TP Info Please

seafish

On previous FP Renaissance cruises - all evening dinners were Country Club Casual. Now that it's Princess with formal nights....are there sport coats being worn at dinners on other than formal nights? Thanks - SeaFish

• 1 month later...

Totally agree that formal nights in FP don't make any sense!! WE sailed with Oceania last summer to the Greek Islands and they had "county club casual" for dinner which worked out well.

I think we should let Princess know that their policy of formal in FP is not well received. We definitely will not be wearing tux's and long gowns, probably short cocktail dress and suit will be as dressed as we plan to get. One other option is to just have room service that night. If enough people don't dress up that should help.

My husband and I have on other cruises with formal nights and have not dressed in formal attire. We were dressed nicely but not formally. The last cruise we were on my husband didn't even wear a sport coat. I assure you no one will turn you away from the dining room or from the photographer. The only issue will be how you feel mingling with others dressed formally.

Paula

I'm going through the same thing; my DH especially thinks formal attire in the South Pacific is just a total oxymoron.

We're going to just wear resort nice--meaning he'll have a sport coat, probably no tie but nice shirt, and I'll wear a nice sun or plain travel dress on formal nights. I guess if they don't like it we can go get pizza. We certainly won't feel odd dressed that way and wouldn't feel out of place even if everyone else had on fancy attire. Just doesn't make sense to us!

My wife and I were on the Tahitian Princess in May of '04: on "formal" nights I got away with slacks and a jacket, no tie; she looked lovely in pant suits and skirt & blouse combos. Otherwise we wore whatever we wanted and never felt out of place. No shorts at any time of course, but otherwise a decent pair of pants and a collared shirt for the gents is fine. Women "of a certain age" tended to be dressier most evenings; but I never saw women in really formal evening wear...

It's a great trip, by the way. The ship is a nice change if you're accustomed to the big mega-cruisers... If you're a black pearl fan: you really will find better prices and quality in the shops of Papeete than on the local "pearl farms". The pearl farms visited at any of the touristy excursions are really interesting, but as our local jeweler noted: "Quality pearls won't grown in an environment as turbulent as the tourist-accessable pearl farms. There's just too much commotion for the sensitive oysters..." But spend an afternoon checking out several of the countless shops. It's educational and fun... The Tahitian Princesses' own jewerly shop was actually a pretty good place to buy pearls. The prices were competitive and the quality was excellent. There was a very knowledgable staffer in that store; a cute gal with red hair...

Have a blast!

Archived