What has happened to the SUN? (LONG)

IDKaren

:(We went on the Alaska Re-positioning cruise on the Sun-9/13/-9/20. We have cruised the Sun twice-last year out of New Orleans and several years ago on the South American cruise-we have always loved it. Not so much this time.

Got to take the new Canada Line from airport to cruise ship-clean-fast-cheap way to get there! Got to docks early-around 11:15 and only had to wait about 35 minutes to start boarding. We were in line- asked if we were Latitudes member- said yes and were directed to another line. ONLY to find that Latitude check in had FOUR-vvverrrryyy slow and bordering on rude people and there were TWENTY lines for NON latitude members- so much for THAT perk.

Going aboard- stopped by photographer-told him did not want my pic taken- he actually blocked way and said "it is PART of the cruising experience". Don't think so- walked around him and of course you know how they are always there all during the cruise- usually not a problem but these people were SO pushy! SO many pics not bought- what a waste of paper.

Usually do balcony but with cold rainy weather decided to do window. REALLY liked cabin- 5202-VERY quite location and our room steward was freindly, helpful and on the ball.

So--the food- not iimpressed at all! Yup-could sure tell crew was tired after 5 months in Alaska. OR maybe it is since the KNOW they will be tipped no matter what-. No enthusiasm- slow-some were even really bordering on rude. Shame- never had that on the Sun before. Food was not that great-and not always warm when it should be warm or cold when it should be cold. Buffet- a DISASTER and now I remember why I liked the Jades-only one crowded long line to get food-slow-crowded and of course the ever present'- I ONLY want to get salad-so I will cut in here in front of you" arrrggghh! Desserts used to be SO Much fun on NCL now they are BORING> USed to be NICE sized Lobster tails-not puny little crawdad sized tails.

Entertainment was so so- the Cuban lady my oh my-high energy but pretty annoying-walked out. The comedian was funny and the magician was fun. Other enterntaiment- ho hum Oh-there were three girls with violins/piano-wonderful music- hardly anyone watched them and tha tis a shame. They were mostly in observation lounge.

Alaska- had been before so only went to Ketchikan and Juneau for a bit of "late season" shopping. SOOO many 'Ship sponsored" jewelery shops- WAY over priced and REALLY pushed on the ships for shopping. Did find a wonderfu pair of earrings at a 'local" store for half the price.

I love the Sun- and I usually love NCL but service and food really seem to be going down hill.. Hope they can get their act together cuz it is a shame!

Karen,

Thanks very much for your post. We disembarked the day you boarded and our experiences really reflected each other. I love NCL and had hoped to love the Sun (a lot of people on here really raved about it). We thought the food lacked a lot - of flavor, imagination, presentation. We interacted with some friendly crew members (Marciel at one of the bars, Anca or Concierge), but overall, the crew seemed tired and aggravated. I was afraid to ask them for anything because they all seemed to just be going through the motions. And we were also shocked by the pushy photographers - I was grabbed by one of those animal-costumed people they have by the gangway when I told them nicely that I didn't want a photo. We had a great time still, but I was glad to read your point-of-view, because all of the other reviews on here have been so positive - I began to think I was crazy. LOL

Thanks again, and I hope you still had fun on the cruise.

Michael

WHEW~ I am glad to hear YOUR post because as a past fan of the SUN I thought it might just be ME:rolleyes: We did have fun despite all the other things-of course we are the type who usually make our own fun and since we were both coming off a month of being sick we relaxed ALOT-read alot of books- took alot of naps and sat relaxing in the observation lounge!

It was wierd too cause I guess there were THREE medical emergencies- one before we even got out of port-one lady fell down the stairs and we had to speed up and get to San Francisco early because of a medical emergency-never did hear about what it was.

Yeah- those stupid stuffed animals suits-don't even get me started on THEM:mad:stupid things anyway!

Thanks for letting me know I am not crazy!

This is the second reference I have read recently about NCL ship photographers actually grabbing passengers, by clothing or otherwise.

To me that is totally unacceptable, and I would expect that NCL would agree.

No, I don't think it is just you. I was on the cruise before you as well and something was definately a bit off. Service was perfectly acceptable, food was good, nothing to complain about but something didn't feel right.

I've been on the Aloha twice, before she was the Sky (sister to the Sun), so it wasn't a problem with the ship layout. And I was on the Star in March and loved it. So much that I just booked for next March, so not a problem with NCL or freestyle for me.

What we decided, after a far bit of discussion, was that the staff just were not happy. Don't know why, could be due to the fairly obvious pressure they were under to sell, or it could be due to changes in Officers/management.

Whatever the cause, I think it showed. Hope they fix it.

And I too hate the stuffed animals and being FORCED to have my picture taken with them. Enviromental impact is huge (please ignore the hypocracy of a cruiser being concerned about the environmental impact of a photograph :)

Happy cruising!

J9

Boy, things must have changed drastically since March 1 when I disembarked. I did not pose with any creatures in costumes and the crew was delightful. Only had a problem with one and I believe he is no longer on the Sun. I hope things turn around for future cruisers of the Sun.

Donna---not to change subjects- but I see you did the SUN to South American..did you love it? we so enjoyed it when we did it a few years back--another reason disappointed this time.

Boy, things must have changed drastically since March 1 when I disembarked. I did not pose with any creatures in costumes and the crew was delightful. Only had a problem with one and I believe he is no longer on the Sun. I hope things turn around for future cruisers of the Sun.

My least favorite ship/cruise by far was the Sun (see signature rating)...and this includes my second cruise on Grandeur of the Seas when the ship broke down and we had to be pushed by tug boats up the Chesapeake Bay! :) I've raved and raved about the Owners Suite and Garden Villa experience, but we will not cruise on the Sun again. Agree with all of the observations noted. But loved the Star and Jewel.

Having never cruised the Sun before, we loved it. We were on the repo, last time out of Alaska trip. We had a great time. The staff was so funny and they made us feel so welcome. Ameta, Anka, Predro, Hotel Director, Laudry Director learned my name and addressed me personally everytime they saw me. The internet guru was wonderful. He made our first internet experience on ship very comfortable. Was always there to answer your question, even a over excited Mom needind to talk to home often. Orlando our butler made us feel like royalty, and spoiled us so much. The food was as good as any cruise ship we have been on. A ship is a ship. As long as I do not have to cook, clean or make my bed, I am perfectly happy. I have experienced that the crew on any ship is a friendly as you are to them. I met many kind staff members, for the waiters, bar tenders, drink carriers, cleaning personal. I always took a minute to thank each one and ask them about home. My DH, mad the joke that, are you going to thank every employee on this ship. I said yes, they are here to help my vacation a sucess, so I will take the time to thank them. This so paid off, as many went out of their way thru out the trip to return the friendly favor.

Anyway I loved the Sun and would go on her again in a heartbeat.

Thanks again to Intenet guy, Ameita, Orlando, Pedro, all the wait staff, and a super duper room stewart Jovel. You all made my trip a wonderful, relaxed fun journey on a grand lady, with a grand staff.

Nancy

Sorry the service and food weren't that great.

I also don't like the suited animals they want you to take a photo with. Do they think we're 2 years old to what that in a photo and pay for it. They also hold up the line trying to depart the ship at ports.

Nancy,

I think your posts and my posts prove that people who read reviews shouldn't put too much weight on the reviews themselves. I think the cruise experience truly does vary from week. For instance, you loved the internet guy. Me and my partner found him very annoyed (especially the last night when people were trying to print out boarding passes). And he often did not show up at his post at the time he was scheduled. I remember two times when we, along with other people, waited 30 minutes for him to show up. When he came he was not in a good mood and didn't apologize to those of us waiting. However, I'm glad that you loved Anca and Orlando as much as we did. Anca was also our Concierge on the Star last fall, and it was great when we boarded in Vancouver and she ran down the gangway to give us a hug. She and Orlando are superstars. We barely used them for anything, but we were honored to have the privilege to be in their care.

I also want to thank you for your kindness towards the staff. I have worked in hotels for several years. And with the long, exhausting hours we put in (and especially the 7 days-a-week that cruise ship employees work), we really appreciate when guests take the time out to ask us about ourselves and thank us for the work that we do. We spend a good part of our time getting yelled at and bossed around by unkind people, and your thoughtfulness goes a long way in boosting the morale of people who are, in general, overworked and underappreciated.

Michael

IDKaren- yes I loved the SA cruise. I did the Antarctica trip so that made it all the more special. We also adored the layout of our aft AC which was wonderful for viewing and even better for sharing a cabin with mom and getting to have my own space!

I was interested in your comments on the Sun. Came off an Alaska trip on September 6th on the Sun. I agree with your comments about the service. Some were excellent while others and there were too many of them could not have cared less. We were in one restaurant where we were told they could not accommodate us because we did not have reservations supposedly. The restaurant was half empty. They grudgingly agreed to seat us but the service was poor. Our cabin stewards were so so. On several occasions we had to ask for items. It was my first trip on NCL and I really do not understand why so many people rave about them. Food choice was so so. Somewhat of an unusual choice of foods at times. Have had much better. Anyway still had a very good time.

I almost hesitate to comment on this thread because it has been a few years since we were on the Sun, but our memories of the Sun are very positive. We remember her as being a very beautiful ship and I do remember the staff were exceptional. There was one of the specialty restaurants I did not care that much for..but I honestly don't remember which one (or two). It seems to me I didn't care for the French or the Italian, but I do know I loved the others. I remember having a great room steward and a great Concierge. The Butler was fairly non-existent but that was ok as we hardly utilize their services anyway. I do have to say the best suite we have ever had was on the Sun, 0065. MAN what a bathroom and what a balcony did that suite have.

Sorry you had less than favorable experiences with the Sun. I would honestly recommend her to anyone, based on the experience we had onboard her.

Wow, so it is not just me? I recently cruised on the Sun 20/9 – 1/10 Eleven-day ‘Sea of Cortez’ cruise and was rather disappointed after two previous wonderful cruises on the ‘Sun’ several years ago.

Much to my surprise, the staff generally seemed disgruntled and their attitude bordered on the rude on quite a number of occasions. Quite frankly, I had the impression that many of the staff members did not give a hoot and the friendliness, not to mention the great service, that I had formerly encountered on the ‘Sun’ was no longer there.

The lovely little extras such as turn-down service with a small chocolate on the pillow were done away with and now basically consisted of delivery of jewelry store flyers and a cursory cleaning of the bathroom. The small bottles of body lotion, shower cap, etc. have met with the same fate, as has the traditional birthday congratulation card from the captain. While I’m sure that most of us agree that food is a subjective topic, I for one was rather disappointed in comparison to my previous experiences on the ‘Sun’ in this regard.

While my above gripes are relatively trivial, the fact that it took three days before the bedding, which reeked of the perspiration of the previous occupant, was dealt with is not.

On the plus side, I was impressed by how quickly the air-conditioning unit, which sounded like it was about to explode, was replaced quickly and cheerfully despite the lateness of the hour. I also greatly enjoyed the new ports and especially the Copper Canyon by Rail excursion, which was a fabulous trip. As for entertainment, the Ukrainian chamber ensemble and the pianist were a delight.

In closing, I would like to say that I hope that NCL management will ask themselves how it could come to such a state that a ship that was previously rated highly and had a loyal following now receives such negative comments. NCL, it is a happy crew that makes for a great experience for your passengers, not cheesy craft projects and semi-vulgar pool games.

Wow, so it is not just me? I recently cruised on the Sun 20/9 – 1/10 Eleven-day ‘Sea of Cortez’ cruise and was rather disappointed after two previous wonderful cruises on the ‘Sun’ several years ago.

Much to my surprise, the staff generally seemed disgruntled and their attitude bordered on the rude on quite a number of occasions. Quite frankly, I had the impression that many of the staff members did not give a hoot and the friendliness, not to mention the great service, that I had formerly encountered on the ‘Sun’ was no longer there.

The lovely little extras such as turn-down service with a small chocolate on the pillow were done away with and now basically consisted of delivery of jewelry store flyers and a cursory cleaning of the bathroom. The small bottles of body lotion, shower cap, etc. have met with the same fate, as has the traditional birthday congratulation card from the captain. While I’m sure that most of us agree that food is a subjective topic, I for one was rather disappointed in comparison to my previous experiences on the ‘Sun’ in this regard.

While my above gripes are relatively trivial, the fact that it took three days before the bedding, which reeked of the perspiration of the previous occupant, was dealt with is not.

On the plus side, I was impressed by how quickly the air-conditioning unit, which sounded like it was about to explode, was replaced quickly and cheerfully despite the lateness of the hour. I also greatly enjoyed the new ports and especially the Copper Canyon by Rail excursion, which was a fabulous trip. As for entertainment, the Ukrainian chamber ensemble and the pianist were a delight.

In closing, I would like to say that I hope that NCL management will ask themselves how it could come to such a state that a ship that was previously rated highly and had a loyal following now receives such negative comments. NCL, it is a happy crew that makes for a great experience for your passengers, not cheesy craft projects and semi-vulgar pool games.

I don't understand what has gone wrong?? We were on the Sun to Alaska in June and the service and staff couldn't have been better.

In fact, we were so impressed with the staff that the four of us decided to follow them to the Baltics next year.

Too bad that your experience wasn't better. As for semi-vulgar pool games, I have found them to be rampart on most lines! I just walk away and ignore them. ;)

too cold for the semi vulgar pool games in Alaska-guess i missed that:D

Well let me think--more positve things to add. Capt Tommy was as sweet as ever- love that man! The ever present "not so newly wed" game was amusing- WOW a couple married FIFTY years and sitll in love! Oh- and the bread pudding at the buffet was good! Ok- so I will end on a positive note for the poor ole sun:cool:

Of the different cruise lines I have been on, NCL is the most aggressive at trying to sell on board extras. The mark-up on photos is like 2000% so they really try and push those. I just walk around and say no thank you. I have never had anyone put their hands on me, but if I did I would make a huge scene, get their name and report it to the manager. They usually use the same crew to take all pictures and I am sure they would remember me the next time and when I said no I meant no.

With that said, cruise lines have cut their fares to the bare minimum and they're going to try and get anything they can from you when they have you on the ship. It's been a few years since I have been on the Sun, the cruise was great, some of the passengers were another story!

Well, we're halfway through our cruise to the Mexican Riviera - today in Mazatlan ($4 per hour for the internet at the pier).

Except for the over two hours it took to get on in San Francisco, half of which was standing outside the pier because the computers weren't working, this cruise has been a pleasant surprise.

We have a balcony, so don't hang around the pool - it is very noisy there. Always playing "music" over the loudspeaker.

The food in the dining room has been fine - and the temperature there is comfortable.

We were late leaving Topolobompo because the train was several hours late getting back. I don't have the whole story yet, but hope someone on it will post. If you're taking the tour, I suggest a sleeping pill and a pillow.

I'll try to write a complete review when we get home. Nancy

:(We went on the Alaska Re-positioning cruise on the Sun-9/13/-9/20. We have cruised the Sun twice-last year out of New Orleans and several years ago on the South American cruise-we have always loved it. Not so much this time.

Got to take the new Canada Line from airport to cruise ship-clean-fast-cheap way to get there! Got to docks early-around 11:15 and only had to wait about 35 minutes to start boarding. We were in line- asked if we were Latitudes member- said yes and were directed to another line. ONLY to find that Latitude check in had FOUR-vvverrrryyy slow and bordering on rude people and there were TWENTY lines for NON latitude members- so much for THAT perk.

Going aboard- stopped by photographer-told him did not want my pic taken- he actually blocked way and said "it is PART of the cruising experience". Don't think so- walked around him and of course you know how they are always there all during the cruise- usually not a problem but these people were SO pushy! SO many pics not bought- what a waste of paper.

Usually do balcony but with cold rainy weather decided to do window. REALLY liked cabin- 5202-VERY quite location and our room steward was freindly, helpful and on the ball.

So--the food- not iimpressed at all! Yup-could sure tell crew was tired after 5 months in Alaska. OR maybe it is since the KNOW they will be tipped no matter what-. No enthusiasm- slow-some were even really bordering on rude. Shame- never had that on the Sun before. Food was not that great-and not always warm when it should be warm or cold when it should be cold. Buffet- a DISASTER and now I remember why I liked the Jades-only one crowded long line to get food-slow-crowded and of course the ever present'- I ONLY want to get salad-so I will cut in here in front of you" arrrggghh! Desserts used to be SO Much fun on NCL now they are BORING> USed to be NICE sized Lobster tails-not puny little crawdad sized tails.

Entertainment was so so- the Cuban lady my oh my-high energy but pretty annoying-walked out. The comedian was funny and the magician was fun. Other enterntaiment- ho hum Oh-there were three girls with violins/piano-wonderful music- hardly anyone watched them and tha tis a shame. They were mostly in observation lounge.

Alaska- had been before so only went to Ketchikan and Juneau for a bit of "late season" shopping. SOOO many 'Ship sponsored" jewelery shops- WAY over priced and REALLY pushed on the ships for shopping. Did find a wonderfu pair of earrings at a 'local" store for half the price.

I love the Sun- and I usually love NCL but service and food really seem to be going down hill.. Hope they can get their act together cuz it is a shame!

it has been almost a year since we have cruised NCL so my comments are based on client reports and not personal experience, but most of my clients think NCL is better, not worse. I don't know what happened or why you were so disappointed, I am sorry it wasn't up to par for you. You know, I think the more we do something, in this case cruise, the more we don't have our expectations met. I know I still love every vacation we take and yet, I know I am more critical than in years past. Maybe its just the thrill is wearing off. We found this about Vegas. We used to love the place, then we simply got tired of it. Now, it has been about 3 years and I am ready to give it another try.

AS for service, many of the crew members contracts end during the fall, so some could be really ready just to head home for a break. I don't know if that had anything to do with your experience but it might.

\

NIta

I don't understand what has gone wrong?? We were on the Sun to Alaska in June and the service and staff couldn't have been better.

In fact, we were so impressed with the staff that the four of us decided to follow them to the Baltics next year.

Too bad that your experience wasn't better. As for semi-vulgar pool games, I have found them to be rampart on most lines! I just walk away and ignore them. ;)

Remember when one person posts a negative it brings everyone else out. This is human nature. I know I would do the same probably. If I had a slightly bad experience with something and saw others had as well, I would be more inclined to post.

Nita

Good observations Nita. I agree with both of your posts. If we do something a lot, we get a little jaded after awhile...human nature. Then it's easy to get picky.

Plus the crew is probably bagged by the time fall rolls around. It's a pretty intense summer for them. Give them a break.

Actually Nancy, the computers were working fine, it was some of the inbound passengers that were holding things up.

There were several (maybe 20 or so) passengers that did not report to CBP and therefore held up the debark(almost all did not speak english) All passengers had to be cleared before the ship could debark passengers. They could also not start unloading the luggage until the ship was cleared by CBP (customs) which led to further delays.

Since all the check-in agents were in place at the appointed time and ready to start checking in, they had to wait till the last passenger had gotten off the ship and the onboard staff was able to close out the accounts for the previous cruise. Once this was done the check-in process could begin. It was terrible, I know, but once in a while these things happen.

The shoreside staff tried to explain this to those inside the terminal, but could not get the information to those waiting outside.

I'm so glad to hear from someone on this cruise! My aunt and uncle are on the Sun. This is their very first cruise! I'm soooo hoping it's a positive experience for them. How's the weather and the sea? Is it calm? Of course, it usually is on the way down. Oh, I hope the delay in SF didn't bother them. Or the late train in Topolobampo. :rolleyes: I also hope they enjoy the food and service. They're in their 80s--but young for their age.

Thanks for the report!

Well, we're halfway through our cruise to the Mexican Riviera - today in Mazatlan ($4 per hour for the internet at the pier).

Except for the over two hours it took to get on in San Francisco, half of which was standing outside the pier because the computers weren't working, this cruise has been a pleasant surprise.

We have a balcony, so don't hang around the pool - it is very noisy there. Always playing "music" over the loudspeaker.

The food in the dining room has been fine - and the temperature there is comfortable.

We were late leaving Topolobompo because the train was several hours late getting back. I don't have the whole story yet, but hope someone on it will post. If you're taking the tour, I suggest a sleeping pill and a pillow.

I'll try to write a complete review when we get home. Nancy

Archived