Galveston Hotel Location during Mardi Gras

ddy123

Hi everyone. We will be cruising out of Galveston during Mardi Gras. Our flight lands at Hobby at 10:55 PM on a Friday night. If we were to book a hotel on the Seawall will we have difficulty getting dropped off due to parades etc? I am totally unfamiliar with how Mardi Gras works so sorry if this is a silly question. Also, we are a family with two girls ages 10 and 13. How "wild" do things get? Are we better off staying in a quieter area? Thanks!

Hi everyone. We will be cruising out of Galveston during Mardi Gras. Our flight lands at Hobby at 10:55 PM on a Friday night. If we were to book a hotel on the Seawall will we have difficulty getting dropped off due to parades etc? I am totally unfamiliar with how Mardi Gras works so sorry if this is a silly question. Also, we are a family with two girls ages 10 and 13. How "wild" do things get? Are we better off staying in a quieter area? Thanks!

Hi, We have been to Two Mardi gras in Galveston, and were surprised how NICE they could be. It is nothing like in N.O. Louisana,{Wildness and nudity infered} the congestion should not interfere with lodging.There are plenty of Police on hand for control. This April we took the Easter cruise on VOS. and booked the Galvez hotel thru priceline. It was a great deal and we stored our car there in covered parking, for only a valet fee. The Hotel is old style and elegant, our room was a tad small, but very nice. The web site will show you some of the best shots. There is lots of good food close. Enjoy, JY.:p

No problem with drop off on Friday and nothing too wild if you are on on Seawall. Plenty of hotels on Seawall. Fireworks will be around 35th street.

http://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/

icon.gifGalveston Fun Map

A 35 x 11 inch, full-color, reliable caricature map that shows you everything fun to see and do, and the shortest route to get there!

Galveston Fun Map

Click on image of map!!!!!!!

We will be there Feb 12th and 13th. I think I better get my reservations made because it looks like things are really booking up. Based on availabilty and trying not to go over $200 per night, it looks like these are my choices:

Baymont Inn and Suites

Casa Del Mar Suites

Comfort Suites

Commodore on the Beach

Dawn Condominiums

Holiday Inn on the Beach

Springhill Suites by Marriot

We won't have a car so being able to walk to events is what we are looking for. I'm really happy to hear that this is family friendly so as a result we'd like to be in the middle of the action. :) It was just a fluke that we booked this during Mardi Gras, we didn't even know....I'm so happy it worked out that way

Any votes for which hotel you would choose or any you would stay away from?

Thanks so much!

This is all subject to new Parade route times and schedules for 2010.

With Ike storm last year the routes changed some what in 2009.

However, if same as last year,

probably none of the hotels mentioned will be on Parade Route that day.

Previous weekend of Mardi Gras they would have been on route.

Last year the Saturday 6 PM Parade was on Seawall, 25th and downtown Strand.

Beginning on Seawall like From 14th to 25th then down 25th to downtown

then around the Strand area on two streets..

If it is same in 2010 the Commodore or Gaidos is closest at 36th and 37th.

Cabs are available to down town. You could walk to 25th assuming schedules.

Check other Holiday Inn Express around 21st on Seawall.

The 3PM Z Krewe Parade and 6PM Krewe of Momus Parade are your interest.

Exact routes and time will be announced soon.

Galveston is working on The Lone Star Motorcycle Rally in November (very large)

and Dickens on the Strand (a Charles Dickens Christmas Festival) in December.

Until then plan around this information.

see fun map above

SATURDAY 13th

MARDI GRAS EVENTS:

3PM Z Krewe Parade – THE STRAND DISTRICT

6PM Krewe of Momus Parade – THE STRAND DISTRICT

ALL DAY Balcony Parties Music and Events – THE STRAND DISTRICT

SUNDAY 14th

MARDI GRAS EVENTS:

NOON – 5PM Krewe of Gambrinus Balcony Party – THE STRAND DISTRICT

1PM - Pet Parade – SEAWALL:D

2PM - Krewe of Munchkins Parade – SEAWALL:D

We will be there Feb 12th and 13th. I think I better get my reservations made because it looks like things are really booking up. Based on availabilty and trying not to go over $200 per night, it looks like these are my choices:

Baymont Inn and Suites

Casa Del Mar Suites

Comfort Suites

Commodore on the Beach

Dawn Condominiums

Holiday Inn on the Beach

Springhill Suites by Marriot

We won't have a car so being able to walk to events is what we are looking for. I'm really happy to hear that this is family friendly so as a result we'd like to be in the middle of the action. :) It was just a fluke that we booked this during Mardi Gras, we didn't even know....I'm so happy it worked out that way

Any votes for which hotel you would choose or any you would stay away from?

Thanks so much!

We stayed at the Commodore on the Beach this past February and while the location and the staff was nice I have to be honest that I would not stay there again. All rooms has balconies that look out to the Gulf. And each balcony is a haven for dozens of the pigeons at night which meant that our balcony was filled with very old and new pigeon poop. So much so that we dare did not walk out onto our balcony, even with our tennis shoes on.

Of course this is just my opinion but I did think it was worth mentioning.

:eek:

Since I live in Galveston,

and have not stayed there, I did not know that.

Thanks for information.

We stayed at the Commodore on the Beach this past February and while the location and the staff was nice I have to be honest that I would not stay there again. All rooms has balconies that look out to the Gulf. And each balcony is a haven for dozens of the pigeons at night which meant that our balcony was filled with very old and new pigeon poop. So much so that we dare did not walk out onto our balcony, even with our tennis shoes on.

Of course this is just my opinion but I did think it was worth mentioning.

Archived