may work with a company that will provide this service for you at a reasonable price. We stayed at the Buenos Aires Hilton, which is a truly nice hotel. It was about a 15 minute ride to the cruise terminal from the hotel and I paid (in April of 2009) 25 pesos which is about $6.00.

If you must use a taxi at the cruise terminal the fares are posted in a big sign. These fares are higher than outside the terminal but you are not going to be in a position to go outside the cruise terminal and flag down a taxi/van. Although it is not the best solution, vans will be available at the cruise terminal. Make sure that they know you are going to the Marriott and get a firm price.

However, do not worry about this as the hotel is close to the cruise terminal and your being overcharged by a large amount probably won't happen. You will be overcharged but not by an amount that will be bothersome or break your budget.

As for luggage, remove about half of it.

Hello,

If you must use a taxi at the cruise terminal the fares are posted in a big sign. These fares are higher than outside the terminal but you are not going to be in a position to go outside the cruise terminal and flag down a taxi/van. Although it is not the best solution, vans will be available at the cruise terminal.

However, do not worry about this as the hotel is close to the cruise terminal and your being overcharged by a large amount probably won't happen. You will be overcharged but not by an amount that will be bothersome or break your budget.

For me it´s not a question of money. I have a strong dislike of dealing with corrupt people and that is what these taxi drivers at the pier are and why I write to reiterate good alternatives to using them. Maybe one day they will change their illegal tactics.

The fact of the matter is that you can walk away from the pier passenger exit onto the adjoining street (only about 25 meters) to hail a cab. The pier "fleet" can´t prevent any other car from stopping on the street even though they will give any driver pulling right into the passenger loading zone a hard time.

Not everyone would be comfortable walking to the curb of the adjoining street either because their luggage is unwieldy even for short distances or they may not be savvy enough to hail only a perfectly safe radio cab on the street. In that case you can easily call a radio cab from the terminal. The biggest radio cab companies in BA are:

Radio Taxi del Plata 4504-7776, 4505-1111

Radio Taxi Pidalo 4932-2222, 4956-1200

Radio Taxi Premium 5238-0000, 4374-6666

A cab will arrive in less than 5 minutes and as you have called it the thugs at the pier will not be able to prevent it from pulling into the loading zone. Ask for a camionetta or taxi familiar which are the bigger SUV type vehicles. They hold a LOT of luggage. If you can´t speak enough Spanish to get across, then ask a local or other for assistance in making the call.

Hello,

When we were in Buenos Aires in April of 2009, we got on the ship early and because this was an overnight port, we got off the ship and caught a cab outside the terminal. We had been in BA for two days so we had some familiarity with the city.

Calling for a van is a great idea.

I recall my wife and I walked about three blocks to near the Courthouse, where we caught a Radio Cab. The fare was about half of what we would have been charged by the cruise terminal taxis.

My concern for the OP is that he or she would have to leave the cruise terminal area, go out onto a street, look for a Radio taxi/van, negotiate a fare, and hopefully the taxi would follow them back to the cruise terminal .

My concern for the OP is that he or she would have to leave the cruise terminal area, go out onto a street, look for a Radio taxi/van, negotiate a fare, and hopefully the taxi would follow them back to the cruise terminal .

You lost me. I have a residence in Bs As and am writing from there. Taxi cabs in Bs As are all required to use the meter. There is no need to negotiate with any hailed cab. The distance between the terminal and the street where a cab can be hailed is about 25 meters. Not at all clear what you mean by the cab following the pax back to the terminal. Presumably one could wheel their luggage 25 meters but if not, like I said earlier, cabs called by phone can pull easily pull in to the passenger loading zone to pick up their fare thereby eliminating any need to shlep bags.

Hello,

I do not want to debate anything with anyone. And obviously if you live in BA you are more knowledgeable than me. I thought that with six people and lots of luggage plus the fact that the Marriott is not a long way away, that it would be best to pay the higher taxi rate at the cruise terminal.

I too like to be treated fairly in money matters but sometimes it is better to pay more for less hassle.

Calling for a taxi/van should work out very well.

Archived