Mr. barbados...a crane construction ?????

llmoyer123

at your suggestion we are planning to cab to the crane and spend the day on the beach there next week. if there's heavy construction going on, we may rethink that and go to a different beach.

may i have your opinion and suggestions for an alternative beach if the construction going on will be detrimental to an idyllic beach day in front of the crane?

If there is any construction going on, it would not going to bother your beach day. There may be construction going on at the hotel, but the beach is down the hill from the actual hotel area. The only thing it might hamper is walking through the hotel itself but unlikely. Take a look at their website http://www.thecrane.com/

http://www.thecrane.com/crane_resort/aboutus/beach.asp The photo on the top of this page is a famous one used any many advertisements. it shows the hotel pool and the beach in the background. You have to climb down a long set of stairs to the left of this scene to get down to the beach.

Enjoy your day.

I have some questions if anybody can help?

We are a party of 4 who will be visiting Barbados via cruising in Feb. Would you be kind enough to answer some questions for me please?

1. What is the cost to access Crane Beach?

2. What is the price of loungers and umbrellas (US Dollars please)

3. Are there beach waiters to take drink/food orders?

4. Do we need to bring our own towel or are they provided? If so, is there a fee?

5. How far is Crane Beach from the Bridgetown Pier?

6. Do you have any idea what the cost of a taxi for 4 passengers would be?

7. Are there "things to do" on the beach, i.e. water sports?

8. Do I need to make reservations?

9. And anything else you can tell me.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME.

HI Tweek,

I'm not going to be very helpful with most of this but I am going to try to answer some and make a suggestion. The suggestion is the that you take a look at the Crane Hotel's website and request information direct from them. also take a look at the website under the beach link I provided above and click on Panarama view. It shows a great representation of the beach at The Crane. All beaches are public in Barbados so it will not just be guests from the hotel on the beach (obviously).

1.Not sure of the cost but I believe you do get some back in food and drink.

2. Not sure that chairs and umbrellas are provided / or even rented from the hotel, but likely a beach vendor on the beach. I would say the normal going rate is about 5.00usd (it actually might be 5.00BBD / 2.50usd) for the day for chairs and the same for umbrellas. ( I could be sadly mistaken but again, ask the hotel directly).

3. Likely no beach waiters. Take a look at the panarama view and you will understand that the hotel is on top of the cliff over looking the beach. Long steps to get to the beach. There is, from my understanding, a beach vendor who does sell drinks on the beach. (nothing fancy but likely beer and sodas).

4. I would bring the towel you get from the ship.

5 and 6. Its about a 45min ride from the port to the Crane. Taxi rates are set rates in Barbados. Here is a statement from one source..

Taxis - Taxis have government-regulated fares but no meters. In spite of

fare regulation, it's always a good idea to settle on the fare before

boarding the taxi. Fares may be shared for up to 4 passengers, and be

sure to determine whether the fare is quoted in US$ or BDS$. Most drivers

will do tours for an hourly charge.

The rate I see on one website shows BBD$34.00 from Bridgetown to Crane. I would say you are looking more like BBD$40.00-50.00 which would be USD$20-25.00. Thats one way.. and as stated above that should cover the 4 of you. (information from ..http://www.shoestringbarbados.com/main_transport.htm ) Not sure how old this info is.. thats why I went a little higher.

7. NO water sports on this beach.. to the best of my knowledge, expect for body surfing and possibly boogie boarding. This side is the Eastern side of the island which is the Atlantic Ocean. Much rougher than the south or west side of the island.

8. You should have to make reservations. The Crane is a hotel that allows people to pay a few to park, enter their property and go on the beach from the hotel. You can also access the beach from the north end via a beach access at no cost, but no showers, no changing rooms, possibly no drinks etc.

My suggestion is you might want to bring along a travel cooler, beach mats and towels and have the taxi guy stop at a shop. buy drinks and muchies and ice. (and buy the taxi guy a beer, if he wants one) and then have him drop you at the public access.. Walk down the hill to the beach and enjoy your day.

The Crane Beach has been voted many times over as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. have a great time.

I had planned to take a party of four to the Crane for an elegant lunch when we are in Barbados next week for one day on a cruise, but it sounds like there may be too much construction going on for us to enjoy ourselves. (The restaurant is supposed to be being remodeled as well I believe.)

Do you think this may be the case, and if somewhere would be a better place to go for lunch from the cruise ships?

Preferably with a water view. Either local food or gourmet is fine - just no chains please! :) Does not have to be fancy (but can be) - just good!

Thanks!

SunnieBGI

We've decided not to go to Crane because don't want to spend 45 min. one way in a cab. Among other things. I have also heard that Mullins Beach is really nice. What can you tell me about that beach? How far is it from the pier? Thanks very much.

Archived