Flying with Thomas Cook to Montego Bay

jtsbusiness

Hi. We are flying to Montego Bay on 27 March at 9.45 from Gatwick for cruise on Sea Princess and wondered what the airline is like? Can't we really book our seats until we arrive? What kind of meals/drinks are included? Seat room? (and anything else of interest!). We return overnight arriving back at 8.00 am so does this differ from the day flights?

We are thinking of staying overnight at Gatwick, so can anybody recommend a good, but inexpensive hotel that would be suitable, and for car parking?

Finally, has anybody else done this eastern caribbean cruise and can recommend tours either on the ship, or self organised tours. Our last cruise was in the med. and we were amazed at how much cheaper it was to organise our own tours using public transport and/or taxis. However, this cruise is to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, so we really want to make it special without breaking the bank!

Thanks for reading this and hopefully for giving help and guidance

Jan

We flew on Thomas Cook to Cuba this year and were horrified to find that their weight restriction on baggage in the hold was 15llb this could be increased for a cost to 20 llb, per person. also 5llb for hand luggage.:eek:

We struggled with the weight and we weren't cruising. Check your weight restrictions.

I must admit we weren't that impressed with them and wouldn't fly with them again. The back seat tv's didn't all work and we had 2 films to watch for 10 hours. Not the best of films either, one was for kids and the other was night at the museum 2.:(

Obviously, their other flights may be better but I would definitely check your luggage limits.

Can't help with seats as we booked exit seats at extra cost.

We usually stay at Holiday Inn, when flying from Gatwick although are plenty of hotels nearby.

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Navigator of the Seas February 2008

Emerald Princess August 2008

Grand Princess May 2009

Hi there,

flew Thomas cook last year, service was passable but not good,

seats etc were well, fine for a trip to Spain but long haul were not great.

bottom line would not cancel a cruise because of them, but if had a choice would pick Virgin.

yours shogun

PS there are worse out there could have been first choice.

15llb this could be increased for a cost to 20 llb, per person. also 5llb for hand luggage.:eek:

Sorry meant 15 kgs/20kgs/5kgs

Mind you it felt more like llbs when I had to keep taking clothes out of the case.:rolleyes:

Babs

These flights for cruises on Sea Princess are chartered by princess Cruises, so they set the baggage allowance and not Thomas Cook, we where on the Sea Princess in January. We paid to upgrade our seats when we booked the cruise, so you shouldn't have a problem unless they've changed this summer. Basic allowance was 20kg which increased to 23kg if you upgraded your seats to premium economy.

Oh, and by the way Sea Princess is a great ship, and she should be even better now she's been in drydock for a refit.

Thanks everyone. Our luggage allowance is 23kg so seems to be a big improvement. Not sure about what the plane will be though. Husband has a bad back and trying to find the best seat if possible, as he is tall. Looked on seatguru web site, and looks like the worst pitch is 30 - hopefully will be a more generous pitch.

Still looking forward to the cruise - should be fun

Thank you everybody.

Been on to Princess and they say that as it is a chartered flight they allocate seats on arrival and unable to prebook.

The girl from Princess thought it would be an Airbus A330, but looking on seatguru they only have A320's! She did specify that it was a 3 3 3 seating, so sounds as if it is a different plane to those on seatguru.

Looks like it will have to be a wait and see!

Does anybody have any idea as to what happens on embarkation day? We arrive at Montego Bay at 7am and out flight does not leave until 4.55 pm. Are we left to our own devices or are trips allowed?

Our itinery is:

Samana, Tortola St Maarten, Antigua, Dominica, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada, Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Caymen and back to Montego Bay.

Any must dos/must sees or keep away froms????

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received. We are semi-fit/active pensioners but my husband does tire easily and not 100% fit. We have snorkled off the Barrier Reef but I am not terribly confident in water!

Thanks again

The girl from Princess thought it would be an Airbus A330, but looking on seatguru they only have A320's! She did specify that it was a 3 3 3 seating, so sounds as if it is a different plane to those on seatguru.

Looks like it will have to be a wait and see!

Here's a link to the seating plan on Thomas Cook's A330's

http://www.thomascookairlines.co.uk/Boeing_A330new.asp

We're going on the Sea Princess to Montego Bay in January also but from Doncaster. We've also upgraded our seats to premium as I'm going with my elderly mum who suffers with a bad back and she needs the extra room. I was told it would be a Thomson flight though. I flew Thomson last year to Aruba on the Ocean Village and there was plenty of leg room without upgrading.

My question is we have always been on Ocean Village and I go with my mum and son as a family treat. Neither of them like dressing up so we've opted for the any time dining. I realise it isn't as informal as OV but on the formal night will we still be expected to dress up - a suit for my son would be dressing up!! He likes his jeans. If so is there an alternative to where we eat such as a buffet or room service.

We flew Manchester to Montego Bay in January and there was loads of leg room. As far as I am aware, everyone, even the ones who upgraded, got the same luggage allowance which I think was 23 kilos. The food wasn`t wonderful but edible. The second meal, pasta, was quite nice. The crew were good and we had our free drinks and even a frozen Mars Bar.

The Airbus 330 has a 3/3/3 configuration but there are two or three rows at the back which are twos at the side.

On the Morning of disembarkation we spent a lovely morning lazing by the pool. We then had an early lunch and changed before we were taken to the airport.

There is a disabled toilet, with loads of room, , beside the Pizza restaurant which was deserted. We went in (one at a time) and had a wash and change.

Our experience with Thomas Cook was a good one.:)

Hi Caber, Are you saying that on the day of disembarkation you were allowed to stay on the ship until being taken upto the airport?

I hope this is the case with us as we are due into Montego Bay at 7am and we dont fly until 5.30pm so if we could stay by the pool for a few hours that would be great.

Yes, we are too. When I asked the lady at Princess she had no idea and said it would be up to the travel rep that we had assigned to us on the ship!! If we can laze by the pool, it would be great. It might also be nice to look around Montego Bay, but do they take the luggage to the airport for you?

Hi Caber, Are you saying that on the day of disembarkation you were allowed to stay on the ship until being taken upto the airport?

I hope this is the case with us as we are due into Montego Bay at 7am and we dont fly until 5.30pm so if we could stay by the pool for a few hours that would be great.

Yes, we spent the morning by the pool then had lunch before changing to go to the airport. It was great to get a last bit of sun.

I can`t remember what time we were taken off but at the airport we bypassed the long queues for security with a Princess representative. It was all painless. We did, of course, go through security checks too.

Hi,

Just flew to Vegas and back with Thomas Cook on the same aircraft.

Didn't really have any complaints.

We see this purely as a way to 'get' on holiday.

On a long haul flight, you just put up and shut up. Sorry, but that's the way I see it, so I'm never dissapointed.

Cheers

davy!!! :)

Hi Cleo

Never been on a Princess cruise before, but when we were on Celebrity, if you did not go into the main dining room and stayed in the buffet type areas, then you could dress how you liked. It was just the main dining areas that were effected.

Maybe someone that has been on Princess before could comment on formal dress, but I think you have choices.

Hope you all have a great time

Archived