Port versus Starboard AFT for Glacier Bay viewing, does it really matter?

Sailkeywest

I have widely read that it is preferred to have a Port side cabin for Glacier Bay viewing, because that is the side that enters the bay and when enterring the bay the guest speakers give their descriptions. I have read that the Captain does "turn the boat around to give the Starboard side a chance for viewing," but that this is often shorter in duration and that by this time, the guest speakers are finished with their presentation.

What I have been unable to search for thus far is if it also matters if you are starboard or port if your cabin is located AFT. Does anyone have any experience they can share about this topic?

Thank you for any input :)

We were on the Port side and enjoyed the entrance to the bay. But, we really could not hear the speaker giving her descriptions very well. College Fjord was much more impressive when entering and I would recommend the Port side for that.

Well, if you stay in your cabin or on your balcony, it's hard to hear anyway, regardless of where your cabin is situated! It's much better to be out on deck, or at least in the public areas, and move from one part of the ship to the other, to really see and hear what's going on!

The best place is on the Promenade Deck, port side. Most people go to upper outside decks and very few people go down there. But view is great and no "blue" window panels in the way. And you can feel more of the enormity of the glacier because you're closer to waterline. You can also grab one of the wooden deck chaises and be able to sit. We did that for ALL of College Fjord, and then my husband did it for Glacier Bay.

If you want to really stay on your balcony and torque up your tv, choose a port cabin. Although the capt will turn the ship about, much more time is spent with port side to Marjerie Glacier.

I agree with other posters, if you stay on your balcony you will miss not only the speaker but also the atmosphere of being on deck.

However when you reach the main glacier at the head of college fjord then viewing from a lower deck, we were on Caribe, or the promenade deck is far better. Watching the glacier calving is much more spectacular from a lower level.

We were just on the 29 August Diamond Northbound. While we had a Baja deck Balcony, we found that glacier watching was much better topside and spent all our Glacier Bay and College Fjord time there. The (STBD) balcony WAS nice for comfortably watching the early morning port arrivals with coffee and pastries. ken

Archived