Carnival's Xunantunich or Altun Ha????

jkjmt

I'm sure Xunantunich is a better ruin, but is the River Wallace/Altun Ha a better tour??? I hate spending hours in a bus to get where I'm going and going down the River Wallace seems like alot of fun (as long as it's not raining...:eek:) I'm pretty sure we're sticking with a Carnival tour in Belize.

I'm sure Xunantunich is a better ruin, but is the River Wallace/Altun Ha a better tour??? I hate spending hours in a bus to get where I'm going and going down the River Wallace seems like alot of fun (as long as it's not raining...:eek:) I'm pretty sure we're sticking with a Carnival tour in Belize.

We did Xunantunich through the ship. It was a very long day. The bus ride this through the country side and several small towns and villages. We were at the site for 2 hours. We chose it because the temple awas the tallest of the ruins. You shouldn't have too many issues with rain during January, so the river might add a bit to your tour expereince, banks of mangroves and possible critter sightings. Just be prepared for a long day which ever tour you go on.

I changed last minute and did the River Wallace/Altun Ha and highly recommend it.

Did the excursion Sept 21 and it was humid and hot so doing the River Wallace first gave a cool breeze when the boat sped up, beautiful trees and we saw quite a bit of wildlife, nothing major but saw an alligator, iguanas and some monkeys up in the trees.

I liked the split of Boat/lunch at a local Inn then on to the ruins in a comfortable bus. Loved Altun Ha and it was as many steps as I could have made in that humidity. Beautiful and still able to climb two of the structures.

I still want to do Xunantunich and a friend I met from the roll call did and had a great time although she did say it was a long day. I think I'd prefer to try it in the winter, perhaps a Jan/Feb trip.

I don't think you can go wrong. Have fun

I also did Altun Ha/River wallace with 4 teens and an 11 year old in mid September. The boat ride was hot and could have sped up a little bit. But over all our group really liked it our guide Oscar was very interesting, well spoken and managed his team well. The teens were adequately impressed with Altun ha as they had never experienced any ruins before. It was a good day and everyone went to bed early that night!

Archived