LAN Airlines - Carry On Luggage

ilovhywd

The LAN website specifies that carry-on luggage must be 35 cm x 25 cm and weigh 8 kg (17.5 lbs). Converting this into inches, I came up with 13.7 x 9.84 inches. I phoned LAN and they said these dimensions are correct! We think this is ridiculously small, as we always carry on our camera equipment, medications, important papers, and a clothing change. Our smallest piece is 20" x 14".

We have two international flights and four domestic flights within Argentina.

Has anyone had any experience with LAN? Are they really strict about the size of the carry-on?

There is a previous thread on this topic, but nothing recent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The LAN website specifies that carry-on luggage must be 35 cm x 25 cm and weigh 8 kg (17.5 lbs). Converting this into inches, I came up with 13.7 x 9.84 inches. I phoned LAN and they said these dimensions are correct! We think this is ridiculously small, as we always carry on our camera equipment, medications, important papers, and a clothing change. Our smallest piece is 20" x 14".

We have two international flights and four domestic flights within Argentina.

Has anyone had any experience with LAN? Are they really strict about the size of the carry-on?

There is a previous thread on this topic, but nothing recent. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi-- We use the standard, at least in US, 21in bag for our carry on. Never had a problem using them on any US, European or Asia airlines. Maybe greatam has the answer.

I read the LAN website wrong! Thanks for your response.

Please ignore my post!

Glad you brought up the question anyway. 17+ pounds is still a pain. We stuff our carry on to make sure we meet the 50 pound restriction on checked bags.

I do wonder if the check the carry on's for weight.

In the previous thread a few months ago, someone said they were very strict.

Someone else wrote that they didn't bother the people wearing backpacks!

I think it's the luck of the draw (which check-in line you choose) - you could get an agent in a really good mood or you could get a real stickler for the rules (read "SOB")!

Last year we had two pieces of luggage - one was 51 pounds and one was 49 pounds. They actually made us take 1 pound out of one bag and put it in the other bag! Like it matters.

Ilene

We flew LAN airlines last December from Miami. We took the standard size for carryon and it weighed about 18-20 lbs. and they did not weigh it or measure it. Along with that I had my coat, purse and cosmetic bag and no one said anything. That was from Miami and then our return flight was from Santiago, Chile and same thing. No one checked or measured.

This year we are flying Qantas to Australia in November and I hear they are very strict with weighing and measuring.

LAN is fairly lenient on flights from the USA. NO overweight bags, but they are NOT especially picky about sizes (unless they REALLY look oversize). However, I believe a lot of that will be changing with the new rules instituted by AA and BA (OneWorld partners of LAN) and they will become more strict about sizing.

On intra-South America flights, and ESPECIALLY the Lima/Cusco, Lima/Juliaca flights, LAN gets much more picky about carryon sizes. There are a LOT of backpackers going to these areas. Some of them have HUGE backpacks with sleeping bags and sleeping pads. LAN is very diligent trying to keep the size down because there just isn't enough room on the plane for oversized luggage. And of course, a lot of it is the luck of the draw.

And gate agents have the option of making you gate check your luggage IF it appears the luggage is oversized or the overheads in the plane are filling up. I am a top tier OneWorld FF, so don't have as much hassle as many, but on a couple of flights, they have made me gate check my carryon. BE PREPARED with REALLY important stuff in one SMALL bag (I use my laptop bag for paperwork, a toothbrush, camera, etc). The clothes, shampoo, makeup and stuff in the carryon can be easily gate checked. I actually would rather gate check my not top priority carryon. Saves me having to hassle finding space in the overhead.

Archived