How Much Time Should We Spend Pre-Cruise in Montreal?

We are on the Crystal Symphony departing Montreal to New York on September 30, 2010. We have never been to Montreal, and we want to spend some time there pre-cruise. The ship is in Montreal overnight when we board, but I know that part of the embarkation day will be spent "embarking" and getting settled on the ship, not sightseeing. Therefore, I figure that we will need an additional day or more in Montreal to enjoy the city.

How many days total should we spend in Montreal in order to properly see the city?

What are the "must sees?"

Should we arrange for a private guide and driver, or can we visit all of the important sites easily by using taxis and our feet? If we should have a private guide (which we much prefer over large organized tours), can you recommend a great guide for us to contact?

Thanks!

Shelley:p

I cannot tell you about private guides, but there must be some. For sure spend a couple days in Montreal. It has great atmosphere. You will want to do the usual sight seeing stops of going up Mount Royal and visiting the old city (Vieux Montreal). But leave some time for just walking about.

A few great streets to check: Mountain, Crescent, Boul. Saint Laurent (Schwartz' for famout Montreal smoked meat sandwiches), St. Denis.

The main street downtown is St. Catherine, and Crescent is very touristy. Mount Royal and St. Denis are more artsy, and if you want to see Vieux Montreal you can take a horse-drawn carriage ride - most drivers will point out things of interest.

Must see? There is Mount Royal Park, the Notre-Dame Basilica, and St. Joseph's Oratory. Hard to know what others are interested in when you live here. We also have several wonderful museums.

You don't need a guide, just a map and metro pass (that's the subway to you Americans :)) -

Want to know where to eat? Check out the local Chowhound board.

I hope all those links help you out, I'd do at least a couple of days and take in the city!

On our May repositioning cruise from Florida to Montreal we did 2 days post. Try Gray Line's Hop On Hop Off Double Decker Bus ride. Stay on for the entire trip or get off sightsee and pick up the next bus. It will give you a great overiew of Montreal.

Old Montreal, Mount Royal, St. Joseph Observatory, Cathedral, Underground Montreal are a few of the shoulds.

We are on the Crystal Symphony departing Montreal to New York on September 30, 2010. We have never been to Montreal, and we want to spend some time there pre-cruise. The ship is in Montreal overnight when we board, but I know that part of the embarkation day will be spent "embarking" and getting settled on the ship, not sightseeing. Therefore, I figure that we will need an additional day or more in Montreal to enjoy the city.

How many days total should we spend in Montreal in order to properly see the city?

What are the "must sees?"

Should we arrange for a private guide and driver, or can we visit all of the important sites easily by using taxis and our feet? If we should have a private guide (which we much prefer over large organized tours), can you recommend a great guide for us to contact?

Thanks!

Shelley:p

1) Old Montreal, including the Notre-Dame Basilica

2) Mount-Royal Park (& Jean-Drapeau Park)

3) Botanical Garden

4) Underground City

5) City Market (Jean-Talon)

If you are lucky, you will be here in time for the Chinese Lanterns at the botanical garden. This is once a year and only runs from late September until the end of October and only from 6PM onward as they are outside and it needs to be dark.

But Montreal isn't about the sights, it's about the life. Good food, walking around in the neighbourhoods and parks, sitting in cafés and more.

Anything under two days and you will have just had just a taste. It takes a good three days, if not more.

Really no point in a guide. It's an easy city to get around, but if you do feel uncomfortable, you can always take the half-day or full-day tour with Grayline before you set out on your own. The Hop-On-Hop-Off does not usually run at the end of September except on Saturday and Sunday. (I should know, we sell tickets for our guests.)

NB: My opinions may be biased because I run a B&B in Montreal. Please take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt.

Archived