The Baths or Cane Garden Bay

kevinandrenay

Hello Everyone,

I am having a problem with Tortola. The one time we were there we went to Cane Garden Bay and loved it. This time I think we want to go to V.G. to see the baths. Are the baths worth it? Most of the pictures I see are of boulders. I have heard there are 2 beaches but have not seen any pictures of them. Are the beaches nice? The thing we liked about Cane Garden was the setting. Any reviews, comments, or pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

The Baths is unique and worth a visit. However, it is quite different than Cane Garden Bay. The beaches are smaller at the Baths and you have to climb through the boulders. It is fun for snorkeling. The other thing about the Baths is that there are no trees, so really no shade.

If you loved Cane Garden Bay, you might want to visit White Bay over on Jost Van Dyke. It is also a very beautiful beach, and home to the Soggy Dollar Bar and Ivan's.

Agree -- if you're an avid snorkeler, opt for the Baths -- snorkel around and then take the "walking tour" through the boulders....and you will find the "other" beach...which I believe is Devil's Bay...

But....if you are not much for snorkeling? Get thee to Jost Van Dyke and have a Painkiller at the Soggy Dollar ;)

Jet skis are illegal in the BVI thank goodness. Some older ones were grandfathered in and it seems they somehow occasionally become available (yeah right, they have to be the most durable jet ski ever made).

If you like to jet ski that's fine, but please, please consider doing it at another stop and let the BVI be appreciated for the beautiful scenery, it's people and it's natural charms. You can jet ski or banana boat or parasail, etc, at so many other ports does this one have to be like all the rest?

are the baths like horshoe bay in bermuda which have lots of beautiful rock formations? we are trying to decide the same here. what is there to do at cane garden, do they have jets skis, sounds like it is no good for snorkeling.

Cane Garden is one of the most beautiful beaches we have been to. It is a place to relax and enjoy the scenery. It is a very tropical setting. There are also good places to get food and drink.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the taxi fare from the cruise port to Cane Garden Bay?

Cane Garden is one of the most beautiful beaches we have been to. It is a place to relax and enjoy the scenery. It is a very tropical setting. There are also good places to get food and drink.

Thanks for the site. The pictures look great and I think you have help me decide. Now we have to figure out how we want to get there.

Thanks,

Kevin

You may have found your answer already, but you can go to the Baths on your own. We went to the Baths on our own last year on advice from these boards and had no problems. The only downside is the fact that we are not in Tortola for a longer time. This means time cut a little short at the Baths, but we still got everything in without feeling rushed.

When you get off the ship, it is a 10 minute walk to the ferries (walk to your left when leaving the ship). We used Speedy's ferry service...I checked their site a few days ago...round trip ticket is $30 per person which includes your open air taxi to the Baths and back. Entrance to the Baths is $3 I believe. Sure beats the $70 pp to do this through the ship.

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ this is Speedy's website.

The first ferry leaves at 9 a.m. and you want to be on that ferry because the ferry that brings you back to Tortola is at 12:30 and you MUST be on this one because the next one is too late for catching the ship before it leaves. We came back on the 12:30 ferry (approx. 45 minute trip) and still had time to browse through the flea market on the way back to the ship.

Any questions, let me know. I'll keep checking back.

As Seniors and a $10 each way fare to Virgin Gorda on Speedy's Does anyone know if transport to the baths is part of that fare. Thanks and we will also query Speedy's. John

Last year the taxi was included in the adult round trip fare of $30. I'm not sure if you are getting a one way ticket. I looked on Speedy's site, but either overlooked this info or it is just not there.

Of course, we did not know until we got to Speedy's to purchase our tickets that the taxi was included. So that was a nice surprise!!

You may have found your answer already' date=' but you can go to the Baths on your own. We went to the Baths on our own last year on advice from these boards and had no problems. The only downside is the fact that we are not in Tortola for a longer time. This means time cut a little short at the Baths, but we still got everything in without feeling rushed.

When you get off the ship, it is a 10 minute walk to the ferries (walk to your left when leaving the ship). We used Speedy's ferry service...I checked their site a few days ago...round trip ticket is $30 per person which includes your open air taxi to the Baths and back. Entrance to the Baths is $3 I believe. Sure beats the $70 pp to do this through the ship.

http://www.speedysbvi.com/ this is Speedy's website.

The first ferry leaves at 9 a.m. and you want to be on that ferry because the ferry that brings you back to Tortola is at 12:30 and you MUST be on this one because the next one is too late for catching the ship before it leaves. We came back on the 12:30 ferry (approx. 45 minute trip) and still had time to browse through the flea market on the way back to the ship.

Any questions, let me know. I'll keep checking back.[/quote']

We don't see the fares listed on Speedys Web site, $30 is a great price.

Can you let us know if that was Web fare or per cruise phone call.

Thanks

Here is a link to the ferry schedules and rates for Tortola (Road Town) to Virgin Gorda. http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_tortola.htm

The best advise I can give you is this: Don't wait to catch the last ferry from Virgin Gorda! They are notorious for not leaving right on time, and you don't want to cut it too close.

We don't see the fares listed on Speedys Web site, $30 is a great price.

Can you let us know if that was Web fare or per cruise phone call.

Thanks

On Speedy's site, you will need to click on "fares" on the top of their page. We got our tickets at the check in desk at the ferry pier in Tortola. I notice that they have an "e-tickets" button on their site, but have clicked on it twice in two days and it does not work.

Here is a link to the ferry schedules and rates for Tortola (Road Town) to Virgin Gorda. http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_vg_tortola.htm

The best advise I can give you is this: Don't wait to catch the last ferry from Virgin Gorda! They are notorious for not leaving right on time, and you don't want to cut it too close.

This is very true...we waited about 20 minutes on our ferry to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived